GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Golf R Blown Engine... (threw a rod)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
There isn't any real automatic TD1 system employed, the technician still has to manually query the ecm for a flash that hasn't been ran through the diagnostic software. If the date that the last flash has been recorded at differs from what is listed, it is then TD1.

Yeah its not an automatic over the air reporting system. Before any powertrain related warranty work, i would assume the flash counter check is mandatory and the technician or dealership has zero control over this. Data is automatically reported in VW's system and they take the final call.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Yeah its not an automatic over the air reporting system. Before any powertrain related warranty work, i would assume the flash counter check is mandatory and the technician or dealership has zero control over this. Data is automatically reported in VW's system and they take the final call.

Yes and no, if there is a flash on the car and I know, I don't really care unless the flash is directly related to the fault, i.e. turbine overspeeds etc. If there is a blown engine, for example on a GTI. VTA will request you run a specific test plan that will determine if a flash has been done. If that passes than things are good to go. There has been on rare occasions where a new owner was unaware the vehicle was flashed due to ownership change, the ecm could be sent straight to Germany. After that it is up to VWoa to determine if they will cover replacement of the ECM and whatever failed component. It is true that any warranty work has to have a log sent in for verification of failed components. The flash wont always be easily noticed unless someone is looking for it. At that point the technician will need to provide more information.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So my story has a happy ending.... It has been determined by VW that my tune likely did not cause this failure and the entire cost of my repairs is being covered :)

Oh wow. That’s awesome. What did they say caused it instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow. That’s awesome. What did they say caused it instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The service manager thinks it was detonation. I don't recall him say what he thought caused the detonation.

I think it was bad gas that I got from a station that may have had tanks contaminated by sea water last season. Or that it had something to do with my higher concentration of the Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner due to the pump resetting while I was pumping gas. Or both...

The failure happened withing 5 miles of the previously described experience.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
So my story has a happy ending.... It has been determined by VW that my tune likely did not cause this failure and the entire cost of my repairs is being covered :)

HOORAY!!!!!!!! Man I bet you are one happy dude. Now take that $10k you saved and go to Vegas.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
:D

Attachments

• output_Wm64aZ.gif
    output_Wm64aZ.gif
    405.9 KB · Views: 655

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
Great news! A great story about VW warranty and helps offset those that only have bad things to say about VW and dealers.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2 & BCS Exhaust

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Well that is awesome for you. Can’t believe you got it covered, being 3rd party tuned and all, but who cares, happy day for ya!!! Hope you get her back soon to enjoy again.