GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new JB4 install - same boost levels?

Scorpione

Hey Guys,

New to this community and new to VW.

Ive recently installed a JB4 on my 2017 Alltrack. Got it from a friend while he's away training for the military. He was running it on his R.

Ive ran it probably for 70miles or so and feel no real difference. Logged it to my computer and noticed the ecu_psi and boost are the same read-outs. Thats not right, is it?

How long should it take for the ECU to "learn" the new parameters. I have a similar piggyback set up on my Abarth, and when I un-install/install for dealer visits its pretty immediate.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• boost log copy.jpg
    boost log copy.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 754

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Map 0 is stock. It takes about 20 minutes of driving upon installation for it to start taking effect.

When you were on Map 2, did you ever floor it? The JB4 takes into consideration your gas pedal position (among other parameters) so that it's adding or targeting the appropriate N psi. In the screenshot you have, the low boost values in the map 2 columns indicate a calm foot at the time you logged, especially compared to what you have in the Map 0 columns.

If you're not running at least 91 octane, you may want to try map 1 first. Map 2 might be too aggressive (even 91 octane here in California can be hit-or-miss when using map 2).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Scorpione

it takes about 20 minutes of driving upon installation for it to start taking effect.

this might be a stupid question, but i only drive 30 mins or so to get to work and back and havent gone on anything longer. I just figured it was overall Kms and not driving time. What i mean is my abarth ECU learns for the first so many miles, after that its set. not on driving time. my point is maybe i havent driven long enough for ecu to learn new parameters?

When you were on Map 2, did you ever floor it? The JB4 takes into consideration your gas pedal position (among other parameters) so that it's adding or targeting the appropriate N psi. In the screenshot you have, the low boost values in the map 2 columns indicate a calm foot at the time you logged, especially compared to what you have in the Map 0 columns.

Thanks. ya sorry that screen shot was just from start up. below is with higher values. i remember flooring it best i could within reason. maybe i'll take it out on freeway and do some rolling accel. I thought i was flooring it, but looking below i never hit above 2000rpm.

does it make a difference if DSG is in S mode? or should i put it in manual to allow for higher RPMs? also, i have driving mode in custom. should i be in sport mode? (specific to Alltracks)

RPM ecu boost
1570 1.1 0.7
1562 1.6 1.6
1598 2 2
1673 2.3 2.4
1859 4.1 4.3
1866 4.5 5
1876 4.8 5.5
1893 5.4 6.8
1915 5.8 7.5
1927 6.3 8.1
1932 7 8.9
1957 8.3 9.9
1961 8.6 9.8
1979 8.3 9.5
1997 8.1 9.4
2007 8 9.1
2017 7.6 8.5
2030 6.8 7.7
2038 6.3 7.1
2045 5.4 5.7
2033 3 3.1
2047 2.1 2.1

If you're not running at least 91 octane, you may want to try map 1 first. Map 2 might be too aggressive (even 91 octane here in California can be hit-or-miss when using map 2).

Running 87. was under the impression it only needed 87. Was told by my buddy i'd probably be ok with map 2. im currently just under 250hp on my Abarth so looking for a bigger bump up here as well!

I'll run map 1 tonight. and try for a longer ride. and see what happens.

thanks,

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
this might be a stupid question, but i only drive 30 mins or so to get to work and back and havent gone on anything longer. I just figured it was overall Kms and not driving time. What i mean is my abarth ECU learns for the first so many miles, after that its set. not on driving time. my point is maybe i havent driven long enough for ecu to learn new parameters?

Thanks. ya sorry that screen shot was just from start up. below is with higher values. i remember flooring it best i could within reason. maybe i'll take it out on freeway and do some rolling accel. I thought i was flooring it, but looking below i never hit above 2000rpm.

does it make a difference if DSG is in S mode? or should i put it in manual to allow for higher RPMs? also, i have driving mode in custom. should i be in sport mode? (specific to Alltracks)

RPM ecu boost

Running 87. was under the impression it only needed 87. Was told by my buddy i'd probably be ok with map 2. im currently just under 250hp on my Abarth so looking for a bigger bump up here as well!

I'll run map 1 tonight. and try for a longer ride. and see what happens.

thanks,

D'oh you're right. It should take around 20 mi (32 km). For some reason, I thought it was time-based.

Yeah, the farther down you pin the gas pedal, the more you'll feel it. That's the beauty of this -- it feels like stock when you're simply cruising around.

The DSG mode can be set to anything. In D, your car will want to race to the highest possible gear unless you [nearly] floor it, and when you floor it, it'll take you high up in the rev range anyway. S takes you all the way to red line, which isn't always great if your turbo is running out of breath up top. You can try any of these modes and find which suits your driving style. I prefer manual mode on the stock DSG/TCU tune because of these reasons.

Driving mode shouldn't matter; my GTI is in custom as well.

The risk of running the lower octane is definitely knock. When I was running the notoriously bad 91 octane here in California, combined with our heat, my GTI was pretty much only safe with map 1. There would be a bit of timing pull in map 2. A blend of ethanol (E30) helped me out there :)

another thing i've noticed

my lane assist and auto cruise control (ACC) are deactivated since install

That would be related to the check engine light auto-clear functionality. Set Future Use D to 0. Based on my understanding, it should be set to 90 at the moment, which does the auto-clear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Scorpione

thanks for all that

That would be related to the check engine light auto-clear functionality. Set Future Use D to 0. Based on my understanding, it should be set to 90 at the moment, which does the auto-clear.

Ya, i had a couple check engine lights / warnings once I re-attached my battery. They all seemed to have auto-cleared except for these.

As for these, sorry, have no idea what you're talking about! lol

Future Use D?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
thanks for all that

Ya, i had a couple check engine lights / warnings once I re-attached my battery. They all seemed to have auto-cleared except for these.

As for these, sorry, have no idea what you're talking about! lol

Future Use D?

If you're using the JB4 program on a computer, there should be a "Future Use D" text field at the bottom right corner of the User Adjustment tab.

If you're using the JB4 mobile app, go to Settings > User Adjustment > Future Use D (all the way at the bottom).

I've personally never messed with that setting, and it came with 0 as the value when I bought my JB4 new.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
You're looking at boost levels below 2,000 rpms. You need to floor it in third from 2,500 to redline in order to log. Don't hit the kick down

Scorpione

You're looking at boost levels below 2,000 rpms. You need to floor it in third from 2,500 to redline in order to log. Don't hit the kick down

Dunno whats going on. Im punching it around town. cant floor it any harder. Still only getting 4000 rpms tops. should i be in 'D' or 'S' - my assumption was S was sport transmission setting so shouldnt it be taking it closer to redline?

best i could get on Map 2.

ecu
rpm psi boost
4174 0.7 2.7
4281 0.7 2.6
4364 0.7 2.6
4409 0.6 2.6
4461 0.4 2.7
4509 0.3 2.4
4572 2.2 2.1
4587 2 2
4638 1.8 1.8
4635 1.7 1.7
4460 1.4 1.4

A psi of 2? whats going on here?!?! im obviously missing something?

please help.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Are you flooring it? Since we aren't looking at your actually log, we can't see throttle position. If you are just a little on the gas, and not flooring it, your car ecu (or jb4 for that matter) won't ask for much boost. For DSG you should be in manual shifting mode, get into third gear, and floor the pedal starting at about 2000-2500 rpm, and leave it until you hit the red line. From what I understand though, there is a kick down switch on the DSG that if you floor it, and trip this switch, it will auto downshift, so you need to be careful to give it as much gas as you can without down shifting. If you are doing these third gear pulls right, you will accelerate up to around 80 mph, so do this on a wide open straight road, or on a highway without many cars around.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Also, check your unit settings. I believe there is a setting to show boost in Bar (or atmospheres) which you could have turned on.

Scorpione

Hey guys, thanks,

ya i had Boost units in Bar units turned on. ive now unclicked that.

any suggestions how to fix the ACC and lane assist thats gone buggered?

im out of town at the moment, but will do some highway pulls when i get home and try to do so in Manual.

since im been driving around essentially limp for weeks, you think i should detach the neg battery and reattach so im basically starting from scratch? would that make a difference?

thanks,

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Hey guys, thanks,

ya i had Boost units in Bar units turned on. ive now unclicked that.

any suggestions how to fix the ACC and lane assist thats gone buggered?

im out of town at the moment, but will do some highway pulls when i get home and try to do so in Manual.

since im been driving around essentially limp for weeks, you think i should detach the neg battery and reattach so im basically starting from scratch? would that make a difference?

thanks,

Read what faults you have with the JB4. Typically this wont reset themselves if certain engine fault codes are stored.

Scorpione

Read what faults you have with the JB4. Typically this wont reset themselves if certain engine fault codes are stored.

thanks george, i dont remember there being any codes listed under the 'codes' tab of the JB4 app, but will take a look Wednesday and update.

thanks for chiming in.