GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashcam

aylesby

Looking for an inconspicuous front and rear camera for a 7.5 Golf hatch. Any advice on a shop or installer in Cheshire would be welcome. Did a forum search and this last came up in 2016.

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m following this with interest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amrit

Buy a nextbase i have one installed at the front of my GTD previously had an RAC one but sold it as the nextbase is far easier to use and superior to the RAC in my opinion. Also noticed when i changed my cam from.RAC to nextbase on my insurance online they provided a bit of a discount. Currently with swiftcover.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Thinkware F770 or F800 had the former in my car for a couple of years and had zero problems. It is fit and forget. Or have a look in your local Halfrauds as they now carry a decent range of them.

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
Nextbase for me, I bought a small attachment to replace the one that came with it.
It’s behind the mirror, and still permanently stuck even in these 30c + temps.
Although camera can be removed from it.
This actually filmed an accident where there was sadly a fatality.
The police remarked on its quality and time etc from it. I hope it don’t witness a similar occurrence.

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
Had one of these mobius cams installed for nearly 3 years now. Never missed a beat and so small as to be invisible behind the rear view mirror.
https://www.joovuu.com/gb/car-cameras/228-mobius-car-pack.html

I have the same, front and back, although I got mine from:
http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mobius-action-camera-dash-cam-version.html

Although there is no screen and no GPS, these are unimportant to me and the image quality is excellent in both day and night situations.

The front camera is stuck to the windscreen and has always been firmly attached for these past three years. The rear one, however, I attached to the lining just in front of the hatchback and, during this very hot weather, it dropped off several times. I resolved that problem with a bit of bent wire coat hanger(!) looped over the lip of the internal plastic behind the rubber seal. Now it definitely won't drop off even if I swing on it!

Last edited:

nick.stevens74

Looking for an inconspicuous front and rear camera for a 7.5 Golf hatch. Any advice on a shop or installer in Cheshire would be welcome. Did a forum search and this last came up in 2016.

I purchased a BlackVue DR750S from Halfords, and I was all set to let them fit it, until I heard some horror stories about Halfords dash cam fitting.

So I’m now having it fitted at my local VW Main Dealer where I bought the car from as it won’t affect the warranty.
But it’s costing me £132 for the fitting their, but worth every penny IMO to have the peace of mind to know it will be done properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I purchased a BlackVue DR750S from Halfords, and I was all set to let them fit it, until I heard some horror stories about Halfords dash cam fitting.

So I’m now having it fitted at my local VW Main Dealer where I bought the car from as it won’t affect the warranty.
But it’s costing me £132 for the fitting their, but worth every penny IMO to have the peace of mind to know it will be done properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

£132 to fit a dashcam? Are you mental?

You can do it yourself in a few minutes and it does nothing that voides the warranty...

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
£132 to fit a dashcam? Are you mental?

You can do it yourself in a few minutes and it does nothing that voides the warranty...

Hear hear. I did mine myself, although admittedly I just plugged both units into the provided sockets (front and boot) rather than connecting directly to the fusebox.

SilverFox1

I got the VW recommended Kenwood DRV 410. It is inconspicuous, but it has a knurled knob to secure it to the pad glued to the windscreen, and it keeps moving. Every time I clean the inside of the screen, I have to re-set it, and aligning it is fiddly. On a 16GB card it records 3 or 4 hours only, then overwrites. I've tried to look back for pictures, even just a couple of days (an idiot driving through a red light), only to find they've long gone. The ONLY way to view the images is to remove the micro SD card and plug it into a PC and use the Kenwood Drive Viewer software.

In my last car I had a hardwired Blackvue 650 with rear camera that plugged into it. Excellent - until I had to relocate the front camera and in the process damaged the plug on the cable to the back camera. That connected to an app on my mobile using its own wifi, allowing me to view or download files. I could also remove the micro SD card if required to copy files to PC to view there as well. I wish I'd bought one of them, and may still do and get rid of the Kenwood.