GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canadian tire gas not top tier

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I usually buy Canadian tire gas as it’s convenient and I like the bonus money.
My gti arrives next week and is seems to be a good idea to run only top tier gas.
This is the response to my inquiry
Canadian Tire stands behind our products and services and maintains strict control procedures to ensure the quality of our gasoline. All Canadian Tire gasoline is provided by major oil companies whose products meet or exceed all government standards for motor fuel.

Canadian Tire buys and sells fuels from main Canadian refiners but does not have a 'Top Tier' designation at this time.

While we do not have any further details surrounding the implemention of this certification, you can always check back with us periodically to see if there’s been any change in this regard.

They’ve just converted many highway gas stops to CTC. I guess I’ll have to get gas off the highway

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Crappy Tire sells gas? Had no idea

blitz869

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn’t waste any of my money at Canadian tire on gas or at their stores. Just my 2 cents.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
I find them useful if you know exactly what you need and don’t except any knowledgeable staff, and it’s at least 50% off as they are 25% too high to start with. Along with Walmart I can get synthetic oil at a decent price when on sale

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Shell 91 is the way to go if you're untuned. 4 cents off if you use Airmiles.

I go to Costco for 91 as they typically resell Shell fuel on the cheap and they're top-tier rated.

Canada Golf R

There are only so many refineries spread over the country. If your in a place that only has one refinery (say shell) chances are all the local gas stations (within hundreds of km) pick up their fuel there (shell, petrocan, Costco, Canadian tire, esso, etc.).

The refinery sells / transfers finished products to a terminal (via pipe / rail) - that has holding tanks. These finished products are then sold to all companies in the local area and you can see all makes of trucks picking up fuel there. When trucks come to pick up a certain brand, there are small amounts of additives added (less than 1%), but the "base" fuel is common stock. That base fuel has to pass the same octane test - a common industry test.

Octane is octane. The issue arises from the finished tanks and the garage tanks. Sometimes small amounts of rainfall can get in or tanks have residue at the bottom that can get mixed up - both cause quality issues. If your happy with Canadian Tire gas station and the gas you get - keep purchasing it there. A top tier certificate really means nothing.

Jdreg

Ready to race!
While waiting for my Gti, and learning as much as I could about them, it appeared to me that the use of top tier is supposed to be beneficial for them. I think a primary reason is decreased deposit build up on the valves of direct injection engines. I read that VW recommends top tier. So now I’m only putting Canadian Tire gas in my Mazda 3, as I still think they have the best rewards program.

ieddtech

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn’t waste any of my money at Canadian tire on gas or at their stores. Just my 2 cents.

EXACTLY! Why would ANYONE spend ANY money at Crappy Tire?!?!?!?

I avoid it like the plague! I've owned 25 cars in 41 years of driving. (All but the first one were VW's.) Not ONE of them had or ever will be anywhere near a Crappy Tire Automotive (LOL) "Repair" place.

Where I live, Costco sells top tier gas at 20 cents below big oil companies prices for 91. Filled up today @ $1.489 for 91. The next cheapest gas here for 91 is $1.569 and the most expensive is $1.689. So, I see it as saving .20/L.

adam1991

Banned
I don't have a costco membership but I see huge lineups there all the time. Not worth it.

Must be the time of day.

Anyway, the benefit to Costco gas station is that it's a very quiet, focused, in-and-out operation on a decent sized lot with LOTS of pumps and a very clear traffic pattern. No lawncare operations taking up all the space with the driver and crew inside getting smokes and Red Bull, no convenience store to crowd things up, no patchwork of drivers going different directions to clog things up, none of that.

And the pumps always work. SHOULD you have a problem, they always have a guy out there wandering around to take care of things. You're not stuck going into the convenience store and hoping he clerk has the time and knowledge to take care of it (which he usually doesn't, so you're screwed).

Drive up, use the card system and your credit card to pay, pump your gas, and out. Nothing to distract you from the task at hand.

Even better: because the traffic pattern is one way and clearly defined, they've put on very long pump hoses so you can fuel your car no matter which side of the pump you drive up to. Again, there's no jockeying around for position or waiting for the 23 Japanese cars who all need the one pump handle on the correct side for them.

The longest I've ever been in line is waiting for one car.

I go out of my way to get gas at Costco. I absolutely loathe convenience stores and their postage-stamp lots full of brodozers and trailers and ignorant people.