GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UK Petrol Maintenance Intervals Schedule

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Just trying to find the details of servicing - what and when. Service booklet has lists of what work to do but not necessarily when.
Eg pollen filter every 2 years and brake fluid initial 3 years, then every 2.
Wondered if anyone has managed to find one other than from USA cars?
Thanks.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Very many thanks. What a task!! Hadn't spotted them.
No obvious mention of any cambelt change in the Normal petrol?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nope none as for life...

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
VW says cambelt should be changed either in 5 years or at 80K miles. I got mine changed the other month.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VW says cambelt should be changed either in 5 years or at 80K miles. I got mine changed the other month.

My info is correct from VW HQ & done June 2017 T& superseded all info before that..the old every 5yrs doesn't apply to these engines...just like "change the water coolant pump" at the same time doesn't apply....

If however VW have changed their mind since June last year I'd like to see the proof...

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi golfdave,

This is where I got my information from hence why I did it.

Toothed belt in the valve drive.
In the new generation of engines, Volkswagen was also able to make further significant reductions in internal friction. Take the example of the overhead camshafts (DOHC): the drive here is not by chain, rather by a single-stage, low-friction toothed belt drive with a 20 mm wide belt and load-reducing profiled belt wheels. Actuation of the valve drive via roller cam followers and an anti-friction bearing for the high loads of the first camshaft bearing also lead to reduced friction resistances.

To ensure that the engine takes up as little mounting space as possible, ancillary components such as the water pump, air conditioning compressor and alternator are screwed directly to the engine and the oil sump without additional brackets, and they are driven by a single-track toothed belt with a permanent tension roller.

Volkswagen recommends a five year change interval for the toothed-belt.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/active-cylinder-technology-act

I might be wrong but when I saw this I thought it would be a good idea to change it just in case.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi golfdave,

This is where I got my information from hence why I did it.

Toothed belt in the valve drive.
In the new generation of engines, Volkswagen was also able to make further significant reductions in internal friction. Take the example of the overhead camshafts (DOHC): the drive here is not by chain, rather by a single-stage, low-friction toothed belt drive with a 20 mm wide belt and load-reducing profiled belt wheels. Actuation of the valve drive via roller cam followers and an anti-friction bearing for the high loads of the first camshaft bearing also lead to reduced friction resistances.

To ensure that the engine takes up as little mounting space as possible, ancillary components such as the water pump, air conditioning compressor and alternator are screwed directly to the engine and the oil sump without additional brackets, and they are driven by a single-track toothed belt with a permanent tension roller.

Volkswagen recommends a five year change interval for the toothed-belt.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/active-cylinder-technology-act

I might be wrong but when I saw this I thought it would be a good idea to change it just in case.

That's for ACT engines..what about non ACT engines?....

& TBH VWUK info is never 100% accurate......I got my info from ERWIN (VW tech Germany) & that info was valid June 2017...if Erwin states otherwise now then its valid otherwise we are still on "no need to change the belt even for ACT engines"

emz_98

Passed Driver's Ed
Ye, I changed mine because it is an ACT engine. But even so pretty sure it is good just to do it anyway if you're having doubts though right? especially if you have high mileage, I dunno I'm no professional just my opinion. Where do you recommend for me to get accurate info? I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing with my car.

Thanks!