GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink?

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok. Not sure then. Shopdap.com says the F model is for cars w rain sensors and DAP.

I just installed the "F" version in a 17' Golf R W/DAP and that's the one thing I have yet to test, the auto brights.
- UPDATE - I just pulled out the owners manual and verified that is controlled by the lane assist camera above the mirror so that should not be an issue.
I posted a couple videos on YouTube, a side-by-side look at the mirrors and a separate installation video.
https://youtu.be/Bog1QrplTIM
https://youtu.be/lIGOHgjXj2c
Everything else seems fine - The auto headlights, rain sensor, auto dimming and the new mirror has a compass and HomeLink which is why I bought it mainly.

Last edited:

dmichael1

Rotaryguy, Thanks for the youtube videos, very helpful to see the connectors up close.

I sent you a private message on selling your original mirror.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
Rotaryguy, Thanks for the youtube videos, very helpful to see the connectors up close.

I sent you a private message on selling your original mirror.

One thing to consider is that the 2017s have a longer mount than the 2016s. The "C" that I bought for my 2017 is for 2015-16, and as far as I can tell there aren't any right trim pieces that will make it work without modification with a dremel tool. I assume the reverse would be the same in using a 2017 mirror on a 2015-16.

Since I want to use the right pieces, I have an "F" on order for my 2017 and will be selling the 2015-16 "C" after I get it installed next week.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Well, lookie here.. dude just bought a new 2017 GTI Sport, and it has the Homelink mirror from the factory, listed right on his Monroney.. this must be a new thing eh? Better late than never I suppose...

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34455

Its a factory installed accessory on the maroney. Not a standard feature. Just like the Monster mats and the Cargo system, VW and all other manufacturers do this.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Its a factory installed accessory on the maroney. Not a standard feature. Just like the Monster mats and the Cargo system, VW and all other manufacturers do this.

Yes, I realize it's listed on the accessory side. VW didn't offer the Homelink mirror this way until VERY recently - people have been clamoring for the damn thing since the Mk7 came stateside in 2015. Until now, the only way to get one was to buy the part and install the damn thing yourself, which was no simple task.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
One thing to consider is that the 2017s have a longer mount than the 2016s. The "C" that I bought for my 2017 is for 2015-16, and as far as I can tell there aren't any right trim pieces that will make it work without modification with a dremel tool. I assume the reverse would be the same in using a 2017 mirror on a 2015-16.

Since I want to use the right pieces, I have an "F" on order for my 2017 and will be selling the 2015-16 "C" after I get it installed next week.

Let me know if that works for you. I have the 2017 R without DAP but with rain sensing wipers, so I was assuming "C" but it sounds like "F" may actually be the right one.

Last edited:

pitterchi

Ready to race!
Yes, I realize it's listed on the accessory side. VW didn't offer the Homelink mirror this way until VERY recently - people have been clamoring for the damn thing since the Mk7 came stateside in 2015. Until now, the only way to get one was to buy the part and install the damn thing yourself, which was no simple task.

Ahh, I guess the mirror is new. I did the install myself. You just need to be brave in removing trim pieces off the car. Once you do it though, its no big deal. The car is literally snapped on together lol.

The security screws are the hardest part IMO. Making sure you don't lose them... The DAP video is pretty good as well as the pictures ReadtheBook just shared. Great job ReadtheBook!

A little piece of advice, if you're planning on doing this install yourself, its a great time to install a dash cam too. Makes it so much easier to hide the wires safely behind the airbag with the A pillar trim removed.

adam1991

Banned
yeah, the 2018s that come with the auto-dimming mirror--they should have simply used the Homelink mirror and been done with it. But they didn't.

I added the Homelink mirror to my 2017 Autobahn. I like it.

pSyCO_007

Ready to race!
So I’m about to do this in 2015 Gti with rain sensor. I know I need the C version of the mirror. So my question is do I pull off the plastic covers first by the rearview mirror or does I just turn it counter clockwise to remove the mirror ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk