GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Experience Installing Ed's Replica R Headlights

desol8tor

Hello,

I installed Eds headlights on my Golf this past weekend. I can't outdo the tutorial and pictures that aays06 has here, but I would like to add some thoughts about my experience with the install and some notes that may help future DIYers.

Some basic information: I installed this on a Golf 1.8T SE. I worked by myself and it took 3.5 hours with some breaks in between. Also keep in mind I'm a total car newb with this being my first car purchase and first DIY mod attempt :)

1. I used a combination of aays06's guide as well as the instructions provided by Ed himself here and here for the Morimoto HID kit. This provided the guidance needed for all steps.
  2. If you're going about it yourself, consider sliding something underneath the car, especially if you're taking the bumper way off. I had a flat screen TV box (60 inch) that was perfect in case anything bad happened.
  3. Clearance can be an issue when getting to the screws underneath the car (holding the bumper on), especially if you're lowered. I was able to avoid using a jack or other device to raise the car, but it was very close and I'm not lowered. This may or may not be an issue depending on your tools at hand.
  4. Those two clips per headlight that you need to take off the originals and apply to the new headlights, take them off very carefully, preferably with a sliding-off motion. I was very aggressive and bent the bracket so much that it wouldn't clamp well. This made it difficult in two ways. 1. The clips slid off easily as I was maneuvering the new headlight into place. 2. The bolts sometimes did not catch the bottom threaded part since I had bent it out of whack. Easily caused me an extra half hour of headache.

Hopefully this information can be useful in a supplementary manner for those considering these GREAT headlights.