GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will the 2019 GTI's parking brake be electric or mechanical?

ppawlows

I do not think there will be any redesign until mk8 will roll out. Then, we will get the e-brake and digital dashboard to catch up with European models.
In my opinion a FWD car should have a manual hand brake and for this reason mk7 may be the best GTI.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
The only issue may be the integration with other systems and car manufacturers and - often misguided - legislators have history of taking away drivers' freedoms for this reason (plus "think of children").

I think this is the situation more than anything else.

It was a technical blurb in Car & Driver, can't find it online though. But it was something like 2.5 x the vehicles weight, on a x% grade, and ADA compliant or something like that lol.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I do not think there will be any redesign until mk8 will roll out. Then, we will get the e-brake and digital dashboard to catch up with European models.
In my opinion a FWD car should have a manual hand brake and for this reason mk7 may be the best GTI.

Completely agree. Especially on slick roads / snow the e-brake is a great way to rotate the car if plowing towards the guard rail during a turn. LSD does little to nothing in this case.

I do get a bit annoyed sometimes I have to turn on the car in order to roll my Golf-R in/out of my garage. My other cars run the hand lever so I can just push the car out to wash it, move them around the garage without even turning on the car, etc. I should get me a car dolly..

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Completely agree. Especially on slick roads / snow the e-brake is a great way to rotate the car if plowing towards the guard rail during a turn. LSD does little to nothing in this case.

I do get a bit annoyed sometimes I have to turn on the car in order to roll my Golf-R in/out of my garage. My other cars run the hand lever so I can just push the car out to wash it, move them around the garage without even turning on the car, etc. I should get me a car dolly..

I drove a golf R once working valet and I noticed the automatic handbrake on function when you turn the car off. I found that after turning the car off, if you press the start button to ignition on position (all the lights on the dash illuminated), press the brake, and push down on the handbrake button to release the handbrake, then shut off the ignition, the handbrake won't activate anymore.

You now have a Golf R that is shut off without the handbrake on!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If it malfunctions I don't see how you can release the rear brakes.

If the motors have extended the spindle to lock the piston & then it fails then you have a problem....

There was someone on the UK GTI forum who had the electric cables cut by some kind person at night as he left his car on his driveway...tow truck had to drag/winch the car onto the truck...nice flat spots on the tyres...& two new looms

I'm having an overdue EPB software update/recall on Tueday...but never had any real problems...

except on very steep slopes at junctions...& the autohold releases too early...so I roll back....so hit the EPB....than drive off..no problems with a manual gearbox..

As for moving car with it off..no problems I park with it off & car in gear when in garage..key in ignition start engine & it wont go back on until press it again or do & undo the seatbelt...

& they stop the car very quickly..way quicker than a handbrake (manual)..

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I drove a golf R once working valet and I noticed the automatic handbrake on function when you turn the car off. I found that after turning the car off, if you press the start button to ignition on position (all the lights on the dash illuminated), press the brake, and push down on the handbrake button to release the handbrake, then shut off the ignition, the handbrake won't activate anymore.

You now have a Golf R that is shut off without the handbrake on!

My manual 18R can be shut down and you can step out without the electronic ebrake engaging. I also don’t have autohold on.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, I can turn the car off without ebrake, but how do you stop the car while it's rolling down the driveway without the car turned on?

How I roll my other cars with hand lever e-brakes is I am outside the car with one hand on the e-brake while I roll the car forward/aft using the a/b pillars. I can't do this with EPB system, I don't think, because the parking brake will either not engage or it will engage fully and then won't dis-engage unless I hop back into the car to press brake pedal, push down on the EPB button.

At this point on the Golf-R, it's just easier to just start the car and move it using engine power.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
Yeah, I can turn the car off without ebrake, but how do you stop the car while it's rolling down the driveway without the car turned on?

How I roll my other cars with hand lever e-brakes is I am outside the car with one hand on the e-brake while I roll the car forward/aft using the a/b pillars. I can't do this with EPB system, I don't think, because the parking brake will either not engage or it will engage fully and then won't dis-engage unless I hop back into the car to press brake pedal, push down on the EPB button.

At this point on the Golf-R, it's just easier to just start the car and move it using engine power.

Ah I see. Well these are the drawbacks unfortunately, you can't partially engage the e brake like you could with a regular lever... Personally, other then wanting to do some handbrake turns while driving on snow, I don't think it would bother me that much

Now, when your caliper seizes and you have to replace it, that'll become expensive really fast. My left rear caliper just seized and I got it replaced under extended warranty. The caliper is listed at 194 USD, which is probably around 300 cad, and this is the traditional style caliper... The electronic one is 346.67 USD for the caliper and 500 USD for the motor. This is MSRP price of course, but 846.67 USD just to buy a damn caliper and motor? That's insane...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
My wife's 2015 euro spec plane jane Golf has the electronic one, never had a problem with it. It is always lame to me how the US models do not adopt the European technology quicker.

I don't think it's a matter of adopting the "European" technology (actually I think Mazda lays more claims to EPB patents than any European car maker) as much as it is formulating a price/value package that is more appropriately tailored to the US market. Where else can you get a base model Golf with the 1.8 TSI 170 hp / 199 lb-ft torque? There are certain things the NAR market demands and to achieve those demands at certain price points, other stuff has to get dropped.

Tsi7

Ready to race!
WOW.. now I think I should start parking my Golf-R without EPB and never use auto-hold. LOL. Thanks for the heads up!

Yea I generally don't use the handbrake because of past experiences with calipers seizing... Well what do you know, my mk7 caliper seized right where the handbrake lever is on the caliper, otherwise it seemed to be ok...I still use it but only steep gradients

Some say if you don't use the handbrake at all, that's why it seizes, others say if you use it, there's more chances of it seizing... Seems like you're screwed either way :rolleyes:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
If it's 46G7, don't do it. I had nothing but problems with my EPB following that update last November - still hasn't been sorted.

I have no idea what number it is, they just stated it needs doing & that its a "new" update as I stated I thought these had been around for 1yr....

Anyway I have done a full scan & adaptions log..so I can see what settings are changed...in these channels..

What problems have you had?...

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I have no idea what number it is, they just stated it needs doing & that its a "new" update as I stated I thought these had been around for 1yr....

Anyway I have done a full scan & adaptions log..so I can see what settings are changed...in these channels..

What problems have you had?...

Following the update, the car began rolling back, auto hold failing regularly, and the vehicle releasing the parking brake when starting the engine without trying to move off.

They managed to fix everything apart from the last part, which I'm still fighting.

Have a gander through my threads; I think I've posted about it before in the UK section.