GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40 roll

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
With no actual knowledge beyond the fact the 2nd will take you to 70 in a manual, I'm gonna say 2nd.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If DSG, 3rd. 2nd is so friggin' short.

Seconding this. 3rd will take you to 90mph if you want. After about 80 I'll shift into 4th. Probably past the HP curve when I shift, but I like the noise.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If you can hook, absolutely 2nd gear.

The fact that it's short doesn't matter when your shift time is non-existent with the DSG.

I'd have to test it, but I'm pretty sure my car is faster spinning in 2nd than hooked in 3rd, but that will vary by setup.

I'll mess with the Dragy and see which is faster (results may be unique to my car obviously).

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
On a tuned/piggback manual you can hit it in 3rd @ 40 mph in the meat of the torque. :).

VAG_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
2nd gear for sure, you will be right in the middle of the powerband, shift time is too fast to matter.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
at 40 mph if you don't start in 2nd gear you're going to lose to whatever you're racing. Let the tires spin for a few seconds then shift into 3rd in manual mode and it will hook.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
at 40 mph if you don't start in 2nd gear you're going to lose to whatever you're racing. Let the tires spin for a few seconds then shift into 3rd in manual mode and it will hook.

OR... Buy good tires, actually hook in second, and destroy whatever your racing against. With a few OBD11 tweaks 2nd is my favorite gear.

Please don't make another thread asking what OBD11/VCDS tweaks you should do...

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
OR... Buy good tires, actually hook in second, and destroy whatever your racing against. With a few OBD11 tweaks 2nd is my favorite gear.

Please don't make another thread asking what OBD11/VCDS tweaks you should do...

Lol that works too!