GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What happens when you push/hold the start button while driving...Dont try this!!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Seriously, I want my life back. Who is accidentally holding on to the kessy button while driving?

Something that you can do in case your gas pedal is stuck. Though the brake pedal automatically kills all throttle input if your gas pedal is stuck.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
I think it also shuts the car off if you quickly tap the start/stop button twice.

Yes indeed! I'm used to hitting the mode button twice to get in to the next mode. I hit the start button twice by accident. Instant engine off.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
LOL. I have had to do this on my mk7 twice now.

Just hit the clutch and hit the button twice. Wait a tick, start it, put the car in the right gear (usually 6) and turn it on.

The reason I have done it twice was due to the AC. It was not working, and for some reason restarting the car fixes the issue.

As long as there are no other cars around, you're fine.

kairojya

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought a 2016 Shelby GT350 last summer. My oil pump died (OPG shattered) around 7,000 rpm while doing a WOT pull (8250 rpm redline). I quickly put the clutch in and took the car out of gear, and was trying to kill the engine via the start/stop button while rolling/braking to a stop at a safe place on the side of the road. I was unable to turn the car off until I came to a complete stop. It could've been useful had I known on that particular platform you have to hold the button in for a few seconds to kill the engine. I kept pressing it over and over, with clutch in (in neutral) and with clutch out (in neutral), but I never tried just holding it.

In my case, it didn't matter much as the engine was replaced under warranty, but it could've mattered if I were rebuilding the engine myself.

DoctorKB

Passed Driver's Ed

What would be more unsafe is for it to not be possible.

Nice clickbait, though.

FYI: being able to turn off your car at any point is key to maintaining safety. If you're dumb enough to not be able to tell what button you're pressing, I'm concerned that you might be activating your wipers when you mean to use your turn signal, in which case you shouldn't be driving.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
What would be more unsafe is for it to not be possible.

Nice clickbait, though.

FYI: being able to turn off your car at any point is key to maintaining safety. If you're dumb enough to not be able to tell what button you're pressing, I'm concerned that you might be activating your wipers when you mean to use your turn signal, in which case you shouldn't be driving.
It's easier to do than you would think. :eek:

Also if you ever travel to a country where you drive on the opposite side of the car chances are very good that you'll be reaching for the wipers instead of the turn signals :p

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
The steering was not effected when the car turned off. Anything can happen. You might have a kid in the car that can press hold the button a small dog that steps on it etc.

It will be nice it there is an ignition kill switch somewhere else in case of an emergency cuz race car jk.

drt1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have hit the start button while trying to push the driving mode selection button, by mistake... it's a little easier than it would seem, while driving and not looking down at the buttons.