GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grandpa buys an R

Porknozzle

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Grampy Woody here.

I just turned 70 in December and decided to swap out my '13 Dodge Challenger for a new Golf R. So, all you young whipper snappers out there who love cars, don't despair - once a car nut, always a car nut! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to eat some soft food and then go burn up these country roads. :eek:

My Challenger:

My R:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the R

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Welcome. Yes, there are a few of us out here. Concur with a comment that those are some different driving experiences; beautiful cars.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Hi Grampy Woody here.

I just turned 70 in December and decided to swap out my '13 Dodge Challenger for a new Golf R. So, all you young whipper snappers out there who love cars, don't despair - once a car nut, always a car nut! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to eat some soft food and then go burn up these country roads. :eek:

My Challenger:

My R:
Well you've toned it down a bit visually lol! Great transitioning between fun cars. Hopefully cars are still fun in 32 yrs and not some stupid self driving pod with an override joystick. Congrats on the R! Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Grandpa likes black cars!

Nice Choice.

Refueled HABU many times from the "Q."

Porknozzle

Passed Driver's Ed
Welcome to the Forum.
Why the switch? Nice prior ride, but big change to an R. The driving experience must be a big difference.

My left knee is shot and the Challenger was a manual. I got stuck in stop-and-go traffic recently and I'm lucky it cleared up when it did. From then on I was hesitant to drive it. It was fun while it lasted and I was ready for a smaller car.

Driving the two is like day and night. The Challenger is a world class 4,000 pound touring coupe while the Golf R is a light and nimble, corner loving rocket. I was happy with the Challenger but thrilled with my R.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
My left knee is shot and the Challenger was a manual. I got stuck in stop-and-go traffic recently and I'm lucky it cleared up when it did. From then on I was hesitant to drive it. It was fun while it lasted and I was ready for a smaller car.

Driving the two is like day and night. The Challenger is a world class 4,000 pound touring coupe while the Golf R is a light and nimble, corner loving rocket. I was happy with the Challenger but thrilled with my R.

How is the R for getting in and out for you?
The MK7 sits low and the deep seats can be a challenge for some.
My wife complains about them.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Wow, grandpa's getting younger by the day, Cool dude!

Porknozzle

Passed Driver's Ed
How is the R for getting in and out for you?
The MK7 sits low and the deep seats can be a challenge for some.
My wife complains about them.

Left foot on the ground, firm grip with right hand on the steering wheel at 11:00 and push with hand and foot. And then there's always the thought in the back of my mind that someone is watching and I don't want to look like the broke down old fart that I am. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's easier to exit that the dropped Challenger.

It's the price you pay for going low.

Porknozzle

Passed Driver's Ed
Hopefully cars are still fun in 32 yrs and not some stupid self driving pod with an override joystick.

You know, we said the same thing in the 70s when American cars started transitioning to stricter emissions, but look where we are today. No guarantee of the future but if someone would have told me back then that I'd be loving a 4-banger and that automatic transmissions would be better than manuals I wouldn't have believed them.

Hot cars are a global love affair so don't despair.