GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

Mk72015

Ready to race!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Don't have a JB4, just popped in to see how the thread was going, nice to see the JB community being very helpful to each other and there is some good general car information and troubleshooting in here, keep up the good work, this is what makes forums great.

Don't worry, I'll keep these kids in line :D

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
http://www.datazap.me/u/gtijamesvag/61-deg-f?log=0&data=1-4&mark=22

settings:
1,500 : 1
2,000 : 2
2,500 : 3
3,000 : 3.4
3,500 : 4
4,000 : 4.4
4,500 : 3.8
5,000 : 3.4
5,500 : 3.0
6,000 : 2.6
6,500 : 2.0
7,000 : 1.0

FOL : 50, no adjustments to the fuel bias, safety set to 24 psi, no boost by gear. the logs were pretty clean, I wasn't able to find any stretch of road that would allow for the depth in fourth, and even third gear that I really wanted but this still shows my dilemma, if you guys are able to see the logs. what's going on is right around 4,600 - 5,000 rpm i'm getting some timing corrections in Ig. 1, with sometimes as much as 5 degrees of correction. this sucks. but other than that i'm really happy with the way the car behaved tonight. I'm thinking that the stock air box has a lot to do with this because my IAT's dropped significantly. I'd really like to find an aftermarket air intake system which could prove through logging like this that it could effectively drop IAT's.

but anyways, if anyone would care to chime in on my settings or possible causes of timing corrections/targets/ect please feel free! thanks again!

for those having trouble with datazap, here are the pictures and info from that site: 91 octane, catless dp, turbo inlet pipe (elbo) stock air box, snow catch removed, bfi stage 2 daily with smf and bfi stage 2 trans mount.

Only major thing I noticed was in the 2nd log on your 3-4 shift. You get some retard in 4th, which happens a fair amount on that shift, but your AFR jumps up then super low which causes the retard I think. Ultimately what I think might be causing this is the large difference in your boost from 3rd to 4th. You're going from 14psi before the shift to 23psi after.

It may sound counter-productive, but I'd increase your top end boost. You could probably add .5-1psi from 4500rpm to redline. Your settings are conservative so I don't think you'd be pushing it hard.

You timing advance (ign 1) looks good and increases well, which you want :)

GTIJames707

Passed Driver's Ed
Only major thing I noticed was in the 2nd log on your 3-4 shift. You get some retard in 4th, which happens a fair amount on that shift, but your AFR jumps up then super low which causes the retard I think. Ultimately what I think might be causing this is the large difference in your boost from 3rd to 4th. You're going from 14psi before the shift to 23psi after.

It may sound counter-productive, but I'd increase your top end boost. You could probably add .5-1psi from 4500rpm to redline. Your settings are conservative so I don't think you'd be pushing it hard.

You timing advance (ign 1) looks good and increases well, which you want :)

thanks man! will do! the car is behaving really well, and i'm loving the power on-set. I had the boost set so low in the high rpms because that's where I was seeing ig2-5 numbers come up, and that may have been due to the aftermarket air intake I had on, which couple'd terribly to the CTS turbo inlet, but with the stock box and tube back on with these settings i'm loving what I see in the logs and how it feels. I'll turn the boost up a little bit deep in the rpms, thanks for the advice!

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Here is my map 6 tweak. I'm going for low torque at lower rpm's because I really don't need the power in traffic commute. Plus, I like the na feel when winding out. Still rather new at this, so any comments are appreciated. One question I have is, when the ign adv peaks at 10.5 and straight lines, is this only raised by higher octane? Based on my current settings and log, of course. Running 91+ e85, between e20-e25. Thanks to all, the contributions made have been really helpful in this project. I've read the thread a couple of times through. How much of it I can retain or understand is another matter LOL

15 1.0
20 1.5
25 1.9
30 2.3
35 2.7
40 3.1
45 3.4
50 3.8
55 4.7
60 5.2
65 4.5
70 4.0

Attachments

• 2017-03-25 12.20.37.jpg
    2017-03-25 12.20.37.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 536

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Alright i will have to switch back to stock dv and see how it works out.
Put the stock dv back on and in the same 32 degree IAT i got ingition advance at the same rpm. DV+ may have been sticking and needed to be oiled. I also noticed that there were ridges going around the circumference, almost like the machining of the piston didnt leave a smooth service. I took some 5k grit sand paper and wet sanded, polished, and put some high temp bearing grease on the piston and also sanded and polished the body of the dv+ where the piston goes. Action seems to be smoother now so i might put it back on and see what happens.

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is my map 6 tweak. I'm going for low torque at lower rpm's because I really don't need the power in traffic commute. Plus, I like the na feel when winding out. Still rather new at this, so any comments are appreciated. One question I have is, when the ign adv peaks at 10.5 and straight lines, is this only raised by higher octane? Based on my current settings and log, of course. Running 91+ e85, between e20-e25. Thanks to all, the contributions made have been really helpful in this project. I've read the thread a couple of times through. How much of it I can retain or understand is another matter LOL

15 1.0
20 1.5
25 1.9
30 2.3
35 2.7
40 3.1
45 3.4
50 3.8
55 4.7
60 5.2
65 4.5
70 4.0
What are you IAT's? And the RPM's on the left side got cut off, what are they? timing advance looks great. Im kinda jealous being over here in NJ with timing pull all winter at 32 degrees IAT at 3500 rpm

Cruiser

Ready to race!
What are you IAT's? And the RPM's on the left side got cut off, what are they? timing advance looks great. Im kinda jealous being over here in NJ with timing pull all winter at 32 degrees IAT at 3500 rpm

Good question, I didn't think of that. I am juggling which values to show because with jb4 mobile, I'm limited to 12
IAT is 78-86 from 5700 - redline. Whoa, good point, because ambient is 75.
Yeah, and then in summer, I'll be crying about the heat here and pulled timing. Reckon I'll be pushed for an IC, as if I shouldn't have it already

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Good question, I didn't think of that. I am juggling which values to show because with jb4 mobile, I'm limited to 12
IAT is 78-86 from 5700 - redline. Whoa, good point, because ambient is 75.
Yeah, and then in summer, I'll be crying about the heat here and pulled timing. Reckon I'll be pushed for an IC, as if I shouldn't have it already

Octane will pick it up and temps. For your temps is a great curve.
Your boost curve is good and at that level there isn't a right or wrong since its so conservative.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

You need to splash in a little e85 and not worry about it. I'm getting full timing advance and I'm hitting almost 21psi with a 1.8 and th IS12. When it's below freezing I'm still seeing 19+psi no problem. You be able to push that IS20 more than that no problem

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion

15 1.0
20 1.5
25 1.9
30 2.3
35 2.7
40 3.1
45 3.4
50 3.8
55 4.7
60 5.2
65 4.5
70 4.0

Looks good! Like George said, curves look good. You might be able to increase it a bit more if you want Ted, but I'd be happy with that :)

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Octane will pick it up and temps. For your temps is a great curve.
Your boost curve is good and at that level there isn't a right or wrong since its so conservative.

Thanks George, at this point I'm trying to figure out what effect certain conditions and boost settings have on the logs. Feeling myself around, so to speak, without blowing something up! LOL.
Thanks for the input, it helps my confidence that I'm headed in the right direction!

Cruiser

Ready to race!
Looks good! Like George said, curves look good. You might be able to increase it a bit more if you want Ted, but I'd be happy with that :)

Thanks, I am looking to increase it, but sneaking up on it due to my limited knowledge and experience. I am kind of anticipating the coming heat of summer also. I guess I'll learn soon how high I can go and what type of curve I can use.
It's so nice to be able to custom tune, what a dream!
Car is running very smooth and powerful.
Thanks for your input and your selfless contribution to the forum!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Well you're doing great for not having much knowledge or experience! I think this week we get a hotter day in so cal, so that would be the perfect time to play with it more :) log your current settings then if they still look clean, try increasing it a bit 5000rpm up and see how it looks. Alternatively you could try map 2 which looks just a tad more aggressive than your current map I'd guess. Might give you a good starting point to work down from in certain RPMs if you get some retard