GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
How are you tuning BTW? Cobb AP? Have you spoken to UM or any other tuners? I'm sure I can get a tune created from UM if I ask with my wallet nicely, but having them on board would be sweet as well.

I use Cobb for the tuning in house and e-tuning. I know Mabo is using ED. I haven't spoken with UM directly yet, but would be very happy to have them on board with an available tune as well. As you said, I'm sure if someone with the turbo would contact them, they will likely be happy to do some tuning.

-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
i would agree. definitely the exhaust housing design. i did also notice that the space between the housing and wheel as more than i would have thought

Another possibility is an aggressive clip on the turbine wheel. But again, these are all just guesses ;)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I use Cobb for the tuning in house and e-tuning. I know Mabo is using ED. I haven't spoken with UM directly yet, but would be very happy to have them on board with an available tune as well. As you said, I'm sure if someone with the turbo would contact them, they will likely be happy to do some tuning.

-- Ed

I just wish Cobb had released the AP about a year earlier, I've always loved the concept/delivery.

With UM being "the tuner" for most big turbo kits and high HP setups now that would be a great companion. I know as a UM customer a BT tune is a $400 upgrade over an IS tune, but that is for finished files (Iroz, BOSS, and I think the APR 7163 kit) with some polishing/support. Don't know what that means for anyone starting from scratch on a hybrid.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I just wish Cobb had released the AP about a year earlier, I've always loved the concept/delivery.

With UM being "the tuner" for most big turbo kits and high HP setups now that would be a great companion. I know as a UM customer a BT tune is a $400 upgrade over an IS tune, but that is for finished files (Iroz, BOSS, and I think the APR 7163 kit) with some polishing/support. Don't know what that means for anyone starting from scratch on a hybrid.

Yep I've been working with Cobb for nearly 15 years now and they generally make some great tuning products. They're always a little bit late to the game compared to some competitors, but the end result is very impressive and worth the wait from a tuner's point of view.

If you or anyone else picks up our turbo and would like to go through UM, I may be willing to work out a little deal where I cover some of the cost of the UM tune. Assuming of course that it results in something that will be made available from UM for other customers.

Thanks
-- Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hey Ed, do you offer ceramic coating for your turbo?

Currently we don't, but its in the plans. We're actually working on a really nice wrap-around heatshield option for the turbine that may negate the need for ceramic coating.

-- Ed

MK7Davey

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Ed, this turbo excites me quite a bit and I can imagine I'll pull the trigger on it in the coming months here. I did have an interesting question as well though. Why do you think Cobb doesn't have MPI support currently and from what I have heard won't support it in the future as well?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion

UM does have hybrid files and he will log and revise your tune remotely to get it running perfect at no charge once you purchase a file. Only thing you'll have do is pay your local UM dealer for his time to do the logs and reflashes.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
UM does have hybrid files and he will log and revise your tune remotely to get it running perfect at no charge once you purchase a file. Only thing you'll have do is pay your local UM dealer for his time to do the logs and reflashes.

Good info, I figured there had to be a starting point and a few back and forth log/flash sessions that UM would do without too much trouble.

I feel like this turbo, an LPFP/HPFP or MPI upgrade and tune would be a much better use of $3500 (versus a BOSS kit) to get a streetable ~450hp.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Good info, I figured there had to be a starting point and a few back and forth log/flash sessions that UM would do without too much trouble.

I feel like this turbo, an LPFP/HPFP or MPI upgrade and tune would be a much better use of $3500 (versus a BOSS kit) to get a streetable ~450hp.

you don't need any of those for 450hp. 450 whp ( and wanting to be safe) a lpfp is all you will need

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
On 91ACN on a dynojet? hmmmmm If it takes mpi, a 450 walbro and E50 on a Boss600 to make 470 I just don't see it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=634895&postcount=85

That was my thought too, one dyno's 450whp is another dyno's 450chp, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. A Mustang Struggle Dyno 450whp needs fueling IMO.

I'd like to try a drop in LPFP and a HPFP upgrade to see how far that would get me before adding MPI. With just a lil'E85 I think that's an easy way to 450, but the cost/labor difference between a HPFP and MPI are shrinking at this point sooo....

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
On 91ACN on a dynojet? hmmmmm If it takes mpi, a 450 walbro and E50 on a Boss600 to make 470 I just don't see it.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=634895&postcount=85

Diggs - that's a mustang dyno.

613b6, local to us, did around 440whp on completely stock fueling on 29-30 psi on his 500 (on pump 94).

If you have race/good pump fuel, you can get away with 450 on stock HPFP/no mpi.

Don't even bother with a HPFP unless you plan on stopping at small turbo/IS38. The minute you want to crank it, you are already maxed.