GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the vacuum line for?

Gonrcng

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the vacuum line for that is in the top of the factory air box on the 2015 R. Installing a CTS intake and see in the instructions to plug it into the second small filter billet adaptor that the secondary breather plugs into. I don't have a secondary breather. Anyone know what this line controls?

Gonrcng

Passed Driver's Ed
The vaccum line is for intake runner flaps and the large diameter hose made of plastic is secondary air (need a breather on this)

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hmmm intake flappers? What do they do? Not the exhaust flaps that open and close correct?
Installed a CTS intake and connected it behind the filter. Driving the car seems ok a lot more intake and turbo sounds which I like. Just wanting to learn what this line controls and make sure the intake won't cause me any issues... Thanks so much for any info. And I only have the vacuum line. No secondary.

Last edited:

JSoler

Ready to race!
Sorry for the late response, I did t even know you replied? Stupid tapatalk. Lol.

Google Intake manifold runner flaps mk6 - mk7 they have the same style runner flaps

Intake flappers, whatever you want to call them. Lol

ara35

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious.. what are the consequences of not having this connection in place? I looked and saw it came disconnected and made sure I put it back on but what exactly is the vacuum line doing??

JSoler

Ready to race!
Opening and closing the flaps. Without the vacuum you pull a check engine light and could lose performance among other things

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
That's not the vacuum source for the flaps, it's merely a dump/vent for the vacuum solenoid.

JSoler

Ready to race!
Wrong... Disconnect it, check the code you pull. Lol. I did by accident and upon checking the code it literally said intake manifold flaps

elamothe15

Ready to race!
Wrong... Disconnect it, check the code you pull. Lol. I did by accident and upon checking the code it literally said intake manifold flaps

I don't think you'll pull a code. I had mine mistakenly removed for ~500 miles and never noticed performance issues or threw a code

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Block it right off and you will, ask anyone that had the first revision IE intake and didn't pay attention during the install.Lol.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Block it right off and you will, ask anyone that had the first revision IE intake and didn't pay attention during the install.Lol.

In that case it's not able to pull oxygen. I believe it is for pulling small amounts of air during start up and idle to manipulate the manifold runners so the engine can receive air when car is not moving (it bypasses everything, not charged, no ic, etc.) . That is my best guess.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
:eek: Whatever this hose does - it sure screws up your MPG if it's disconnected!!!

I have been getting horrible MPG since the dealer replaced my water pump back in September. I struggled to get 24mpg while trying to get good mpg (normally I don't try too hard if you know what I mean). On a long trip where I would get 33+ average, I could barely get close to 29mpg average. This past weekend I was looking under the hood and realized that vent or vacuum line (definitely don't think it's simply venting stuff after this) wasn't connected to the intake top cover. Found it dangling from under the intake manifold, and pushed it back on. Well, magically I'm back to getting great MPG again. I can hit 30+ to and from work like I was used to. Never had a CEL and the engine really didn't feel off. Drove a good 3K miles with it off... :/

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The hose is just connected to the air box to pull (or dump) filtered air for the intake flaps. If it wasn't connected to the airbox or a filter, it would just be pulling in unfiltered air, which could dirty up or damage the solenoid/diaphragm. Unless it's a different hose that is disconnected that actually sees vacuum from the intake manifold it should not have any effect on drivability or fuel economy.