GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex breakdown

liljonny16

Ready to race!
It can be bought seperately, best price I saw was for ~$300 new for the H revision, which superseded the D revision.

I just installed the used D revision(car had a D originally) that I bought and my AWD launches are back to normal. Barely any wheel spin and it just throws you back into the seat :D I'm just waiting for the rain to start to test again but the 4 launches I just did were perfect

So it seems my issue was the controller and not the pump but at least I have a new pump in there and a spare that practically didn't get used as my controller was bad

Awesome!!!! Glad you were able to get it fixed for the low!

Thork

It can be bought seperately, best price I saw was for ~$300 new for the H revision, which superseded the D revision.

I just installed the used D revision(car had a D originally) that I bought and my AWD launches are back to normal. Barely any wheel spin and it just throws you back into the seat :D I'm just waiting for the rain to start to test again but the 4 launches I just did were perfect

So it seems my issue was the controller and not the pump but at least I have a new pump in there and a spare that practically didn't get used as my controller was bad

Man that's great news!! Glad to hear for some of us, the fix does not involve a compete diff replacement, or even complete clutch assembly like I got.

Still not sure why so many online got complete diff replacement under warranty? Maybe VW got wise hehe

Last edited:

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Man that's great news!! Glad to hear for some of us, the fix does not involve a compete diff replacement, or even complete clutch assembly like I got.

Still not sure why so many online got complete diff replacement under warranty? Maybe VW got wise hehe

Great news indeed! Thank God for the forums! This information could potentially save a lot $$$ for some of us. I just purchased a used controller. I'll be sure to update you all with the outcome when it arrives.

Thork

Great news indeed! Thank God for the forums! This information could potentially save a lot $$$ for some of us. I just purchased a used controller. I'll be sure to update you all with the outcome when it arrives.

Please do!

I'm sure it's more than just us 3 reading... Haha

Calkulin

Ready to race!

If I had to guess, it's cause it's easier and more cost effective to just replace it all at once then spend hours diagnosing piece by piece what the issue is. After seeing your dismantled pics, I figured out the haldex system was simpler than I thought, there's really only 3 pieces that make the haldex work(pump, controller & clutches), so being that after 30k my fluid looked like new and the pump filter was spotless, I knew the clutches were ok and the issue was that the controller wasn't turning on the pump when needed. Problem with buying a used controller is that you don't know if it's good or not, so it's pure luck there but at least they do sell them new if someone needed one

Here's to hoping it works for you also, did you replace the pump already?

And as a side note, I did a 4k launch with launch control(UM tuned) in pouring rain and not 1 hint of wheel spin, so I would say my Haldex is back to 100% working condition

Last edited:

Thork

And as a side note, I did a 4k launch with launch control(UM tuned) in pouring rain and not 1 hint of wheel spin, so I would say my Haldex is back to 100% working condition

That's awesome!

I was originally concerned this happened after so few miles, hopefully it doesn't turn into a recurring maintenance issue... but even if it does, it's good to know that we can try the cheaper parts replacements first before going with entire clutch/diff replacements.

liljonny16

Ready to race!
I am happy to report that a new Haldex Control Module has fixed my issue! :D So that's two of us now. :cool:

Thank you Calkulin for making me give a go.

Thork

I am happy to report that a new Haldex Control Module has fixed my issue! :D So that's two of us now. :cool:

That's fantastic!

You two order new control modules? What's the part number?

Thanks!

liljonny16

Ready to race!
Interesting...

Indeed! It would appear that the Haldex Module itself is the culprit behind these issues we're having. I'm not sure exactly what's causing it to go bad. Maybe some bad memory? Because it seems like it's just forgetting/losing the ability to request the proper amount of pressure.

I opened my old one up to see if maybe there was a short or bad soldering point. But it looks peachy.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Indeed! It would appear that the Haldex Module itself is the culprit behind these issues we're having. I'm not sure exactly what's causing it to go bad. Maybe some bad memory? Because it seems like it's just forgetting/losing the ability to request the proper amount of pressure.

I opened my old one up to see if maybe there was a short or bad soldering point. But it looks peachy.

I'm glad it worked for you too. I haven't opened my old one yet but I probably wouldn't find anything like you. I'll crack mine open this weekend to see tho

That's fantastic!

You two order new control modules? What's the part number?

Thanks!

0CQ 907 554 D is what mine and liljonny16's car had but that has been superseded by 0CQ 907 554 H. I have also seen 0CQ 907 554 J thrown around as the newest version but my dealer said rev H was the latest for my car, so I couldn't say if rev J works on cars that came with a D controller originally. If my replacement controller decides to take a crap again tho, I'll definitely get one of the newer part #'s as that would mean rev D is prone to fail

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I'm glad it worked for you too. I haven't opened my old one yet but I probably wouldn't find anything like you. I'll crack mine open this weekend to see tho

0CQ 907 554 D is what mine and liljonny16's car had but that has been superseded by 0CQ 907 554 H. I have also seen 0CQ 907 554 J thrown around as the newest version but my dealer said rev H was the latest for my car, so I couldn't say if rev J works on cars that came with a D controller originally. If my replacement controller decides to take a crap again tho, I'll definitely get one of the newer part #'s as that would mean rev D is prone to fail

J is what is in from factory for 2018 R's, FYI.