GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Strange turbo/egr/dv flutter sound

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently I have noticed a kind of fluttering or flapping sound that happens every now and then (not often) when I am pulling away from a stand still. The car hesitates just ever slightly but keeps accelerating, then it goes away and drives fine for days/week before it occurs again. It kind of sounds like a metal flap getting stuck, then loosening up...the sound is coming from the middle front area of my dash near the windshield. Which makes me think it is around the DV+ area. A friend who is a mechanic said it could be the EGR valve, maybe the DV+, but he wasnt' sure.

Has anyone else had this sound, had it addressed?
I have the DV+ installed, and it has been fine. I put oil on it, etc....but could it be the cause?

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Why not take it off and find out?

Ha! Well, yeah I could start taking things out to see, but I'd rather know if someone already has experienced it before I start just removing parts.

Like I said, it doesn't happen every day or week, its apparently random...so I wouldn't know for a month or more realistically if that was it. And the DV+ is just a guess. I'm assuming others have had theirs in for years w/o this sound appearing. But according to my mechanic friend, could be the EGR...?

If nobody chimes in, I might remove the DV+, and go back to the stock air intake while I'm at it, but was hoping someone had already experienced this.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I have yet to switch out the diverter valve. I plan on doing it before I take a road trip for the Panthers game up in DC :), but honestly the fluttering is very sporadic. It happens seldom, and it goes away and the GTI drives fine after that.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
I removed the DV+ as well as my Injen CAI last night. So I'm completely back to stock now, and will be able to hear better if that flutter shows its face again.

...when it happened to me I was not WOT, just starting from a standstill, normal acceleration.

.....also, fwiw, I could also not tell any appreciable difference in pickup, responsiveness, etc., etc.,...probably staying stock.

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a follow-up on this...it seems as the summer months are approaching the hesitation/fluttering sound has returned. Since the DV+ doesn't appear to be the culprit...I'm wondering if this is an issue with the turbo.

Everytime it happens, power fades, and when it stops, power returns.
It lasts for only a couple seconds at best, then drives normally.

Guess it's time for a trip to the shop...

rgiskard

Passed Driver's Ed
https://youtu.be/XH_r4VzUkaY?list=PL0m4RhJhAmrdYAi4kbtHqMhtFLggTvcbe&t=368

Let me know if that is the mystery. I spent a whole 20 minutes looking for that. :p

Thanks for finding that!

Took me a bit to hear the sound, but that is really really close to what I hear, although he doesn't mention any loss in power when it happens, so I am not sure it is exactly the same thing.

I am waiting on a loaner to take it in for VW to try and figure it out. It's still under warranty, so we'll see.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
I would venture to guess that a loss of power is the ecm pulling timing maybe due to knock detection?

Maybe your plugs and/or coils arent cooperating?

I run the Cobb Access Port and think its a handy tool. They have quite a few meter readers in the device.

Cliff p.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf R DSG
Holy crap. I was wondering if this mysterious sound was my diverter valve for the past week or so. I had never noticed it before (and was running stock PCV system). for the past few weeks I've been running the Spulen OCC setup, and the noise appeared shortly after.

Interesting.