GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf production coming to an end at Mexico

wlfpck

Ready to race!
My concern would be that VW drops the Mk8 in the USA. Already, the Mk7 is a touch on the "high" side of new car pricing in it's small segment. If Mk8s had to come from Germany, would VW even bother? I see a LOT of GTI love here in the PNW. I feel like either the Dieselgate deals on GTIs or VW moving people from TDIs to GTIs has caused the roads here to be absolutely flush with GTIs. They are not as common as Prius yet, but I see more GTIs than I would ever expect. But maybe in the entire USA they no longer fit into the VW corporate goals?

The automaker I am really respecting right now is Honda. They seemed to have lost their way, the recent CivicX was a stumble IMO also, but the new 2018 Accord shows that Honda is doubling-down AGAINST crossovers and SUVs. Even though Honda is in a good position with very popular crossovers and SUVs, they still put all of their heart into the latest Accord. I wonder if it is because it was the car that made them what they are today?
2 types of turbo motors, one from the CTR
6MT available on both turbo motors
2 different types of ATs
LED headlights and tails on every trim
all kinds of standard features
reasonable pricing

I feel like VW may just abandon the US market with the Mk8

I doubt they'd abandon the GTI in the US. With the market segment being the WRX, Civic SI, Focus ST... they'd lose out by not having the GTI here.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
GTi's in my area are very sparse. I see them occasionally and I've only noted 2 other MK7's. GTi's for me are still a kind of rare breed around here in Illinois. I'm just outside Chicago with a population of about 160,000. But, we only have 1 VW dealer and they don't have a large presence since they sell also sell, Buick, Chevy, GMC, BMW and other makes.

I don't think VW will abandon the US market with the MK8 GTi.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Honda sells a lot more cars and can therefore afford to have many variants and upgraded options. Even the new Corolla has some of the technology you can only get on an Autobahn edition GTi. But how do they compare driving wise? Night and day, I'd take a de-contented GTi S over a fully loaded Corolla every time! Two different types of cars aimed at different segments of the market. Hell, I'd even take a base Golf over a Corolla. If you are only comparing cars based solely on content and options, then the GTi isn't for you.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
GTIs EVERYWHERE in the Toronto area (with huge markdowns for the ones on the lot) i'm seeing them at least a couple times a day. Lots of mk6s too (not just mk7s).

See an R most days.

I would be shocked if the MK8 didn't come to NA. I'm guessing it'll still come but will just be even more watered down to save on costs. Goodbye options.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
GTi's in my area are very sparse. I see them occasionally and I've only noted 2 other MK7's. GTi's for me are still a kind of rare breed around here in Illinois. I'm just outside Chicago with a population of about 160,000. But, we only have 1 VW dealer and they don't have a large presence since they sell also sell, Buick, Chevy, GMC, BMW and other makes.

I see at least a few Mk5/6/7 GTI's every day in the City of Chicago. They're quite popular here.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I see at least a few Mk5/6/7 GTI's every day in the City of Chicago. They're quite popular here.

I don't doubt it. If I come into the City or any of the outlying 'burbs I do see more. But then within a 75 mile radius of the City there probably 15-20 VW dealerships.

In Rockford, we have just 1 dealer and they don't have the best rep and they have never had a sales model that really does any sort of volume. I went to Elgin to buy my MK7. Dealer here didn't have a single 2017 GTi on the lot for months at a time, and then it was just a couple "S" models when they did. Yet in the 'burbs each had no less than 7-10 at any one time.

I see an occasional MK6. Just recently I saw (2) MK5's like my 2009 gray 4 door GTi. I haven't seen a MK4 or Mk3 GTi all Summer.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
My concern would be that VW drops the Mk8 in the USA. Already, the Mk7 is a touch on the "high" side of new car pricing in it's small segment. If Mk8s had to come from Germany, would VW even bother? I see a LOT of GTI love here in the PNW. I feel like either the Dieselgate deals on GTIs or VW moving people from TDIs to GTIs has caused the roads here to be absolutely flush with GTIs. They are not as common as Prius yet, but I see more GTIs than I would ever expect. But maybe in the entire USA they no longer fit into the VW corporate goals?

I highly doubt that VW will remove GTI / R from the US market. Vehicle options is this segment is already less and VW will not miss out an opportunity to increase their sale numbers by reducing their models. There are a lot of brand loyal / repeating customers in this particular segment. After dieselgate, they are trying all means to increase their market share in every other possible way: by launching SUVs (they are too late to the party) and offering 6yr / 72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

If you see the sale numbers, GTI / R approximates to 10% of VW US market share. https://media.vw.com/release/1418/

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I highly doubt that VW will remove GTI / R from the US market. Vehicle options is this segment is already less and VW will not miss out an opportunity to increase their sale numbers by reducing their models. There are a lot of brand loyal / repeating customers in this particular segment. After dieselgate, they are trying all means to increase their market share in every other possible way: by launching SUVs (they are too late to the party) and offering 6yr / 72000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

If you see the sale numbers, GTI / R approximates to 10% of VW US market share. https://media.vw.com/release/1418/

Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Philly area has a crazy amount of GTIs. Just on my drive home I saw 5 different ones and we have at least 6 just on a single floor of the parking garage at work. Would be shocked if they axed the GTI. I probably see 15+ a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
The automaker I am really respecting right now is Honda. They seemed to have lost their way, the recent CivicX was a stumble IMO also, but the new 2018 Accord shows that Honda is doubling-down AGAINST crossovers and SUVs. Even though Honda is in a good position with very popular crossovers and SUVs, they still put all of their heart into the latest Accord. I wonder if it is because it was the car that made them what they are today? Good info in that link. IMO, kill the Golf. lame, lame car, is it unusual that the "sporty" model of a car WAY outsells the plain-jane version? Seems very unusual. Keep GTI, R and Sportwagen. Re-content the Sportwagen (WTF VW, why get rid of LP? your halogens suck!) and keep offering it in AWD. Nice to have an alternative to a soul-sucking Impreza with a wheez-o-matic CVT and a tepid 2.0

Honda defaults to CVTs in almost every model in the lineup (minus a 9 speed here and there, and the manuals and afew old 6 spds autos non dct). Hard to fault subaru, who actually do a better job programming the CVT modes.

Alot of people here have opted to go golf or sportwagen and tune/mod their way up and it makes sense, instead of a gti/r.

and didnt honda START the crossover craze with the STupid Crosstour/ZDX bs many years ago? I honestly think the Accord is overpriced for what it is at the moment. Leasing and MSRP both

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I don't know from where components are sourced, except for what's listed on the Monroney sticker. I had some of the same smaller components fail on my Brazilian-made GTI as my German-made GTI - door latches and cooling fans come to mind. My feeling is a German car should be made in Germany, just like a U.S. car should be made in the U.S., and a Japanese car should be made in Japan. Countries should employ their own citizens and give them the opportunity to show what they can do.

The same car built in one country costs you the same as one assembled in another country. Car makers only care about profit, and cheaper operating costs dictates where they build. I'm surprised every car isn't built in Mexico or an Asian country.

I'm not sure of your point. Auto companies and their shareholders are not allowed to make a good margin? US auto employees are getting nice bonuses because of high sales and profits. Reduce the profits by making the cars in the US and salaries and benefits go down. Or prices go up and sales go down. It's a global economy and that is not going to change.

Also , German, Japanese and Korean car companies building cars in the US employ 10's of thousands here. Not to mention their suppliers.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Honda defaults to CVTs in almost every model in the lineup (minus a 9 speed here and there, and the manuals and afew old 6 spds autos non dct). Hard to fault subaru, who actually do a better job programming the CVT modes.

Alot of people here have opted to go golf or sportwagen and tune/mod their way up and it makes sense, instead of a gti/r.

and didnt honda START the crossover craze with the STupid Crosstour/ZDX bs many years ago? I honestly think the Accord is overpriced for what it is at the moment. Leasing and MSRP both

Back in 2014 we test drove Impreza for my wife (that year Civic was a huge hell-no!). The Impreza was a dog, hard to fault the CVT as the 2.0 had no nuts at all. At the time she had the 2008 Impreza 2.5 with 4AT, that car drove really nicely, actually. We kept her old car.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!

I see a lot of GTi's in my area. There's a few in my neighborhood, just need to become friends with them haha.

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
yea subaru has always been a , just i dont know, i love them but id never want one...

vw could have gone the cvt route like others and been lame. does the e golf have a cvt? weird I never thought about that. I see tons of egolfs, the occasional r or gti, and basically a million jettas in california.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk