GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R DSG - rough shift from 1st to 2nd, & 2nd to 3rd in "D"

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Hey everyone,

Recently got a golf R with the newer 7 speed DSG. Since picking it up I've noticed that 2nd to 3rd is especially rough; best way I can explain it is it's like a new manual driver releasing the clutch a too late.

I took the car to the dealer and they saw the intake and closed the hood and refused to look at it. Understandable, I guess, I didn't care to make a deal out of it - will go to a different dealer from now on. Before I do this - does anyone else with a 7spd R notice the same thing? Haven't yet gotten a chance to drive another car to compare.

prelude48

My 18 R has a random harsh shift from 1-2, like you said feels like someone is engaging the clutch to aggressively. I have done a DSG reset with OBD11 and it fixed the problem for a little while but it has come back. Its currently at the dealer, drove it with the tech and only experienced the issue twice but he knows what i mean. He is going to look into it and see what he can find, he also said he will put it in learn mode and give it back to me and i can monitor it and report back. He also said if it continues to be a problem he will open a VW service ticket and see what he can do from the higher up guys in VW. I can keep you updated when i get my car back if you would like.

Side note: find a new dealer, if they won't even look at it with just an intake i feel there is an issue. Refusing work due to 1 minor mod is stupid, and sounds like an easy way to walk away from a car because someone doesn't care and they have lots of work. I go to a new VW dealer and their not that busy yet, the tech took me for a walk threw the shop, told me i can contact him with any problems or questions, told me he's there for me as a VW owner and wants me to be happy and assure me my car is well looked after. He is also the only tech i want working on my car and so far the only tech that has. Also as a journeyman tech, when work is flowing in the doors its easy to shoe people away because there not money makers and when work is slow you will take what you can get, thats the life of a tech..sad but true.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
My 18 R has a random harsh shift from 1-2, like you said feels like someone is engaging the clutch to aggressively. I have done a DSG reset with OBD11 and it fixed the problem for a little while but it has come back. Its currently at the dealer, drove it with the tech and only experienced the issue twice but he knows what i mean. He is going to look into it and see what he can find, he also said he will put it in learn mode and give it back to me and i can monitor it and report back. He also said if it continues to be a problem he will open a VW service ticket and see what he can do from the higher up guys in VW. I can keep you updated when i get my car back if you would like.

Side note: find a new dealer, if they won't even look at it with just an intake i feel there is an issue. Refusing work due to 1 minor mod is stupid, and sounds like an easy way to walk away from a car because someone doesn't care and they have lots of work. I go to a new VW dealer and their not that busy yet, the tech took me for a walk threw the shop, told me i can contact him with any problems or questions, told me he's there for me as a VW owner and wants me to be happy and assure me my car is well looked after. He is also the only tech i want working on my car and so far the only tech that has. Also as a journeyman tech, when work is flowing in the doors its easy to shoe people away because there not money makers and when work is slow you will take what you can get, thats the life of a tech..sad but true.

Thanks, let me know how that goes for you. And yeah, the work order said this: "return to dealer when vehicle is back to stock, aftermarket air intake could be causing rough shit at low speeds"

I was thinking wow.. How professional! Definitely seems as though they just didn't want to bother working on the car.

People come in with "my car is running rough" issues and some techs immediately just think the owner is a picky mf. Pretty sure that's what happened

prelude48

Thanks, let me know how that goes for you. And yeah, the work order said this: "return to dealer when vehicle is back to stock, aftermarket air intake could be causing rough shit at low speeds"

I was thinking wow.. How professional! Definitely seems as though they just didn't want to bother working on the car.

People come in with "my car is running rough" issues and some techs immediately just think the owner is a picky mf. Pretty sure that's what happened

Got the car back, tech did an adaptation reset to reset the clutches, so far it drives nice and smooth with no issues. This is also the same results i experienced when i did the same precedure with obdeleven. Guess all i can recommend is buy a obdeleven and and give it a try and when it gets annoying again do the reset. Tech and i both agreed the dsg is quirky. My biggest thing was i wanted it documented incase i run into another issues i have this issue documented at the dealer. Hope this helped.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Got the car back, tech did an adaptation reset to reset the clutches, so far it drives nice and smooth with no issues. This is also the same results i experienced when i did the same precedure with obdeleven. Guess all i can recommend is buy a obdeleven and and give it a try and when it gets annoying again do the reset. Tech and i both agreed the dsg is quirky. My biggest thing was i wanted it documented incase i run into another issues i have this issue documented at the dealer. Hope this helped.

Good call - halfway through reading this I was thinking I'll get my buddy with a cable to reset it, but I'd rather get the dealer to do it at least once in case there are more problems down the road.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hey everyone,

Recently got a golf R with the newer 7 speed DSG. Since picking it up I've noticed that 2nd to 3rd is especially rough; best way I can explain it is it's like a new manual driver releasing the clutch a too late.

I took the car to the dealer and they saw the intake and closed the hood and refused to look at it. Understandable, I guess, I didn't care to make a deal out of it - will go to a different dealer from now on. Before I do this - does anyone else with a 7spd R notice the same thing? Haven't yet gotten a chance to drive another car to compare.

I would run from that dealer like hell. Because an intake and a DSG are intimately connected, your rough shifts are surely because of the intake. What a bunch of idiots. Like said above, find a different dealer.

The DSG shifts may not be optimized out of the box. They were not on my 6 speed DSG for the GTI. When shifting properly in manual mode, the shifts are fine on my DSG. When I rev match, which the stock DSG does a poor job of, the shifts are nearly seamless. I assume the principle has not changed much from 6 speed to 7, and from GTI to R. A DSG tune should help.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Good call - halfway through reading this I was thinking I'll get my buddy with a cable to reset it, but I'd rather get the dealer to do it at least once in case there are more problems down the road.

May I suggest you get OBDeleven regardless. It's a great tool, and I'm sure there's plenty of stuff you can mod with it on the R (just like on the GTI) without lifting the hood. It's a good $60 dollar investment.