GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Don't You Like About the R

flogR

Ready to race!
I can’t stand the asinine door detents. Is that the correct term? Either the door stays about 12” open or nearly perpendicular to the car. The nav system is completely useless. Thank gawd Apple now allows Waze on Apple CarPlay.

The salesperson pointed out that the door will stay put (within reason) in any position between the (two) detents which are open just enough to squeeze out and fully open. I like the arrangement.

flogR

Ready to race!
Adaptive cruise control and dumb 19" wheels. The former is a tough one, the latter easily solved.

I like the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) now that I have used Individual Vehicle Settings to make it use Comfort mode. Before that it was leaving it too long to pull up behind the car the sensors had locked onto and therefore was pulling up too suddenly. It was one of the reasons I bought and although it is not perfect I am getting used to it and appreciating the fact that it may avoid me rear-ending someone. Sure, it goes a little weird if the the car the sensors had locked onto changes out of its lane, or if it senses stationary vehicles in adjacent lanes. It is explained in the book.

As a newbie I'm not sure but I think it is switchable. I'm struggling here with the book but I think you can have "simple" cruise control i.e. just set to a speed or go one step further and have Acc

Last edited:

flogR

Ready to race!
There’s a 23 page thread over on vwroc.com forum - thread title; ‘what do you dislike about your R’. Maybe vwroc forum members are harder to please or more critical than golfmk7.com forum members? :)

Thanks for the tip.. I'll check it out. I am amazed how this thread went so quiet for a couple of years and since I made my recent post it has gone viral. I always keep such threads as subscribed to keep my finger on the pulse and get ideas to worry/moan about.

flogR

Ready to race!
They just did the bare minimum in terms of differentiators between the gti and the R. Inside everything is identical to a gti w leather seats except for some piano black trim, which i personally hate,

Oh yes. I forgot the piano black. I am having mine (and the infotainment screen) clear filmed in a couple of weeks and using cling wrap over it in the meantime.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
As a newbie I'm not sure but I think it is switchable. I'm struggling here with the book but I think you can have "simple" cruise control i.e. just set to a speed or go one step further and have Acc

I'd be happy if that were the case. Sadly, if the car has ACC - that's the only cruise you've got.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Eh, agree to disagree. VW has even said the R needs to be more differentiated. I think it is going to happen next gen.

Yep, anything is possible; I'm not good at being an oracle for sure. If they do try to differentiate the R more, I just can't see them doing anything that would undercut Audi sales. No matter how much the add to the R, it's still a VW, and they can't charge as much as they can for similar gear with four rings on it.

Unless I guess they double down on the hatch part, and make this the new hatchback S3 for North America. That might work, with pricing north of $45k though I'm not sure how well it would fly.

kuon7r

Why? To impress rear-seat passengers? So that you can look over your shoulder at it as you drive? I can't think of a bigger waste of money than to put that lighting in the back.

Maybe I like wasting my money on lighting, and I'm simply answering the question of the op. Get a grip fool.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
At the very least the R should have gotten different seats. Hell the mk4 r32 has better looking seats. Recaros should have been standard. (STI and Focus RS have them).

I had a new Mk4 R32 back in the day. The Konig seats they put in that car were brutally uncomfortable to me, and they were so hideously over-bolstered that you practically had to climb into them. Sure, cool for some I suppose, but eventually were a big factor in me unloading that car. Prior to that I had a GTI 337 Edition, which had spectacular Recaros. Now THOSE were great seats. As for the current seats in the GTI & R, I'm totally fine with them, and don't care that the R seats aren't different somehow, because I don't find them lacking in any way (OK they should have memory function, but I digress).

Your list of desired "upgrades" to make the car more special than a GTI or pedestrian Golf is quite ambitious and would drive the price into the stratosphere. At the end of the day, they're all still Golfs, and tarting up a bunch of stuff to impress your friends comes at a huge price that the vast majority of customers just aren't going to pay.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Maybe I like wasting my money on lighting, and I'm simply answering the question of the op. Get a grip fool.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I had a new Mk4 R32 back in the day. The Konig seats they put in that car were brutally uncomfortable to me, and they were so hideously over-bolstered that you practically had to climb into them. Sure, cool for some I suppose, but eventually were a big factor in me unloading that car. Prior to that I had a GTI 337 Edition, which had spectacular Recaros. Now THOSE were great seats. As for the current seats in the GTI & R, I'm totally fine with them, and don't care that the R seats aren't different somehow, because I don't find them lacking in any way (OK they should have memory function, but I digress).

Your list of desired "upgrades" to make the car more special than a GTI or pedestrian Golf is quite ambitious and would drive the price into the stratosphere. At the end of the day, they're all still Golfs, and tarting up a bunch of stuff to impress your friends comes at a huge price that the vast majority of customers just aren't going to pay.

Agree to disagree. Not sure what exactly ambitious. You can get recaros and brembos on all of the competitors in the segment. The mk7 is the first gen that doesn’t have different seats that the gti in the us. The cost of cf trim is a 600 dollar upgrade in the s3 not exactly monumental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Ah, I see where you are coming from. I think it's entirely likely VW will do something cosmetic to distinguish the R from the GTI. I also doubt that whatever they do will make the cockpit all that different; in this segment, you cut corners because the underlying car ultimately is at the lower end of the corporate ladder.

Carbon fiber trim? Sure. More distinctive seats? That could happen. Brembos? Why not? I'd think that some or all of these would wind up as extra-cost options, but they are possible. I don't think anything more would be feasible, though, without outrunning the Golf's niche.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Agree to disagree. Not sure what exactly ambitious. You can get recaros and brembos on all of the competitors in the segment.

Sure, but what's the tradeoff for Recaros and Brembos? An economy car interior that makes the GTI & R look like a Benz in comparison. The Focus RS interior is an utter embarrassment. Honda not much better.

If you want that stuff in a ~$40k car, trust me, they're gonna cheap out someplace else. By "ambitious" I mean expecting it all without kiting the price. Something's gotta give, or it's quickly a $50k "performance econobox". VERY few buyers out there for that car.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Sure, but what's the tradeoff for Recaros and Brembos? An economy car interior that makes the GTI & R look like a Benz in comparison. The Focus RS interior is an utter embarrassment. Honda not much better.

If you want that stuff in a ~$40k car, trust me, they're gonna cheap out someplace else. By "ambitious" I mean expecting it all without kiting the price. Something's gotta give, or it's quickly a $50k "performance econobox". VERY few buyers out there for that car.

Except that vw offers essentially the same interior in its economy golf that sells for approximately the same cost as the economy civic/focus/Impreza and the gti which sells for around the same as the si/st/wrx. Somehow these other companies have figured out out to add these features to those economy cars without selling the top of the line cars for 50k or compromising quality further. So either the cost isn’t as great as you make it out to be or Honda ford and Subaru are all ok with lower margin on their “halo” economy cars than vw is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: