GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Camshaft pulley (centering ring?) failure

Nikolaithefly

I really have no other description for the piece than above as i cannot find an individual part number only the whole pulley assembly. I am genuinely curious what would cause this failure after a head gasket replacement? Not my golf but my spouse’s Jetta tdi with same power plant.

One weekend I was going to knock out her oil and DSG service and ended up finding an oil leak instead. I put the shields back on and took it to my local dealer to have them warranty replacing the leak. First it was a turbo return oil line, then it became the head gasket. After the head gasket was replaced I received a call that something was not right after starting the car and that the vehicle wouldn’t be ready to pick up at the time promised (already had been a month with fuck all in communication)

I told them they needed to figure it out and to call me when a diagnosis had been made. About and hour or two later, I got a call from the shop foreman explaining everything they had done and what they had found after starting disassembly; A broken cam pulley. Told him we would be up there to pick up a loaner car and he could show it to me and this is what I was presented...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
How did they discover something was wrong? Based on picture, it would still run as the key portion still would have kept the gear locked to the cam. If these engines are interference and the timing wasn't set correctly, valves mated with the pistons? Did the dealer say anything else?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I could be wrong, but I think they misassembled the timing chain, and when they tried to turn the engine with a breaker bar a piston hit the valves, stopped, and they kept turning and broke the key. I'd make them prove they didn't damage the engine.

Did you have one of their best techs, who knows you, do the work?

Nikolaithefly

I could be wrong, but I think they misassembled the timing chain, and when they tried to turn the engine with a breaker bar a piston hit the valves, stopped, and they kept turning and broke the key. I'd make them prove they didn't damage the engine.

By time it got to this point, it was being handled by their shop foreman but I am assuming the original tech didn’t lock that gear back in place after making final adjustment. Only real way to know if there is any valve damage would be to do a leak down.

It runs fine after picking it up and will keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie

TDI's use timing belts, but this is what I mentioned above so I agree.