GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speakers upgrade in Golf Mk7

valentyn1982

Hello,

I own a VW Golf MK7, year of manufacture 2017, engine 1.0 TSI 110HP. It has the Composition Color multimedia system installed and has only 4 speakers from the factory, just in the front doors.
My question is: Can I mount speakers in the back doors? Does anyone know if there are cables already there (even if there are no speakers), or should they be mounted directly from the Composition Color unit?

This is my HU:
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vw.../?detail=2dc0d8a4-f47a-447c-99ad-92f43dcfbbe1

Thanks for your answers.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
JL Audio makes a great 6.5” component with separate tweeter and crossover for front doors. Tweeter is mounted on A pillar. I have their 6.5 coaxial in the rear doors. All powered by JL 4x100w amp and Lci7 converter. Pioneer 1600w monoblock driving a 12” pioneer shallow 12” in custom enclosure in spare tire well. System is accurate, clear and distortion free.

valentyn1982

There are many good speakers to choose, but I want to know if I have already the wires in rear doors. (by default, my car has not the speakers in rear doors).

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Based on my experience, if the car does not come with a certain feature, you can expect the wiring will not be there either.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Agreed, thank he door panel off. Probably a twenty minute job if you haven’t done it before. If you aren’t comfortable doing a minor thing like that you should bring car to an installer and have them run the wires and do the hookups for you.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I hope someone knows this before I take the panel off. Nobody ever had this problem before?

All the NAR Golfs came with 8 speakers, so many people here won't have known the answer to your question. Based on a previous comment, with which I concur, I'd say that if your car did not come with rear speakers, the wiring for them will not be there, either. That will be a difficult retrofit because you'd have to pin new wiring to go through the door connectors.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If your unhappy with the performance of the front speakers, you're probably better off upgrading them. I have the 8 speaker Fender system, and frankly the rear speakers don't affect the sound that much. I barely hear them from the front seats.

Even if you manage to install rear speakers you won't have a fader control, will you? Better front speakers and a subwoofer will sound 100% better.

valentyn1982

I will have a fader control, because the multimedia unit is 4 x 20W, and once installed the other 2 speakers, the HU will recongnize them and enable the fader.

valentyn1982

I will ask to official service VW for this upgrade, right now my car is on warranty period and I don't want to lose this warranty if I will do this myself.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I believe that all car parts are on warranty. The manufacturer warranty is 4 years and my car is manufactured in 2017.

It may be different in Romania, but here in the UK the factory warranty is 3 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just because the dealer does it doesn't mean you still have the balance of the factory warranty on the sound system. I think the most you can expect is one year on the parts only. Plus, you're talking an very expensive job. Frankly, I doubt any dealer will do it even if you have the wiring, which I doubt you have. This comes under the category of fabrication. Dealers don't do custom jobs that involve cutting up your door panels and splicing wires. At least not here. I think you're far better off having an independent shop with VW Golf experience. Shouldn't be too hard to find one since there's probably a lot of people who have your model. Would be a lot cheaper too.