GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone Insert

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for some input, Jake. I really liked the polyurethane insert I had on my MKV, so I think I'm going to give the BFI stage 1 a try based off of your comments (not just here, but in other threads as well).

I’ve probably said it 1 million times, they really are the original and still the best.

Also, beating this to death too, all mounts regardless of brand take about 1,000 miles to “break in” so save final consideration of NVH till then as it’ll change

edrex

Ready to race!
Just ordered a BFI stage 1 dog bone last night, I also appreciate the input.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
Here is the response from 034

Q: I have a 2015 VW GTI DSG and have heard good things about your lower insert...makes a difference with no noticeable increase in NVH. With the upper insert combined with the lower insert, is this still the case....no noticeable increase in NVH? I am hoping for an honest assessment as I need to pay to have this installed, and if too much NVH increase, would have to pay to have it uninstalled. This is my daily driver...I am APR stage 1 tune and APR DSG tune
12/13/18
A: Correct, no added NVH with the upper insert, it's a very good combination and really the upper insert is required to prevent bending of the lower insert, you will love it and this has been one of the most popular modifications we've ever released, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
A: Correct, no added NVH with the upper insert, it's a very good combination and really the upper insert is required to prevent bending of the lower insert, you will love it and this has been one of the most popular modifications we've ever released,
I can confirm this as I had the upper mount installed last week after having had the lower mount for 6 months now. Doesn't feel any different than before.
On a side note, the upper mount looks kind of big in the pictures but is actually quite tiny.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
I can confirm this as I had the upper mount installed last week after having had the lower mount for 6 months now. Doesn't feel any different than before.
On a side note, the upper mount looks kind of big in the pictures but is actually quite tiny.

Thanks Clem! First person we have heard from that has both. Glad to hear no noticeable NVH....I am having upper and lower installed next week.

What is your perspective on what the upper and lower does for you?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I second with Gti Jake. I upgraded to the BFI Stage 2 dogbone mount and have been really enjoyed BFI

Slow4

Passed Driver's Ed
Subscribed - I want to know if the upper + lower mount combined will prevent excess wear on the stock mounts

sumakor

Regarding NVH on the 034 dogbone insert, it's hard to quantify NVH. I find it subtle overall, just takes engine vibrations from zero to slight under some conditions. For example at startup you can feel a slight shudder going through the car that was squelched by the stock mount alone. Idling cold you can (barely) feel the engine vibrations vs v not at all before. Seems more than appropriate for a 'hot hatch.' I also notice the tiny ~0.1s lag between stabbing the throttle and feeling the engine pull on its mount.
'15 GTI Manual PP.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimboski10

Ready to race!
So, getting the lower and upper dogbone insert done tomorrow. The bolt for the lower....does that need to be replaced? Or can I reuse it?

If I need to replace, anyone got the part number on this? (I think I have the right number, but when I called VW dealer, they gave me something different)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
So, getting the lower and upper dogbone insert done tomorrow. The bolt for the lower....does that need to be replaced? Or can I reuse it?

If I need to replace, anyone got the part number on this? (I think I have the right number, but when I called VW dealer, they gave me something different)

N-912-010-01

It is recommended to replace it, but I have run with mine un-replaced for 15k with no issues. Just don't torque to yield a second time for sure.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
N-912-010-01

It is recommended to replace it, but I have run with mine un-replaced for 15k with no issues. Just don't torque to yield a second time for sure.

Perfect...thank you! I think I will get a new one...if nothing more than piece of mind if this is a stretch bolt.

jimboski10

Ready to race!
Install done...more NVH than I might have expected. Mostly when slowly releasing brake from a stop. Noise increases, shudders quite a bit...goes away when you give it gas. Not sure if that is normal, until things break in (I thought I read somewhere that about 1000 miles breaks things in)

Thoughts? (I had the 034 upper and lower insert put in)

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
I've read this thread and I'm going to appeal to the community here for some help. Let me start by saying that I'm pretty in awe of the depth of technical knowledge and feedback on here.

I have a Mk7 GTI PP 6 MT with APR Stage 1. I find the car has a hard time getting the power down smoothly in 1st and even 2nd sometimes. This seems to emanate from drivetrain flex. I'm (very) modestly mechanically knowledgeable and apologize in advance.

1. Is the BFI single mount solution enough to cure the issue? Price seems expensive, too.

2. The 034 solution seems to involve two mounts. Better? Too harsh for a DD?

3. The dogbone part, is this separate from the two 034 mounts? I'm assuming this is some sort of torque arm mount...

4. Will increasing the stiffness of the mounts place undue strain on the PP Haldex diff?

Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate the collective wisdom and advice. And Happy Holidays!

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
OK, I looked much more closely at this. I went off the forum and used Google as it is intended to be used. Found a wealth of resources, including videos from the awesome folks at DAP. I settled on the BFI Stage 1 mount and the 034 dogbone insert.

Happy Holidays all!