GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

8055WAGEN'S 2017 GSW DSG 4MOTION IS38

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Some more fun parts rolling in.
Dust shields, strut bolts, and 312mm Raybestos coated rotors.

RockAuto has 312mm rotors for 1/3 the cost of anywhere else.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Thanks Man! Not everywhere has them. Ordered them over the last couple weeks.

Originally ordered rears from THMotorsports as they were listed in stock, cancelled later due to no stock. ECS Had the rears in stock.

Fronts I bought on eBay from two different sellers.

My JB4 logs aren't very organized historically, but these are the latest I had running before I ran the 12.7 . Ran the 12.7 on the first run of the day, went downhill from there.

Looking at your logs, those trims are pretty high, as is your FOL @75. Are you getting any rail pressure codes? You have multiple corrections across the cylinders spanning a large RPM range too. You may consider dialing it back some to tune those out. Maybe post the logs in the Map 6 thread and see what the guys (Diggs, Oblivous)think. Have you sent them to George?

I may attempt to piece together a B8 setup also but it’s slim pickings finding new stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Looking at your logs, those trims are pretty high, as is your FOL @75. Are you getting any rail pressure codes? You have multiple corrections across the cylinders spanning a large RPM range too. You may consider dialing it back some to tune those out. Maybe post the logs in the Map 6 thread and see what the guys (Diggs, Oblivous)think. Have you sent them to George?

I may attempt to piece together a B8 setup also but it’s slim pickings finding new stock.

Yes I got a few sporadic rail pressure codes as I was doing the tuning. I backed off of that tune after those logs, I should have made that clear. Those are just the logs I have saved that were closest to the 12.7 run.

I had one limp-mode event during my runs at the strip. Made a few corrections after, and the car was happy.

I was working with George on this tune, and we were aware of the situation. There were fairly large ambient air temp variations as we were tuning, making it difficult to dial in. The car is stored for winter now. I plan on having the car ECU/TCU tuned in the spring, and will run the JB4 on top of the tune.

I used the 'just keep ordering until you get one' method. Worked OK

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Yes I got a few sporadic rail pressure codes as I was doing the tuning. I backed off of that tune after those logs, I should have made that clear. Those are just the logs I have saved that were closest to the 12.7 run.

I had one limp-mode event during my runs at the strip. Made a few corrections after, and the car was happy.

I was working with George on this tune, and we were aware of the situation. There were fairly large ambient air temp variations as we were tuning, making it difficult to dial in. The car is stored for winter now. I plan on having the car ECU/TCU tuned in the spring, and will run the JB4 on top of the tune.

I used the 'just keep ordering until you get one' method. Worked OK

You’re on top of it. Good stuff! What flash are you considering in the spring?

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
You’re on top of it. Good stuff! What flash are you considering in the spring?

The Go-To is APR, a good friend runs an APR IS38 + JB4 on his 4motion sportwagen and has been happy with it.

I will need to do some more research, but for now need to save up the $$$$.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Received my 312mm carriers/calipers. From eBay seller 4yourdrive, under $200 shipped, great seller.

Mocked up on the car

rstaylor25

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice, they look great. I’m looking at this brake upgrade for my golf too. Found a set near me for $450 CAD including rotors and stainless lines I’m going to pick up

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
This is a fun build, in for updates [emoji41][emoji106]

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Everything is on the Wagon, but it's confined to the garage until the snow and salt are gone. I'm hoping it settles down another 3/8 inch.

Ignore the dust / wood butchering.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I've put a couple hundred miles on the Golf since taking it out of storage.

I am in love with the B8 / Eibach combo. I have not yet brought it to the alignment shop, but everything has settled down nicely, and it feels great on my commute. The new suspension gives a smooth, sporty ride, exactly what I was looking for.

I am in the process of having my DSG tuned by 034, just waiting for some hardware from them in the mail.

I had some black vinyl from another project and am trying out some simple eyelids, will see if they grow on me over the next few days.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I began to exceed the limits of the stock DSG tune, and have decided on a Unitronic Stage 2 TCU Tune. Also went with a Stage 2 IS20 ECU tune to replace the JB4 for now.

I have had both tunes for about a week. The TCU tune is a huge upgrade over the stock tune. D mode is great for everyday, S mode is much more usable than before, and I have not noticed any clutch slip. I cannot comment on how fast the ECU tune is compared to a custom JB4 map 6, but I can say it is much smoother. The power is available throughout throttle positions, as opposed to coming on all at the end with the JB4. I am working with John at Unitronic on an intermittent overboost error which seems to disappear as soon as I do logging on VCDS. Maybe it has gone away, maybe it will show up again.

Below are the best logs from about a dozen where I tried to replicate the issue.
https://datazap.me/u/8055wagen/

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I previously had a pair of cheap blue aspherical mirrors, and I could just not get used to the transition area on them. Reinstalled the OE mirrors, and found what I wanted at the parts store. So much more to see now!

I was very happy with how my Bilstein / Eibach combo was sitting now, but was underwhelmed with the cornering ability. I hadn't yet done an alignment, which I figured was the source of the problem, but I didn't think I was driving for nearly 1000 miles with this bad of an alignment. Oops!

It drives so much better now, exactly what I was looking for! Thankfully no funny wear on the tires from all those miles. Corners are great, and the ride is plenty comfortable for my commute and for fun driving. Really glad I went with this set up.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Your car looks fantastic! I am a wagon freak so it is nice to see someone else do one up. I am IS20 with ApR tune for 91 octane. Love the Motegis as well, I have had them in three different cars,mother are a great wheel, mine are black with 245 Indy 500. Keep posting!

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Your car looks fantastic! I am a wagon freak so it is nice to see someone else do one up. I am IS20 with ApR tune for 91 octane. Love the Motegis as well, I have had them in three different cars,mother are a great wheel, mine are black with 245 Indy 500. Keep posting!
Thanks! The wagon drives so well now, I'm very happy with it. IS20 is great on these, I've ridden in an is38 4 motion wagon and it's wild. Maybe someday :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk