GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Engine/Trans Mount Tips

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
So I wanted to make a thread dedicated to one of the trickiest things to get right on this platform: the darn engine and trans mounts.

Like I've mentioned before there's a lot of nuance to aligning them correctly. Hopefully this video helps. Please add any tips, tricks or secrets related to installing mk7 mounts!https://youtu.be/mb4JmQr0pgs

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
Hmmm...

So I wanted to make a thread dedicated to one of the trickiest things to get right on this platform: the darn engine and trans mounts.

Like I've mentioned before there's a lot of nuance to aligning them correctly. Hopefully this video helps. Please add any tips, tricks or secrets related to installing mk7 mounts!https://youtu.be/mb4JmQr0pgs

Good video.

I recently installed both engine and trans mounts with BFI 1 on my Mk7 GTI, and thought it was pretty easy. I'm just curious, when I did this it seemed that there wasn't really any way to misalign the mounts. Just had a use a lever and play with the jack a bit to get the holes aligned in order to get the bolts in, but once they are aligned there doesn't seem to be any way to screw this up.

Please clue me in. Just want to make sure I did everything right.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I used an engine hoist on top and a jack below. Mine was misaligned the first time and it messed up the engine mount. My mistake because I was in a hurry. Second time I redid the mounts and made sure to match the mounts to how the original mounts were, meaning I could see the markings from the original mounts and lined up the new mounts the same way. I was very particular about this and made sure the new mounts were symmetrical before torquing down with new bolts.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thanks for the thread and the video.

my engine is rocking noticeably when lifting at low speed and on downshifts. Added the BFI stage 1 dogbone insert after my CTS Turbo billet insert got bent. Current status is more NVH, but engine still rocks. 49k miles on the stock engine and trans mounts.

I'm about to change out my engine and trans mounts with oem replacements. The VW online manual gives some measurement benchmarks for oem but perhaps it may not apply to some aftermarket.

I'll post my experience in a couple weeks when I'm done.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Put in my BFI Stage 1 engine mount today and noticed the back was about 1 mm off from the front, or at least in my head. I took it around town with the engine mount in and noticed a LITTLE NVH increase, but shifts are more crisp and the engine doesnt rock around when i'm on/off the throttle, however I do feel more NVH at low speeds. Kinda like it.

When I put them in I was making sure to play with the jack a little as well as pull the engine/push the engine to make everything able to thread down completely with just my hand, so i'm hoping its just in my head. Of course put to the right torque specs after lol.