GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Starvation Threats and the VWR Catch Can / Oil Mgmt System

andrewpierce13

Good evening everyone,

I did not see this discussed already in the search options, but if I have overlooked a discussion on this, I apologize - please point me in the right direction.

The product I am referencing is this one (just for clarification):
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-MQB-EA888-2.0T-Catch-Tank-kit.html

I completed 3 track events (NASA HPDE) over the last 6 months and I am planning to run 7-10 events in 2019 (HPDE & TT). Are the threats of oil starvation under repeated heavy braking legitimate concerns? I cannot find any data on failure rates or more details about the failures themselves.

Is this a product I need, or can I put the money elsewhere into the car (oil cooler to get the oil temps down)? If it is needed, is there another option for the engine breather plate or is this the best (or only) option? I don't want to be cheap, but don't want to waste money either.

Thanks for any input!

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
The "starvation issue" is best summarized below and in the other thread, and the VWR system seems to be the best fix to remedy this surge / pooling situation.
I wouldn't refer to it as oil starvation though...

Oil floods the pcv system and oil makes it in to the combustion chamber.
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29949

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I fitted the VWR system to my car last year.

No issues on track.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
^good info up there.

Though I haven't noticed smoke during my track days, my inlet pipe is covered in oil. Doesn't burn any noticeable oil. May look into an updated VW PCV myself

andrewpierce13

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will go ahead and plan on doing the VWR kit then

Swoope

Ready to race!
Good evening everyone,

I did not see this discussed already in the search options, but if I have overlooked a discussion on this, I apologize - please point me in the right direction.

The product I am referencing is this one (just for clarification):
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/VWR-MQB-EA888-2.0T-Catch-Tank-kit.html

I completed 3 track events (NASA HPDE) over the last 6 months and I am planning to run 7-10 events in 2019 (HPDE & TT). Are the threats of oil starvation under repeated heavy braking legitimate concerns? I cannot find any data on failure rates or more details about the failures themselves.

Is this a product I need, or can I put the money elsewhere into the car (oil cooler to get the oil temps down)? If it is needed, is there another option for the engine breather plate or is this the best (or only) option? I don't want to be cheap, but don't want to waste money either.

Thanks for any input!

until you are running a full suspension and r compound tire i would not worry about it..

beers

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Unless running R comps you shouldn't ever run into this issue. If you really want to spend the $$ on a catch can get the Spulen spherical one from USP, its the only one thats proven by multiple people to completely eliminate this issue. They are also on a deep sale this weekend so pick one up now.

andrewpierce13

Thanks for the additional replies. I plan to be on R-compounds and upgraded suspension by the end of 2019 so I'll plan to do this before I make the switch to the R-comps.

Thanks for the additional input on the Spulen can crild