Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Pads: Pagids or Ferodo 2500
High temp brake fluid: Motul, Castrol SRF, Performancemance Friction
RS3 Brake Ducts
Then Seat Time
Listen to your instructor

Michelin 4S gained me 4-5seconds at VIR

You have to modulate throttle with the stock 220hp. More power will make that problem worse and eat up your tires faster.
For perspective, a 145hp spec Miata is 5-sec faster than my GTi at the same track.

Bleed your brakes prior to every HPDE
Fresh oil and filter. Oil temps get on up there on stock power.

Stock PP GTi
https://youtu.be/3G2QnKKULTU

Hey, nice vid Mini7 and smooth drivin. Wow that track has a lot of long straights. Good place to really put the pedal to the metal. I can only imagine what the built CTS-Vs, ZR1s and 911 turbos are hitting on those straights if you are reaching 126 in a stock VW. Wish that track was around here. Looks like you were having fun and thanks for posting the video, really liked it and learned a bit about the track.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Nice video, Mini7! VIR, my favorite place on earth :D

Do you by chance have your soundaktor turned on?

I haven’t turned anything off. So I’m guessing it’s still on.

VIR is an awesome track. Mix of high speed low speed corners.

Swoope

Ready to race!
I haven’t turned anything off. So I’m guessing it’s still on.

VIR is an awesome track. Mix of high speed low speed corners.

do the 17's have any speed limiter? i know my 15PP would not go above 121.

enjoyed the video.

beers

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
I was thinking it was otherwise perhaps your camera mount, Mini7... the note was somewhat subaru :p

Speed limiter, swoope? I didn't know we had one in these :confused:

Anyone else noticed that this forum is fucked up about half the time? Quoting posts doesn't work, multi quotes don't work, times out if i spend more than about 2 minutes to write a post :mad: Ah well, at least the pages don't take 30 seconds to load like at vwvortex <knock on wood>

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I was thinking it was otherwise perhaps your camera mount, Mini7... the note was somewhat subaru :p

Speed limiter, swoope? I didn't know we had one in these :confused:

Anyone else noticed that this forum is fucked up about half the time? Quoting posts doesn't work, multi quotes don't work, times out if i spend more than about 2 minutes to write a post :mad: Ah well, at least the pages don't take 30 seconds to load like at vwvortex <knock on wood>

Might need to clear your cookies or something I post a LOT here with no issues.

To the OP they’ve covered it already, use stock power until you learn to use it all or most of if. Brakes, fluid, tires and instruction/track time will easily use up a lot of bolt on mod money. Once your driver mod is complete an intercooler upgrade helps tremendously even on a stock car keeping things consistent and is definitely a requirement for any power level beyond stock

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
You guys are right, the engine note does sound similar to a Subaru. Lol

My GTi is my backup track car. So I’m resisting modding for right now.

But if I was to make a few. (I already have PS4’s)
My next course of action would be to dial out some of the nannie interventions
Add SuperPro front control arms/Tyrolsport deadest kit
Vorschlag Camber Plates and dial -2.5 degrees of front camber

I need more front end grip, especially for the uphill esses at VIR (sector 3).

When folks at the track ask about my GTi, I enjoy the look of disbelief when I say that the car is bone stock. Lol
I want to keep that going for as long as I can.

Swoope

Ready to race!
You guys are right, the engine note does sound similar to a Subaru. Lol

My GTi is my backup track car. So I’m resisting modding for right now.

But if I was to make a few. (I already have PS4’s)
My next course of action would be to dial out some of the nannie interventions
Add SuperPro front control arms/Tyrolsport deadest kit
Vorschlag Camber Plates and dial -2.5 degrees of front camber

I need more front end grip, especially for the uphill esses at VIR (sector 3).

When folks at the track ask about my GTi, I enjoy the look of disbelief when I say that the car is bone stock. Lol
I want to keep that going for as long as I can.

funny,

i am fighting the same thing. i have a rsb and intercooler, and porterfield 4r front pads from my 15 PP. but dont really want do anything else until i decide the fate of the rx8.

seems my rx8 might be needing a new motor. :(

still would like to know if the 17's Gti's have speed limiter on them, the 15's did. also what mini is your track car? my track friend is running a GP, best stock track car ever. we put vorschlags on it, that is all you really need.

beers

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Mini GPs are quick out the box for sure.

I have an 06 Cooper S. It is super fun to drive. It hangs with most cars through the corners. Still working on compressing my brake zones. A new stock motor is in the process of going in. Along with race seats and a harness bar. I’m not likely to sell the Coop. It’s to much fun.

I’m faster in the GTi, but it will be interesting when I go back with the Coop as I’ve learnt some new things as a driver. Anyway it’s all about having fun and learning as a driver.

https://youtu.be/zZXEbqYCxT4

switzerr

Passed Driver's Ed
Your plan is my nightmare as an HPDE Instructor. I really don't like working with new participants in highly modified cars. Especially when none of those modifications involve brakes . . .

Take care of the car by making sure it is track worthy (fluids, pads , tires, and suspension components) and spend your mod money on seat time.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Your plan is my nightmare as an HPDE Instructor. I really don't like working with new participants in highly modified cars. Especially when none of those modifications involve brakes . . .

Take care of the car by making sure it is track worthy (fluids, pads , tires, and suspension components) and spend your mod money on seat time.

you might want to expand on this. not sure who it is aimed at. if it is me. i have been running hpde for about 12 years.

i agree the worse way to learn is on a modified car, the stocker the better. i was you worse nightmare for a student! lol

honestly i have driven two different gtis on track. one bone stock including pads. and it did just fine. this is at the advanced level point bys anywhere.

yes i did have to drive the car to the stock standard, but it does better than most stock cars ever could do.

last weekend. ran my 17 gti sport.

stock except for
porterfield s4 front pads
st rear sway bar
fordge intercooler
200 tw tires

the sway and intercooler could have been skipped, but i owned them from last car. you would be shocked at the cars i got a point by from.

if i can figure out how to get harrys lap timer video to this site, well. :)

beers

switzerr

Passed Driver's Ed
you might want to expand on this. not sure who it is aimed at. if it is me. i have been running hpde for about 12 years.

i agree the worse way to learn is on a modified car, the stocker the better. i was you worse nightmare for a student! lol

honestly i have driven two different gtis on track. one bone stock including pads. and it did just fine. this is at the advanced level point bys anywhere.

yes i did have to drive the car to the stock standard, but it does better than most stock cars ever could do.

last weekend. ran my 17 gti sport.

stock except for
porterfield s4 front pads
st rear sway bar
fordge intercooler
200 tw tires

the sway and intercooler could have been skipped, but i owned them from last car. you would be shocked at the cars i got a point by from.

if i can figure out how to get harrys lap timer video to this site, well. :)

beers

It was meant for the OP, who planned lots of performance mods but none that any track junkie would rank as essential starting points.

Track worthy pads are a sure fire way to go faster in an otherwise stock car. Nothing beats the confidence one gets knowing they can slow down lap after lap.

Mrc5z

Ready to race!
It was meant for the OP, who planned lots of performance mods but none that any track junkie would rank as essential starting points.

Track worthy pads are a sure fire way to go faster in an otherwise stock car. Nothing beats the confidence one gets knowing they can slow down lap after lap.

Stock pads on these cars aren't worth diddly squat, so definitely plan to have a spare of track pads and rotors, even if its just one day. May as well swap out the brake fluid too, its already a couple years old. Upgrading the tires wont hurt him either, even if they are a performance all season.

Doesn't look like the OP or the car will be hitting the track heavy, so those performance mods he mentioned in his first post are geared to toward street fun. The engine mounts and dogbone insert wont hinder him on the track either. Id say an intercooler should be his first "performance" mod though.

That being said, I took my mk7 golf to 2 different local tracks and wasn't really that impressed with it, the brakes being the main factor. This also coming from learning HPDE in a Miata so go figure. Wish I had the opportunity to take my C5Z to the road courses.

Either way, have fun! That's the most important part.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
PCA events require fluid replacement every six months.