GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Screws in Tires - Track Day Tomorrow!

DAS_STIG

Banned
I pulled two drywall screws out of my tires today - one each passenger front/rear. The tires do not appear to be leaking. Unfortunately, I have a track day tomorrow and can't find anything definitive via Google on what to do. Some people say tracking as-is is fine, some say to puncture it all the way through and plug it, some say the previous idea is stupid as you are further damaging the steal belts and should just leave it as-is...

Thoughts? I was thinking to swap the front passenger side tire with driver's side rear just to be safe.

Some extra info - the screws were about 7/16" each. One had the bottom of the head of the screw flush with the tread and one had about 1/8" of space between tread/head. I have decent amount of tread left, but don't have my depth gauge to give specific number.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Go to the track, bring a plug kit and pump with you just in case. Monitor your tires.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
In my experience, plugging tires is not allowed and will fail tech inspection. You must dismount the tire and patch. If you can’t do this, then you are putting yourself and others at risk.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I pulled two drywall screws out of my tires today - one each passenger front/rear. The tires do not appear to be leaking. Unfortunately, I have a track day tomorrow and can't find anything definitive via Google on what to do. Some people say tracking as-is is fine, some say to puncture it all the way through and plug it, some say the previous idea is stupid as you are further damaging the steal belts and should just leave it as-is...

Thoughts? I was thinking to swap the front passenger side tire with driver's side rear just to be safe.

Some extra info - the screws were about 7/16" each. One had the bottom of the head of the screw flush with the tread and one had about 1/8" of space between tread/head. I have decent amount of tread left, but don't have my depth gauge to give specific number.

My opinion - plug the holes with a proper mushroom plug. Just because the tires hold in air at this point you have to assume they are obviously partially punctured and that once you hit the track there is a very good chance you will open up those holes with the heat and extreme distortion of tracking. Err on the side of safety for yourself and others you will be driving with.

This is the kind of plug I would use. These work very well.
NAPA Balkamp Vulcanizing Plug Kit # 710-1028

DAS_STIG

Banned
Err on the side of safety for yourself and others you will be driving with.

This is the kind of plug I would use. These work very well.
NAPA Balkamp Vulcanizing Plug Kit # 710-1028

That's what I am trying to do, but I am finding conflicting information on exactly what is the safest (besides simply replacing the tires).

Jeebus.. for the price of that kit I might as well replace the tires (Indy Firehawk 500 @ $110/ea)

AR11

Ready to race!
If the screws were in the tread and not the sidewall, and the tires don't seem to be leaking I would be comfortable running them. If the tires are leaking I probably wouldn't run them on the track. Tire failure is unlikely but an unexpected low pressure incident would be very unfortunate on track.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
My recommendation is probably useless, as you're probably at the track already ;)

For future reference: if you absolutely must drive in anger on a questionable tire, move it to the rear... less stress, and lower risk of losing steering control if failure should occur.

If it were me, i'd just slap on a different set... i've got 3 track sets, in addition to my street shoes.