GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has had their warranty claimed denied because of their tune / TD1 Code?

adam1991

Banned
Who says they aren't sorted out?

Mechanical things break. It happens. It doesn't mean the entire run of them has "issues".

blergrd

Ready to race!
So now I feel it's time to add my story... somewhere in Mexico...

2017 under 10K miles had the car under 5 months... had AP w/ MA performance stage 1 on the car. Turbo absolutely blew after 2k miles with AP. Flashed back to stock, and unmarried the AP. Goes to dealer, confirmed turbo is gone and engine is also gone. Dealer doesnt find tune. Dealer sends diagnostics over to VWofM and they dont find tune. 2 weeks later turbo/engine is replaced under warranty... I complained, and I got a top trim 18` GTI. So my two cents, Cobb does something different or I just got lucky...
Can you further explain what you said for them to agree to upgrade you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edge-man

Can you further explain what you said for them to agree to upgrade you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's standard procedure for them... So many people who have bought 17's that went through this all got upgraded to brand new 18's I think timing is definitely a factor. It didn't help VW that they changed the model lineup for 18' so people who bought 17's get upgraded trims to make sure the options are comparable.

It also helps that when we experienced failure at such low miles and early ownership it falls under a different category in terms of the Lemon Law... VW does not want to go to court, it's better for them to just replace it and keep the customer happy.

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
Personally, I’m most interested in how these 3rd party warranties will handle powertrain claims.

If Fidelity doesn’t know what a td1 is then I’m ditching the JB4 and going to Cobb.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Personally, I’m most interested in how these 3rd party warranties will handle powertrain claims.

If Fidelity doesn’t know what a td1 is then I’m ditching the JB4 and going to Cobb.

If I recall correctly (brain is getting old though) the 3rd party warranty wouldn’t cover anything till the expiration (miles or time) of the primary manufacture warranty for that particular coverage area.

For example your AC compressor fails today at 45k miles, that’s outside the factory 36k miles, so the 3rd party would step in. But if your tranny takes a shit today at 45k miles it’s still under the factory 60k warranty so it would default to the factory not 3rd party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
If I recall correctly (brain is getting old though) the 3rd party warranty wouldn’t cover anything till the expiration (miles or time) of the primary manufacture warranty for that particular coverage area.

For example your AC compressor fails today at 45k miles, that’s outside the factory 36k miles, so the 3rd party would step in. But if your tranny takes a shit today at 45k miles it’s still under the factory 60k warranty so it would default to the factory not 3rd party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I’m with you, I mean when the factory powertrain warranty is up, do ECU tunes matter? Very little evidence here.

emanon

Ready to race!
When it's the same type of failure that has plagued these cars since the mk7 introduction, another failure means exactly that.

Sure makes it seem like something in the IS20 is playing russian roulette with your motor at anything much over stock power.

More and more it seems that even stage 2 cars would be better off with a detuned IS38 setup.

Will be interesting to see if the hybrid turbos solve the shaft breaking issue.
Who says they aren't sorted out?

Mechanical things break. It happens. It doesn't mean the entire run of them has "issues".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Juggar

Ready to race!
When it's the same type of failure that has plagued these cars since the mk7 introduction, another failure means exactly that.

Sure makes it seem like something in the IS20 is playing russian roulette with your motor at anything much over stock power.

More and more it seems that even stage 2 cars would be better off with a detuned IS38 setup.

Will be interesting to see if the hybrid turbos solve the shaft breaking issue.

You only hear about the ones that did go boom. Not the other 100 people that had no issue for that 1 person that did.

The MK7 turbos past 2015 very are reliable, but of course there can be defects that only rear their head after a tune.

MichaelAndrews

Passed Driver's Ed

Fidelity wouldn't know almost 100% of the time. 90% of claims are done over the phone and they take our word for it. Only expensive items like turbo or engine issue's would trigger an inspection of from Fidelity where they would send somebody out who has more expertise to "verify our findings"

If your car is obviously modded out to the tits, you're boned if they send an inspector. If you switch things to stock more than likely you'll be fine.

Edge-man

You only hear about the ones that did go boom. Not the other 100 people that had no issue for that 1 person that did.

The MK7 turbos past 2015 very are reliable, but of course there can be defects that only rear their head after a tune.

To be honest... compared to WRXs/STIs it’s no comparisons the issues with turbos... even look at the IS38s almost nearly the same rate of failures...we all know about “Ringland” on the EJ motor but that’s a different story. Id rather have a motor blow before the turbo if it’s a conservative tune...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
To be honest... compared to WRXs/STIs it’s no comparisons the issues with turbos... even look at the IS38s almost nearly the same rate of failures...we all know about “Ringland” on the EJ motor but that’s a different story. Id rather have a motor blow before the turbo if it’s a conservative tune...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would rather have an engine blow than a turbo.....? That makes all your other posts make sense now.... LOL. Parts break, get used to it.

emanon

Ready to race!

Im tye grand scheme of gti/r owners, the (very small )percentage that are on forums, and how prevalent this problem has been, it's absolutely stastically significant when you see reported failures in such a small sample.

I agree random parts fail, but by all accounts this is the same failure in the same part.

And i would further agree the motor should be failing long before the turbo. Turbo goes and smokes the motor along with it, you never want upstream parts to scrap big money assemblies.

In the grand scheme of turbocharged vehicles these types of failures are very uncommon. It's clearly a case where the turbo shaft is of poor quality and/or a flawed design. Turbo seals and bearings wear, but to keep destroying shafts and sending junk through the motor is highly unusual.

Ive had lots of vehicles with turbos, some (like my diesel truck) run comparatively insane pressures for extended run times and they run hundreds of thousands of miles without a hint of a problem.

It's a great little car but there is a major weakness in the turbo. To deny that is either ignorance or brand blindness.

Edge-man

Im tye grand scheme of gti/r owners, the (very small )percentage that are on forums, and how prevalent this problem has been, it's absolutely stastically significant when you see reported failures in such a small sample.

I agree random parts fail, but by all accounts this is the same failure in the same part.

And i would further agree the motor should be failing long before the turbo. Turbo goes and smokes the motor along with it, you never want upstream parts to scrap big money assemblies.

In the grand scheme of turbocharged vehicles these types of failures are very uncommon. It's clearly a case where the turbo shaft is of poor quality and/or a flawed design. Turbo seals and bearings wear, but to keep destroying shafts and sending junk through the motor is highly unusual.

Ive had lots of vehicles with turbos, some (like my diesel truck) run comparatively insane pressures for extended run times and they run hundreds of thousands of miles without a hint of a problem.

It's a great little car but there is a major weakness in the turbo. To deny that is either ignorance or brand blindness.

Took the words right out of my mouth! that's exactly my point.

Juggar

Ready to race!

How can you say that when there have been very few turbo failures? it happens in every car/truck no matter the brand. And remember, we are talking tuned engines only, stock these are nearly bulletproof. You cant sit there and complain when a tuned engines turbo goes.... it wasn't built for that.

If this were a serious issue, you'd be seeing a LOT more post about turbo failure (when tuned) than you do now.

I asked my APR dealer if they had ever had a GTI in for a blown turbo as a result of the APR tune and he said never. I definitely wouldn't go with some hole in the wall place type of tune on these cars. Only businesses like APR that have LOTS of experience with these engines.

Edge-man

How can you say that when there have been very few turbo failures? it happens in every car/truck no matter the brand. And remember, we are talking tuned engines only, stock these are nearly bulletproof. You cant sit there and complain when a tuned engines turbo goes.... it wasn't built for that.

If this were a serious issue, you'd be seeing a LOT more post about turbo failure (when tuned) than you do now.

I asked my APR dealer if they had ever had a GTI in for a blown turbo as a result of the APR tune and he said never. I definitely wouldn't go with some hole in the wall place type of tune on these cars. Only businesses like APR that have LOTS of experience with these engines.

I'd say it's pretty much 50/50... in regards to tuned or not. The people who have gone APR and blown their turbos have had their warranty work denied. There's enough complaints which is why this thread exists. I've had several cars.. my last 4-5 being turbo and not one of them has ever had an issue. Could be my luck.. but the fact we have some people with blown turbos/motors regardless of what tune it is or isn't the numbers are pretty high...