GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MPSS 235s on 18x8/45 stock?

seavw

Ok, this is new territory for me and I've looked through a bunch of postings but haven't found a clear answer. But apologies if this has already been covered.

Have a set of ultraleggera 18x8 45 (tirerack purchase, excellent experience) that I want to put summer tires on.

1) Can I put MPSS 235s on the ultraleggera's and not get rubbing (instead of 225s). Car it a stock 2017 Autobahn, and I have no plans to lower it. I don't wish to use spacers.

2) If the 235's are ok -- no rubbing expected -- What's the exact size of tire I should ask for?

3) And anyway... what are the pros/cons of going 235s instead of 225s? I like the look of the wider tire, but an uncertain whether the cornering & NVH are going to be better or worse using 235 vs 225.

Thank you!

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Ok, this is new territory for me and I've looked through a bunch of postings but haven't found a clear answer. But apologies if this has already been covered.

Have a set of ultraleggera 18x8 45 (tirerack purchase, excellent experience) that I want to put summer tires on.

1) Can I put MPSS 235s on the ultraleggera's and not get rubbing (instead of 225s). Car it a stock 2017 Autobahn, and I have no plans to lower it. I don't wish to use spacers.

2) If the 235's are ok -- no rubbing expected -- What's the exact size of tire I should ask for?

3) And anyway... what are the pros/cons of going 235s instead of 225s? I like the look of the wider tire, but an uncertain whether the cornering & NVH are going to be better or worse using 235 vs 225.

Thank you!

According to forum members that went 235/40 there are no rubbing issues with +45 offset. As for the cons, there will be a slight increase in NVH (borderline perceivable) as there is more rubber contacting the tarmac, a slight increase in fuel consumption for the same reason as well as your speedometer will be a little off (although it will be just a tiny bit). Just be careful with law enforcement cameras as you speedometer will (more or less) state the actual speed. These are all small cons, but the real problems is the increase in tyre prices in the 235 segment and more importantly: they will be more prone to aquaplaning. That's the only reason that's keeping me off and I stick strictly to VW's specs in that area. If you live in an place that has lots of rain or the roads get really "greasy" when it rains slightly, get the 225s. I hope I've helped.

I don't think there's any perceiveable difference in noise, grip or fuel consumption.
It's true 235/40 R18 PSS will fit close but nicely. Since the tires will be very flush
you probably want to lower your car.
It's also true your speedo will be more accurate than before. Actually the speedo
is little off stock. With the 235s when it indicates 55 mph, you are rather precisely
55 mph.
One big pro (at least to me) is the 235 PSS protect your precious wheels better
than most 225s. Remember stock wheels are just 7.5" wide, running 225s, and the
standard 17" Golf wheels are even just 7.0", also running 225s. The main reason is
rim protection.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
That should be a fine setup, OP.

I have MPSS 235/40 on 18x8.5 wheel with ET45 on stock suspension and the only reason I didn't go 245 is because I thought the steering would have been a lot heavier at lower speeds and I didn't want wifey complaining about it. Having had the 235/40s for little over 7K miles, I wish I had gone with 245/40 instead.