GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

1.8wolfie

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah. That seems to be a fair assessment. :) Back in the day I didn't worry about warranty as much. Now that I'm older (Today is my 38th Birthday :) ), priorities and concerns are shifted. Want to have that little extra, but don't care about racing or max power, just daily drivability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me and you are on the same page. I think a majority of people choose the 1.8l golf compared to the GTI feel the same way. I used have a bunch of performance cars when i was younger (pontiac firebirds, mustang, G8, bmw 335i). It was totally unused potential as I barely even drove fast.

After my last car, 2013 mercedes c250, I realized I was fine without tons of power. So when I was looking at the golf and gti, I saw the GTI as stuff I just don't need or will use. Yea it does kind of bother me that I don't have those extras, but I just bring myself back to reality that i have a 10 minutes commute to work every day, and all the roads I use barely have speed limits over 45mph. It's always fun to tinker with a car though. And the price of the golf leaves me more room to play.

The jb4 was a perfect solution for power in the golf. It really feels like how it should have came from the factory.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Anyone know how to post a graph from the JB4 app? I can view the graph, but I can only export it as a CSV file for excel.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Anyone know how to post a graph from the JB4 app? I can view the graph, but I can only export it as a CSV file for excel.

Not sure with the app as I use the PC software. If you download the PC version and open the Excel file with it you will be able to export the graph.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Ok. I was using my Mac at first. Maybe I'll try opening the CSV file on there with the JB4 software

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Sent my log to George. Said everything looked good. Small timing corrections. Tweaked the boost in a couple of spots and going to try another log. See what happens. Motor definitely likes to peak around 4500 and then taper on the stock downpipe. Anything above that and I got about 2 to 2-1/2 degrees of timing correction on a couple of cylinders. It was also the first pull I did when the oil temp got up. Had a little hiccup. I think once warmed up a bit more it may be a little more steady. It's just hard to find the room around by me to do a full third gear pull. I'll have to take a drive out to the country. Lol

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
What would be good starting numbers for boost and fuel bias in map 6, Along with boost safety if i just decided to use map 1/2

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
What would be good starting numbers for boost and fuel bias in map 6, Along with boost safety if i just decided to use map 1/2

Map 1 and 2 are preset. You only need the boost safety in map 6. If you start playing with map 6, log a map 1 or 2 and go from there. Fuel stays at 60 and your boost safety should be set a couple of psi above your max. If you are using additive, it still needs to be your max boost. Say if the ecu shows 10, your adding 5, set the boost safety to 17

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
Map 1 and 2 are preset. You only need the boost safety in map 6. If you start playing with map 6, log a map 1 or 2 and go from there. Fuel stays at 60 and your boost safety should be set a couple of psi above your max. If you are using additive, it still needs to be your max boost. Say if the ecu shows 10, your adding 5, set the boost safety to 17

Thanks I just wasn't sure if my unit had shipped with the correct settings for a 1.8t since its in beta as map 6 along with my boost safety was going up to 20+ psi

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Thanks I just wasn't sure if my unit had shipped with the correct settings for a 1.8t since its in beta as map 6 along with my boost safety was going up to 20+ psi

Yeah. The stock map 6 is set up for the gti. I'm not getting anything more than around 14.5 out of it with the cold temperatures here. I started with 10 at 1500 and then went up to 15.5 at 4000-5000. I tapered doe to around 13. I got a little timing correction and it wasn't going that high. I then looked at the log to see what the ecu boost was. It was adding as much as 7 psi in some spots. I cut back about .5-1 psi and tried it as an additive. Even though I had it to add 6 psi, it was only giving me 3-4. No corrections at all. I'm going to go back to target and turn it down to 14.5-15 max and taper down to 12. I'll see how that does. It definitely feels stronger than the JB1 ever did.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just looking at possible next mod to add to the JB4. It seems like a downpipe would be the logical choice, but why not just an IS20 on the stock downpipe? I know it will be limited still, but technically we have the same flow converters as a gti with just a 1/4" smaller pipe. The gti does quite well with the JB4 as a stage 1. Couldn't we see stronger gains with a turbo upgrade over the downpipe? You can pick them up for roughly the same price. I'd also like to keep my car as stock looking and sounding as possible.

1.8wolfie

Passed Driver's Ed
Just looking at possible next mod to add to the JB4. It seems like a downpipe would be the logical choice, but why not just an IS20 on the stock downpipe? I know it will be limited still, but technically we have the same flow converters as a gti with just a 1/4" smaller pipe. The gti does quite well with the JB4 as a stage 1. Couldn't we see stronger gains with a turbo upgrade over the downpipe? You can pick them up for roughly the same price. I'd also like to keep my car as stock looking and sounding as possible.

I would think if your not using the car for racing, I wouldn't mess with the turbo and core engine parts. I'm even kind of wary of doing the downpipe and going to stage 2 without upgrading the intercooler. You have to remember our cars have practically every part lesser then the gti. So pulling more power on the lower grade parts is gonna hurt.

Edit: As I think you saw in my other post about the difference between the cars, I was trying to see how close we are to the gti, for modding down the road. But the responses I got pretty much showed that we are just so far behind to justify certain things I think.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I would think if your not using the car for racing, I wouldn't mess with the turbo and core engine parts. I'm even kind of wary of doing the downpipe and going to stage 2 without upgrading the intercooler. You have to remember our cars have practically every part lesser then the gti. So pulling more power on the lower grade parts is gonna hurt.

Edit: As I think you saw in my other post about the difference between the cars, I was trying to see how close we are to the gti, for modding down the road. But the responses I got pretty much showed that we are just so far behind to justify certain things I think.

I wouldn't say we are that far behind for moderate power levels. The IS20 is an easy upgrade and nets some nice power gains. Before the JB4 there was only one option to do it. It was with unitronic and required a downpipe. Yes the 1.8 is not going to see 400whp like the gti, but 250+ is achievable without having to use it for racing. The IS12 was used on the golf for 2 reasons over the IS20. 1 was for fuel economy and every day usability as an economy car. 2 was not to step on the toes of the gti. They like to keep a little distance between levels. The IS20 is a direct bolt on and is supported by the JB4. That's why it's an easy go to for more power without going nuts. Especially with the ease of doing so now. That's why I now question the need for a downpipe as the next step. You can even add a stock gti downpipe to it if diameter is a concern.

Last edited:

1.8wolfie

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't say we are that far behind for moderate power levels. The IS20 is an easy upgrade and nets some nice power gains. Before the JB4 there was only one option to do it. It was with unitronic and required a downpipe. Yes the 1.8 is not going to see 400whp like the gti, but 250+ is achievable without having to use it for racing. The IS12 was used on the golf for 2 reasons over the IS20. 1 was for fuel economy and every day usability as an economy car. 2 was not to step on the toes of the gti. They like to keep a little distance between levels. The IS20 is a direct bolt on and is supported by the JB4. That's why it's an easy go to for more power without going nuts. Especially with the ease of doing so now. That's why I now question the need for a downpipe as the next step. You can even add a stock gti downpipe to it if diameter is a concern.

Yea that's all true. But I'm just saying your going for base GTI power with all lower parts (intercooler,downpipe, transmission, drivetrain, exhaust). What's stopping you from working towards selling your golf and getting a gti?

That's kind of where I left it at. When I started to add it all up, It seems more economical to get the gti.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

GTI and TSI downpipe are the same.