GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone tried H&R OE Springs with Stock Shocks?

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought my 2018 GTI and would like a small drop. I've seen some members through searches running the HR OE springs with B8's but haven't seen any reviews with stock struts. I figure since my car only has 200 miles on it my struts would last a while with the mild drop.

Also, are the mount/bearings/bolts necessary on such a new car?

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
I can't speak from experience on that particular setup, but I think you should be more than fine. The OE Sport springs are around 10% stiffer than OEM, so you will feel a slight increase in stiffness, but the at that ride height the OEM shock is adequate. Of course, a shock upgrade would be ideal at the same time considering the GTI shocks aren't anything to write home about, but for a quick subtle drop they will do the job for now.

Mounts are overkill IMO. Strut bearings, and any stretch or one-time-use bolts should be replaced.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the input. I agree on the shocks being basically brand new but have also been reading the whole progressive vs. linear debate. Being that the springs are progressive, others have said they don't play well with the GTI struts which makes me a little hesitant.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I bought my set from a guy who had them with DCC. He hated it. I have them with koni yellows and I like them.

The front drop is .75” but the rear is a solid 1.25”. It makes for better handling but I would take that into consideration for usage with stock dampers. I personally wouldn’t do it, but I am also in the “don’t use stock dampers with lowering springs” camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk