GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 GTI SE, First Time VW Owner Intro

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
So it came down to a Subaru WRX and GTI. After a test drive of the GTI, it was instant love at first sight. Love the handling, a little better gas mileage, and cost-to-own in the long run. Than it was up to deciding on an S model or SE. I almost pulled the trigger on the S model but at $5000 more I did not really have, it was a no brainer to go with the SE with the lighting package, and fork up the money, if I could get night blue metallic or white. I shopped all over the Mass / CT / NY region and one dealer in Mass had the night blue metallic on site. Whites were able to be located if really wanted white. With a deal in place that only 3 dealers would match, I got this car with no questions, no hesitation, the dealer shook my hand and said done deal. I was floored. I just got the tints done. Next up is the rear sway bar. Anyone from new england / CT and have good recommendation on who can install the sway bar? Getting an 034 Motorsport 25mm swaybar.

Attachments

• 0811181645_3.jpg
    0811181645_3.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 762

VdubbinCT

Ready to race!
That was the one thing that was killing me but I had to look at other things. Like very bad gas mileage and required premium gas opposed to a little better gas mileage and regular gas. For me the power in either car is fine for me, not a race car driver here but was looking for a little thrill upgrade from my honda. Never had all wheel drive and have always done well and better than most other people with other cars when I had Toyo tires. The tires that come on this car give me a little concern, Potenza's.

JD-1

Ready to race!
Check out excelerate performance in Branford. I've gone for my apr plus tune and after a alignment. Very professional and performance oriented place. Everytime I go they have a few mk6, mk7 and r32s around.

I also know they'll charge 1.5 hours labor for the sway bar, if you email they'll give you a electronic quote.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Congrats, welcome.

I'd suggest getting some serious experience with the car's setup before swapping sway bars. I'm sure VW engineers put a lot of resources into giving the GTI an excellent balance of handling performance, safety and comfort. This is especially true with the factory LSD (which I believe is standard for 2018 SE?). If/when you change bars, may want to be tweaking ESC and such in tandem, using VCDS.

Willrivz

Congrats man! You made the right choice! I was torn between blue and green myself.
I have a 7.5 SE as well. My initial mods were an ECS Clutch Stop and IE intake. The clutch stop really allows for consistent shifting due to no dead space following engagement. The IE intake adds some great sound for someone in the cockpit and makes the DD better since the Stock GTI is a little muted. Another mod I would recommend is the D-Dock. Basically allows u to slide your smart phone into the cubby and connect. One of my favorite mods to date.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
yeah just lower it and spacers for aesthetics, throw in a jb4 so you can revert should the need arise and keep your 6yr bumper to bumper intact and call it good.

If you start going crazy getting an IC, and IS38, that's going to be a lot of work to revert back too, should an expensive repair crop up that would otherwise be covered under the bumper to bumper. Just my 2cents.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Welcome from another CT guy...I also drove the WRX. Fast, but it felt large. 4wd wasn't needed as I have a truck too.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Congrats!

Curious, why a sway bar as the very first mod when you've hardly even driven the car?

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Congrats and welcome!

I would drive stock for a while, to see what you really need/want.

I would upgrade that potato of a camera first ;)