GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #52
GTI-Jay

Drives: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogokin View Post
I just drive...and get gas when needed. I don't think I've tried to maximize my MPG on any car I've owned. I think it would totally ruin driving for me.
Me neither. Mind you i rented a crappy dodge charger once, and it was so thirsty after beating the piss out of it, i was happy to hand it back.

I said to myself if i owned one of these, i'd be more conscientious on putting my foot down..

For my gti, just drive and smile !
GTI-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #53
heiney9

Drives: 2017 - GTi Sport -DSG & 2009 GTi -TSI DSG
Quote:
I just drive...and get gas when needed. I don't think I've tried to maximize my MPG on any car I've owned. I think it would totally ruin driving for me.
Good way to be. I'm trying to be more like that....lol.

I just get really annoyed with all the posts about how some people are getting between 30 and 40 mpg driving in the city. It's not possible if you do the math correctly. A screen shot of the computer readout means nothing, really.

I guess I should become less annoyed. But it's one of the issues that irks me. The EPA rating is there and if you are consistently beating it by a wide margin then you are not computing it correctly and/or driving enough of a distance to get a true calculation.

To be really true, one should average over a month of driving, that would be way more accurate than a morning run to work.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #54
The Tax Guy

Drives: 18 GTI SE; 14 Ducati 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by heiney9 View Post
Good way to be. I'm trying to be more like that....lol.

I just get really annoyed with all the posts about how some people are getting between 30 and 40 mpg driving in the city. It's not possible if you do the math correctly. A screen shot of the computer readout means nothing, really.

I guess I should become less annoyed. But it's one of the issues that irks me. The EPA rating is there and if you are consistently beating it by a wide margin then you are not computing it correctly and/or driving enough of a distance to get a true calculation.

To be really true, one should average over a month of driving, that would be way more accurate than a morning run to work.
Get where you are coming from, I feel the same way. Cannot see how anyone gets 30 mpg city or 40 mpg highway sustained . My car is still "breaking in" and should improve MPG wise, but so far I am averaging about 22-24 mpg with about 90% city driving.

The one tank where I had some actual highway driving for about an hour, my computer never showed more than 34 mpg. I don't trust the computer and I calculate by hand. On that tank with about 65% highway was only 27 mpg.
The Tax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #55
robmarktoo

Drives: MK7 GTI, MK2 GLI 16v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogues Gambit View Post
Yeah, color me skeptical about this hybrid/electric push

Electric is 100yo technology that failed before and won't happen again as the fake news proclaims and as Tsi7 said, considering the big sellers, I'm not worried, plus we got more oil here than the middle East does

If anything, Diesel will be given another shot
LoL @ Electric is 100yo technology, as if it is somehow primitive compared to ICE (which even older tech)
robmarktoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #56
ies99

Drives: 2017 GTI, 2006 Chrysler 300C HEMI 5.7
Mine too

Quote:
I'm the same way. But then I don't drive enough (6000 miles a year).
ies99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM   #57
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI-Jay View Post
Me neither. Mind you i rented a crappy dodge charger once, and it was so thirsty after beating the piss out of it, i was happy to hand it back.

I said to myself if i owned one of these, i'd be more conscientious on putting my foot down..

For my gti, just drive and smile !
I've got a 99 Suzuki Grand Vitara...and that thing gets crap gas mileage. I've been driving to the beach to ride as of late and its costing me $20 bucks per trip. I mainly use it when I go mountain biking or running errands locally with crappy parking. I don't baby the throttle on that thing either...because if I don't gas it...lol...I'm not going anywhere.

Intentionally driving to hit a certain MPG would literally drive me nuts. If I was trying to maximize my MPG...I'd get a Prius.
Chogokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #58
danall

Quote:

There are 3 modes in computer for calculating mileage. Instant, since start and since refuel. All should be quoting numbers from "since refuel" and even then those can be skewed if you just filled up and had a good stretch in the City. Try looking at that mode on an empty tank before fill up and still tell me you get 30+ mpg in a city while driving spiritedly. I don't believe it, because I've tried it.

Aargh...the gas mileage thread. There are different urban driving conditions and different driving habits. Just because you can't get 30mpg doesn't mean those who do are lying.
today i checked the computer, 205 miles since fillup, all urban driving, 28.8 mph average with 30.2 mpg average over those 205 miles...ALL urban.
Keep in mind my urban situation, i have a urban commute that involves 6 miles of "beltline" of 55 MPH. ALso another frequent stretch is 5 miles of 40 MPH with just a few stop lites. It all depends upon the actual urban routes and number of stops etc, but my weekly urban average is almost always over 30 mpg. Now as far as highway, no i don't think i've every averaged 40 but 36-38 seems about normal. Spirited rural driving, that's a whole nuther story.
danall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM   #59
Rogues Gambit

Drives: '07 A4 Quattro, '16 EB Mustang
Quote:
+1

If you care about MPG's, put your big girl panties on and get a Prius

All the cars I look at are for fun and tuning potential
Audi - JHM St2 w/HPFP, JHM HFC+B7 S4 FI Catback, JHM St1 Clutch/Flywheel, S4 Recaros, JHM Shift-Trio+Cross Rod, Bi-xenon Headlights, JOM Smoked Tail Lights, Enkei PF01, Pirelli P-Zero Plus, Solo-werks S1 Coilovers

Mustang https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34299
Rogues Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #60
Rogues Gambit

Drives: '07 A4 Quattro, '16 EB Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarktoo View Post
LoL @ Electric is 100yo technology, as if it is somehow primitive compared to ICE (which even older tech)
It was Gas, Electric and Steam initially

Which one of the 3 stood the test of time?
Audi - JHM St2 w/HPFP, JHM HFC+B7 S4 FI Catback, JHM St1 Clutch/Flywheel, S4 Recaros, JHM Shift-Trio+Cross Rod, Bi-xenon Headlights, JOM Smoked Tail Lights, Enkei PF01, Pirelli P-Zero Plus, Solo-werks S1 Coilovers

Mustang https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34299
Rogues Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #61
southpawboston

Drives: '17 GSW S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogues Gambit View Post
It was Gas, Electric and Steam initially

Which one of the 3 stood the test of time?
Not a fair comparison. Too much lobbying killed electric for cars. There was a good documentary on this, called "Who killed the electric car".

The gas and oil lobby is huge and is dead set to kill any alternative technology no matter how viable or superior it may be.

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant 1984 GTI '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition '86 Scirocco '86 Audi 4000S
southpawboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #62
heiney9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danall View Post
Aargh...the gas mileage thread. There are different urban driving conditions and different driving habits. Just because you can't get 30mpg doesn't mean those who do are lying.
today i checked the computer, 205 miles since fillup, all urban driving, 28.8 mph average with 30.2 mpg average over those 205 miles...ALL urban.
Keep in mind my urban situation, i have a urban commute that involves 6 miles of "beltline" of 55 MPH. ALso another frequent stretch is 5 miles of 40 MPH with just a few stop lites. It all depends upon the actual urban routes and number of stops etc, but my weekly urban average is almost always over 30 mpg. Now as far as highway, no i don't think i've every averaged 40 but 36-38 seems about normal. Spirited rural driving, that's a whole nuther story.
Never averaged anywhere near 30 mpg in an urban setting and on the highway I might be able to nudge 34 if I am extremely judicious in almost never pushing the gas pedal after I set the cruise and it better not be Summer when the air is on.

EPA rating is 25/33 for DSG. If you are getting grossly more than that or grossly under that then you aren't calculating correctly or you have an issue.

If someone is getting 30 or more and describing it as city driving, then that's the wrong description. And those showing computer screen shots for getting over 40 on the highway are just cherry picking the best short term result trying to pass it off as having a much more fuel efficient GTi than the rest of us.

I do a lot of starting and stopping in the city and that kills short term mileage. Sitting at several long lights kills short term mileage. Average it over a tank or two and I get close to EPA numbers. Sometimes a bit better, sometime a bit worse.

On my current tank according to the computer setting "since fill-up" and I've used 1/2 tank of fuel since last week, I am averaging 20.6 in the city. But, it's been hot, I've been running the air and have lots of starts, stops w/idling in between. Instantaneous MPG readout can read as high as 26-27 mpg, but that's just a small point in time, the average is the more accurate indication. (car has 7500 miles on the odo)

Last edited by heiney9; Yesterday at 08:30 PM.
heiney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #63
danall

Quote:
EPA rating is 25/33 for DSG. If you are getting grossly more than that or grossly under that then you aren't calculating correctly or you have an issue.

If someone is getting 30 or more and describing it as city driving, then that's the wrong description. And those showing computer screen shots for getting over 40 on the highway are just cherry picking the best short term result trying to pass it off as having a much more fuel efficient GTi than the rest of us.

#1. I did not calculate this, this GTI does have an on board computer that calculates it ya know.
I described my driving and its entirely within city, perhaps it does not match YOUR, definition but because you can't achieve it doesn't mean no one else can....IT is city driving, it is my normal entirely within city driving for 205 miles. I don't use AC, i drive a manual, I have no long and very few stop lites in my normal route. I plan my routes to avoid long lites. No it's not the "average" type of city driving encountered, it is MY city driving and what i get. Let it rest.
danall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #64
Tsi7

Drives: 2015 golf 1.8 tsi
Quote:
Never averaged anywhere near 30 mpg in an urban setting and on the highway I might be able to nudge 34 if I am extremely judicious in almost never pushing the gas pedal after I set the cruise and it better not be Summer when the air is on.

I do a lot of starting and stopping in the city and that kills short term mileage. Sitting at several long lights kills short term mileage. Average it over a tank or two and I get close to EPA numbers. Sometimes a bit better, sometime a bit worse.

On my current tank according to the computer setting "since fill-up" and I've used 1/2 tank of fuel since last week, I am averaging 20.6 in the city. But, it's been hot, I've been running the air and have lots of starts, stops w/idling in between. Instantaneous MPG readout can read as high as 26-27 mpg, but that's just a small point in time, the average is the more accurate indication. (car has 7500 miles on the odo)
but, but.... 44 mpg

in all fairness I agree I can't cherry pick as I average nowhere near that on a daily....

That was a drive with tail winds in my favour, and I was going 120 to 130 when traffic allowed, then the rest slower which brought the average down to 99km/h as you can see

Why i posted that is because yes, you can acheive stupid high numbers, but on average something like what I managed there won't happen very often... maybe i'd be able to pull that on a full tank a couple of times if the conditions favored
Tsi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #65
Strange Mud

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by danall View Post
I did not calculate this, this GTI does have an on board computer that calculates it ya know.
idk about your cars math but many folks that have checked it's math have found it to be exaggerated. I still am impressed by what I get.

mine exaggerates by 5-7% or around 2+ mpg
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #66
Faceman

Drives: 2017 GSW S 4Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
idk about your cars math but many folks that have checked it's math have found it to be exaggerated. I still am impressed by what I get.

mine exaggerates by 5-7% or around 2+ mpg
Same here.
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #67
heiney9

I also admit upon self reflection I drive with a heavy foot. I can't help myself in either GTi because the cars are just so responsive and so fun to drive. My mileage suffers because of my driving style.

FTR, When I have driven it more like the average person on occasion and I can get close to the EPA in the City.

But I still feel the math has to be done and not to rely on the ob computer and that a true representation of MPG is over an entire tank, not just a single trip.

My gf currently is the majority driver in my MK5 GTi and she goes much longer between fill-ups than I ever did, but she has a much lighter foot than I do. I'm vroom, vroom and she's putt, putt....lol
Old Today, 03:16 PM   #68
southpawboston

Drives: '17 GSW S
What is a heavy foot when you're driving on an interstate? 95% of the time you're keeping a steady speed (or should be). I like to drive with a lead foot when and where it makes sense-- on back roads, when overtaking, or when accelerating from a stop. As long as I mix about 95% of steady interstate travel into a trip, it doesn't matter how hard I drive the remaining 5% of the time, I'll still get over 35 mpg (1.8 TSI) and have seen as much as 41 mpg on a tank of gas (hand calculated, and over the course of ~400 miles).

On the other hand, I live in a dense urban environment, and when the car isn't driven outside the city limits, with trips averaging less than a mile or two in length, and idles in traffic 50% of the time, my mileage has been as low as 14 mpg over an entire tank of gas.

past VAGs: '69 Type 3 Variant 1984 GTI '85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition '86 Scirocco '86 Audi 4000S
southpawboston is offline   Reply With Quote