GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you sleep at night?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Washed it last night. Rained last night. Drove on wet roads this morning.

Like I said, can't have nice things hahaha. Weather report said 10% chance, seemed like good odds...

DAS_STIG

Banned
Buy a clay mitt or clay towel and you won't spend 2 hours on claying. It will change your life. I'm not exaggerating.

I love my 6" nanoskin clay pad. Can do our cars in no time. Need the clay for some finer areas still.

Did some reading on the clay mitts and the general consensus seems to be that yes, it's quicker, but they mar the paint more and will generally need a polish to fix things up afterward. Claybar can mar the paint as well, but less likely to. Have you guys noticed any issues on our cars with that? I'm still learning about washing/detailing so have never actually gone beyond a general wash until I claybarred recently. Polishing/sealing/waxing is still all new and I don't have any tools to speed things up.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Life's short. It rains here a lot.

I grab a bunch of quarters, throw drying towels in the car and head to my favorite self serve wash.

I have wolfgang uber rinse in the garage that I use as a quick detailer. 303 for the tires. Once a year roughly,, the paint and wheels get opti-sealed.

Silk blue paint. Looks new 2 years and 40k miles later.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Did some reading on the clay mitts and the general consensus seems to be that yes, it's quicker, but they mar the paint more and will generally need a polish to fix things up afterward. Claybar can mar the paint as well, but less likely to. Have you guys noticed any issues on our cars with that? I'm still learning about washing/detailing so have never actually gone beyond a general wash until I claybarred recently. Polishing/sealing/waxing is still all new and I don't have any tools to speed things up.

I really have not found that to be the case. You are spending less time in contact with the paint using a mitt or towel. I have actually seen less marring than with traditional clay. I use wash soap with the mitt/towel which provides greater lubrication that the detail spray that is traditionally used with clay.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm getting tired of waxing cars. I'm just going to have a dealer do it twice a year, after every love bug season.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I personally feel that you shouldn't touch a car with clay unless you plan on polishing it anyways. Chemical decons get most of the shit off these days anyways. If I feel my car needs clayed, I give it a TRIX and IRON-X treatment and that makes me more then satisfied. Nice an soft, just like I clayed it.

The pads will mar, but again, I only clay when I am about to put something under the scalpel.