GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you sleep at night?

DAS_STIG

Banned
Knowing all your hard work cleaning your car will be undone as soon as you leave the driveway? Quick wash was one thing, but I spent over 2 hours yesterday clay barring the car... now I have to drive 20 miles to work on the highway and it makes me sad.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Just don't drive your car. Get a second car that you can not wash.

Running this idea by the wife.

Then might I suggest a coating? Bugs and gunk slide right off. Or put on a good sealant and wax and the same applies.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. What other types of coatings are there besides wax/sealant? I have not seen a cover-all post, sorry if I missed it.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I just bought Gyeon Wetcoat (500ml) for a little under 20$, it's a spray sealant. You can find similar sealants from Sonax, CarPro, etc.

Washed the car, light polish with a DA polisher, wet the car again, spray a panel with Gyeon Wetcoat, blast it with a pressure washer. I used it on my wheels as well, beads pretty nicely. You have to apply it on a wet surface and you can't let it dry out. You can probably find application guides on youtube.

From the various reviews, should last a few weeks to maybe a few months. Not bad for the ease of application and low cost. The 500ml bottle should last me over a year if I apply every 2-3 months.

If you want something more durable, there's always ceramic coating. But prep is harder and quite tedious. I leave stuff like those to professionals :)

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Knowing all your hard work cleaning your car will be undone as soon as you leave the driveway? Quick wash was one thing, but I spent over 2 hours yesterday clay barring the car... now I have to drive 20 miles to work on the highway and it makes me sad.

Just get a penthouse that you can bring your car up an elevator and park in the living room. Then just leave it. Dust once a week.

https://youtu.be/hhcNqU4gApg

https://youtu.be/hyHmkIzJE84

Last edited:

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
A normal upkeep wash takes me about 2 hours, it gets washed once a week regardless of weather report. Sometimes it goes right out of the parking garage into a rain storm. I have spent my whole life in Ohio and am used to it by now. We can't have nice things :rolleyes:

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I'm definitely getting my next car ceramic coated.
I work in an industrial area and it is totally pointless to wash my car.
A retired employee comes by the office every now and then to wash cars and that is the only time I have my car washed (I have a roof rack with bike carriers so I don't run it through automatic car washes).
I had my carbon steel grey washed by him this past Friday and that was the first time in 2 MONTHS! It had turned carbon steel light grey!
There is a battery recycling plant down the road from my office so it is required for them to take this big water tanker truck and literally wash the streets.
So the road leaving, and coming to my office is ALWAYS wet.
It is also very dusty around here so my car gets parked, gets a nice coat of dust/dirt all over it, and then I drive down a wet road to really seal that grime on there as it sprays down the side of my car hah.
Oh yeah and then I drive it home and have to park it under a tree, that in the last few months has become home to a bird or birds (hard to believe it is just one) with irritable bowel syndrome.
I've never taken less care of a car, than I have with my poor MK7.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Oh yeah and then I drive it home and have to park it under a tree, that in the last few months has become home to a bird or birds (hard to believe it is just one) with irritable bowel syndrome.

Guaranteed someone close by is feeding them.

If this tree is on your property just have it cut down, if this is a condo community or the like, well that really sucks.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Guaranteed someone close by is feeding them.

If this tree is on your property just have it cut down, if this is a condo community or the like, well that really sucks.

Townhouse. So yeah lol.
Only have a one car garage and the wife's car stays in there most of the time.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I just let it be. No matter how careful you try to be...shit will happen to your car.

My car is garaged 5 days a week. I drive about ~600 miles a month. I've got etchings from bird droppings and I can see pits on the front bumper. I found a rock chip on the roof of the car and a small deep scratch in the middle of the hood. If your car leaves the driveway...shits gonna happen to it.