GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding extra USB ports

gekko1

Hello everyone! :)
I am new here so forgive me if a post like this already exists but I could not find any...

Has anyone done any or is aware of any existing mods, to put in extra custom USB ports inside the cabin of the Mk7? For example inside the glove box, around the gear shifter or in the compartment between the front seats?

You can never have enough USB ports these days, and my Mk7 only has 1 at the moment! :/

I found a solution that I like but this is only for a Mk6... Something like this for a Mk7 would be perfect! http://www.doubleapex.co/collections/vw/products/usb_charger_usb01?variant=338115402

Thanks for your help!

ZeroZero

Hello everyone! :)
I am new here so forgive me if a post like this already exists but I could not find any...

Has anyone done any or is aware of any existing mods, to put in extra custom USB ports inside the cabin of the Mk7? For example inside the glove box, around the gear shifter or in the compartment between the front seats?

You can never have enough USB ports these days, and my Mk7 only has 1 at the moment! :/

I found a solution that I like but this is only for a Mk6... Something like this for a Mk7 would be perfect! http://www.doubleapex.co/collections/vw/products/usb_charger_usb01?variant=338115402

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone found a solution please?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Not as elegant as the Double-Apex, but it works for me:

I have another in the center armrest that powers a Raspberry Pi and phone charger.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

I have another in the center armrest that powers a Raspberry Pi and phone charger.

Yeah, this is the route I went-- USB charger plugged into the 12V outlet.

If the OP is willing to remove the center console, he can replace the stock 12V outlet with a flush-mount USB charger, like this one on Amazon.

Comes in different color illumination to match your interior lighting.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Unless he wants a USB port as another data entry point. It amazes me these cars only have one.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Seeing as how just as recent as 2015, they had no usb ports, this is progress.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed

What are you using the raspberry pi for? :D

As a pi fan, I've always wanted to find a good use for one in my car ;)

ishkrbibbl

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
What are you using the raspberry pi for? :D

As a pi fan, I've always wanted to find a good use for one in my car ;)
Raspberry Pi?
New to GTI family do not understand ALSO - where did you get flush usb adapter - all I find are raised - in the way?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Wouldn't a USB splitter and then run from splitter to existing location and then to other compartment be a solution? Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-And...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
You would have to be on the other side of the 5G0035222E which is the USB interface to the cable going to head unit. Since you would have to move, it would be a hassle finding a USB cable that fit into existing location, but totally doable. For center console they make nice square USB ports that with a dremel and some epoxy look real nice. I added one to my center console in another car and it looks OEM. Else, if you just need another charging station wherever you have 12V you can put in a USB charger.

Never mind, just saw this "Note: It does not work for car USB/ Apple Carplay.as these systems do not support USB hubs."

Last edited: