GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifting Manual Transmission

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
I still never get the rev hang people talk about.

Interesting. I get it constantly, but not always. It's quite horrible, really delays shifting. 17 GTI Sport, USDM.

its practically non existent on an MT gti, that's why. On a DSG, there's a small amount.

Go rent a US piece of shit auto, and you'll see what all the fuss (in a negative way) is all about.

Rev hang doesnt matter much in an auto. Definitely effects my 2017 MT6 GTI Mk7.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
I'm not sure if some are just referring to that it can take a long time for revs to drop, or actual hang where they don't even start dropping immediately.

I've never noticed much of true rev hang where the revs don't even begin to fall right away after clutching in, but I've certainly noticed them fall slower depending on when you shift. For example in the 1-2 shift they fall faster when shifting at 3500 rpm vs 2500 rpm. There's a definite sweet spot.

And then there's just the general fact that the revs don't fall very quickly across the board, especially with no AC on, I imagine due to the heavy dual mass flywheel and the fact that some gears are so spread apart.

But I agree, there is barely any actual rev hang. Maybe just a tad from delayed drive-by-wire throttle closure but nothing that would screw up someone's shifting.

Hmm, the only thing you said that I agree with, is that the rev hang is minor or nonexistent shifting at 3500rpm, but noticeable and worse at 2500rpm.

But YES, it does INDEED screw up my shifting. And shifting at 2500rpm is hardly lazy acceleration. I usually shift under 2000rpm if im just going for fuel economy. Yea, the rev hang is real, and irritating. It seems there may be options to fix it...

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Hmm, the only thing you said that I agree with, is that the rev hang is minor or nonexistent shifting at 3500rpm, but noticeable and worse at 2500rpm.

But YES, it does INDEED screw up my shifting. And shifting at 2500rpm is hardly lazy acceleration. I usually shift under 2000rpm if im just going for fuel economy. Yea, the rev hang is real, and irritating. It seems there may be options to fix it...

I shouldn't have said it wouldn't screw up someone's shifting. I can see how that would happen if you sometimes shift at 3500 and sometimes at 2000. I always try to shift at the same points (roughly) no matter what, which for me, helps my consistency. At least in daily driving. If I'm trying to hit an on ramp quick I'll run out a gear here and there.

What are the options you're referring to to fix the "rev hang"? Shift at a higher RPM?

I've also never understood the desire to treat 1st gear like a granny gear and shift out as soon as possible. I guess if you're going for fuel economy, but as long as you aren't dipping into boost too much the car is already pretty fuel efficient. Shifting low out of 1st puts you at the very bottom of the RPM spectrum in 2nd as the spread between the two gears is wide. Personally I don't like that as it feels like the car is bogged down and takes awhile to build up boost again and get in the power band.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely agree with not using 1st "just to get it rolling." No need to get crazy with it, but I feel like if you use 1st like this 2nd immediately lugs and you're forced to baby the throttle. Great for mileage, but not very exciting.

Higher RPM range shift from 1st to 2nd is easier to execute as well but that's purely my feel with the car.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
Ive heard there are engine tweaks that can mitigate or eliminate the hang. Its all emissions nonsense. I want my GTI's engine to respond a bit more like my Porsche, and less like a minivan. When I say my shifts are "screwed up" i mean, they are way delayed. I can shift much faster than the car is letting me.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Definitely agree with not using 1st "just to get it rolling." No need to get crazy with it, but I feel like if you use 1st like this 2nd immediately lugs and you're forced to baby the throttle. Great for mileage, but not very exciting.

Higher RPM range shift from 1st to 2nd is easier to execute as well but that's purely my feel with the car.

1st gear in the Mk7 is actually quite use able to get up to like 20mph unlike most cars. Still never get a noticeable rev hand no matter where I shift though. I can't understand why people say they need to wait to shift from 1st to 2nd.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I've also never understood the desire to treat 1st gear like a granny gear and shift out as soon as possible. I guess if you're going for fuel economy, but as long as you aren't dipping into boost too much the car is already pretty fuel efficient. Shifting low out of 1st puts you at the very bottom of the RPM spectrum in 2nd as the spread between the two gears is wide. Personally I don't like that as it feels like the car is bogged down and takes awhile to build up boost again and get in the power band.

Because people in front of you step on the accelerator as if crossing a mine riddled field. Of course this has the dual purpose of only allowing 3 cars through the light. In these situations, I'm in 3rd by 20mph.

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
bogged down

Shifting low out of 1st puts you at the very bottom of the RPM spectrum in 2nd as the spread between the two gears is wide. Personally I don't like that as it feels like the car is bogged down and takes awhile to build up boost again and get in the power band.

Agree. Things like speed bumps and 90* turns can leave you at such low rpm that you're tempted to downshift into 1st just to wake the car up. And the engine sound down there is archaic. I'd love a smaller 2nd gear.

danall

Passed Driver's Ed
i've read all these posts and i guess i just don't get it. I've driven manuals most of my 49 years of driving and there's nothing wrong with this GTI. Yes the clutch engagement is tough to feel, and there was a wee bit of rpm lag but after making the minor changes referred to here, it shifts great. Adding a short shifter has made it one of the best shifting cars I've had by far. Just as a test i had a friend of mine drive it the other day, and afterwards I asked him what he thought, and he said its great and wished his manual shifting car shifted as well.
Note: my other current manual shifting car is a 37 chevy coupe with a built 454 engine (450+ hp)and a Muncie 4 speed with Hurst comp plus shifter. Shifts great but it is really different when going from that to the GTI, as different as nite and day, but one just has to adapt to the difference. All my manuals have shifted differently, just have to learn em.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
No, heel and toe still needed. Maybe in certain circumstances it assists a little, but because it is somewhat unpredictable, there's no actual benefit.

And yes, mk7 GTIs have fine manuals and clutches. They may not have the most ideal or perfect feel or feedback, but the complaints in this thread are completely nitpicky. Some Germans probably prefer a slight isolation in the gear shifting, probably consider that a refinement(as in NVH reduction), because guess what - they still shift just fine! Remember the shifter uses cables, so it'll never be as nice as a direct, rigid mechanical connection, a la an FR layout. Clutch friction point feel is completely superfluous to proper shifting, with a little practice. I especially laugh at some people commenting that they would rather have a DSG because the MT isn't perfect enough for them.

Last edited:
Sorry to necro this thread. I see there are a handful of posts on this topic but I like this one :)

I have been driving MT for almost 30 years; never owned an automatic transmission vehicle. I find myself struggling with 1st to 2nd and found the following video helpful:

https://youtu.be/CjPj4Yo6mh4

I can get shifts relatively smooth 90% of the time but it really does take a long time to rev match from 1st to 2nd. I get smoked from a dead stop by fully loaded minivans on a daily basis.

I’m sure I will get lambasted by the folks who are “pretty much manual transmission experts” but I have a hard time conceptualizing how it’s physically possible to quickly, and smoothly, get this thing going from a stop without slipping the hell out of the clutch.

I have executed faster 0-60mph in manual transmission vehicles with less than 100hp. Very surprising and frustrating. I’ll keep practicing but had to vent :)

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I'm still really confused about what people experience when they complain about the 1-2 shift, someone should take a video.