GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best ESC Settings for Road Course

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Sorry for the late reply, haven't checked this in a while.

I am running stock PP pads on stock PP brakes. The fact that the car can still get into ABS with sticky tires means its probably still sufficient in terms of brake friction. I am curious if running BBK(assuming only on the front axle) if it messes with EBD and causing it to pull brake pressure to prevent lockup earlier.

The fact that you can still activate ABS doesn’t really qualify stock pads as being capable of true track work. I’ve run super aggressive race pads as a novice thinking more is better only to find out that my brakes became an on/off switch and I didn’t have the skill to modulate my retardation. I couldn’t finesse the brakes for weight transfer to enhance grip heading into corners. I much prefer less bite and better brake modulation in my pads capabilities. My Pagid RS 29’s give this feel. I’m sure I could compress my brake zones with more aggressive pads, but this would come at the expense of rotors and losing performance towards the end of my sessions with stock PP brakes. A BBK will provide good performance right to the end of a session.

My PP brakes did a great job until I started compressing my brake zones by one brake marker. I lost my consistency going into turn 1 at VIR and started to get some fade towards the end of my sessions.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
What I meant was if you are lacking pure braking torque and as a result losing decel G on sticky tires, that is a pretty fair indication if you can't get into ABS. Modulation is a different story.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Lol.

There have been a few topic shifts in this post. Which is on me.
I misunderstood. You were referring to my comments on decel g’s under braking. All the posts are still pertinent as it still touches the topic of optimal ESC settings for the track.

Sometimes the nannies really get in the way and to be honest I had no clue as to how many our cars have. Not to mention the complexity of how they are all intertwined. This post is helping me connect the dots. Reducing brake pressure to pre-empt lockup may be the reason for the low decel g’s. Our goal is the threshold brake right below the point of triggering ABS. Thinking of my driving style where I’m pretty aggressive on the curbs. Trying to compress brake zones. Getting one, sometime two wheels off the ground, is triggering ESC, EBD, confusing the VAQ diff. All the while heat soaking my PP brakes.

I wonder how much time is still in the car, just by making all these electronic changes.
My best VIR laptime is a 2:19.9 with a virtual best of 2:17.9
So I know that there is 2-seconds on the table in me as the driver. I am now very curious what the car is capable of at VIR with the electronic nannies dialed off. Bone stock other than pads fluid and MPS4S.

This is where comparing notes with other folks who have run VIR is helpful. Comparing sector times.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I am still pretty surprised in most cases the threshold for ESC intervention is on the car with appropriately grippy tires, but it definitely still gets upset when you are maybe dragging a wheel in the air going for hard braking in opposite direction corner(this seems fairly repeatable. I get some auditory feedback when you can almost hear rear tire locking and you can almost guarantee the car will be pulling power on the way out.