GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Instrument Lights Fade Out.

Mike.B

I posted this in the UK section but thought it might be better opening it up here.

I have my headlights set to 'Auto' but the Instrument lights fade out as a reminder to me to turn the headlights on.... Is that F#@%*D up or am I missing something here?

Turning the headlights on manually stops this happening. But it happens in the daytime when I don't want the headlights on.

A guy in the UK forum suggests turning the headlight response time to fast, fair enough but I'm sure the instrument lights faded to black with the headlights set to 'Auto' and actually on.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I posted this in the UK section but thought it might be better opening it up here.

I have my headlights set to 'Auto' but the Instrument lights fade out as a reminder to me to turn the headlights on.... Is that F#@%*D up or am I missing something here?

Turning the headlights on manually stops this happening. But it happens in the daytime when I don't want the headlights on.

A guy in the UK forum suggests turning the headlight response time to fast, fair enough but I'm sure the instrument lights faded to black with the headlights set to 'Auto' and actually on.

How sure are you that they were on? On the balance of probability, they weren't actually on.

Mike.B

How sure are you that they were on? On the balance of probability, they weren't actually on.

Fairly sure as when I pulled up and had a look the headlights were on but whether or not they were at the exact moment the instrument lights faded I can't say as I was driving.

Will make the changes as suggested and feed back.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Fairly sure as when I pulled up and had a look the headlights were on but whether or not they were at the exact moment the instrument lights faded I can't say as I was driving.

Will make the changes as suggested and feed back.

For future reference, the light control switch will illuminate sidelights green when the auto lights have kicked in.

Mike.B

For future reference, the light control switch will illuminate sidelights green when the auto lights have kicked in.

This morning was my first journey to work with the headlight response set to 'fast'. Drove for a minute or so when the instruments lights decided to dim away to off, it stayed this way for what must have been 30 or 40 seconds after which time the headlights came on (green icon near switch illuminated) at which point the the dash lit up again.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
The panel lights decide whether to dim or brighten based on readings taken from the light sensor in the cluster, and some wacky algorithm that doesn't seem to make any sense. I found it frustrating as hell. There's a setting you can tweak with VCDS or OBDeleven that forces them to stay lit at full brightness at all times when the headlight switch is in the auto position. I changed this setting long ago and it functions as advertised. Do some searching and you should find the instructions, I think it was on this board that they were originally posted. Or perhaps DV52 will chime in with the answer. Hell it was probably him who posted it originally.

Mike.B

The panel lights decide whether to dim or brighten based on readings taken from the light sensor in the cluster, and some wacky algorithm that doesn't seem to make any sense. I found it frustrating as hell. There's a setting you can tweak with VCDS or OBDeleven that forces them to stay lit at full brightness at all times when the headlight switch is in the auto position. I changed this setting long ago and it functions as advertised. Do some searching and you should find the instructions, I think it was on this board that they were originally posted. Or perhaps DV52 will chime in with the answer. Hell it was probably him who posted it originally.

My main concern was that something wasn't right and as the car is still under warranty I wanted to be sure before returning to the VW dealer. So while it seems a floored system it probably is right and not broken as I feared.

VCDS, OBDeleven are things I don't have access to and haven't dabbled with. Your solution seems to be my best option.

Thanks for your help.