GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs coilovers

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
Hello. Installed Sachs Coilovers on my Mk7 Gti a week ago. Decided to not wait any longer on the Bilsteins, and went with another reputable company. Coilovers are great, but I gotta say I expected them to be a little stiffer. Dampening is fine, but it feels like maybe the springs are a little softer than I would prefer as there is still a little side to side "wobble" feel sometimes. In any case, I already have a H&R 24 inch RSB, would adding a thicker FSB stiffen the front end a little bit and perhaps bring the spring rate up a little?

Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
FSB is a pain in the ass to do and the end results are barely noticeable if at all.

Did you replace the upper strut mounts to the 034motorsports ones? They're much stiffer and would most likely help the "wobble" you describe.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I replaced with new OEM mounts and bearings. Thanks for the feedback.
Yeah, the oem mounts won't hold up very well to the new stiffer suspension. The bearings are fine, but the mount are most likely what's causing what you're experiencing.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I assume by “wobble” you are referring to excessive side to side movement / sloppiness when you make quick movements with the steering wheel such as a quick lane change?

I am sure lots of people use the OEM mounts with coils. I have the regular 034s with mine but they’re not going to do anything for changing the spring rate. I wouldn’t swap them out unless you start having problems with the OEM mounts or you want more negative camber up front. It won’t fix sloppiness / floatiness from the coils though.

As for a front bar, if you have the time and/or resources and want to improve handling overall I would say adding a front bar isn’t a bad idea. It’s not going to fix any floating sensation you may be experiencing with the coils but adding a significantly bigger front bar such as the 26mm H&R bar will help keep the front end down when cornering. I have the that bar and could immediately tell the difference ...to the point where I was giddy with how planted the front end became and instantly became one of my favorite mods. My side to side movement on quick steering wheel adjustments was already hunkered down with the HPA SHS coils but the front bar was the finishing touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
Thanks Hammersticks. SO what I'm describing isn't during quick lane changes. More when driving at normal speeds it just feels "soft"-er than I expected it to I guess.

I guess I'll add a front bar. Can't hurt right?

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Like a floaty feel where the car doesn’t settle back down quickly enough?

Adding a front bar won’t hurt anything, except the pocketbook. Again, if you are going to do it, do it right. Since you have the HR 24mm rear bar get their 26mm front bar. It’s a bigger bar and it’s 3 way adjustable (2 holes) so you can set one side to stiff and one side to soft to get medium (stiffness is across the whole bar).

Only reason not to get a front bar is the expense or if you drive competitively and this impacts your class etc.

Last thing I would say is that the install is no joke as the subframe must be lowered. I usually do my own work but had it done for me (by someone who has done a ton of them) as I had heard horror stories of subframe clunking post install. It isn’t rocket science but I just didn’t want to deal.

Ultimately, I am not here to tell you to go out and spend hundreds of dollars, but I’m really happy with mine and would recommend that bar if you want to limit front end body roll. [emoji1]

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
Yeah. Think my mind is set on it :)

In any case car settles quickly. IDK how to describe it but when going slowly, say like in a parking lot, I get more of a side to side movement than I would think there would be with coilovers. Perhaps that's because of the soft springs on the Sachs coils. I read somewhere that they're in the range of 220 ft lbs/inch - which is marginally stiffer than stock.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I guess you mean roll that’s initiated by single sided road undulations with “side to side movements”. In that case stiffer isn’t always better. Decoupling is the topic here. Can you adjust the damping forces? If so try softer and/or firmer. Before you spend more money take the links of the rear sway bar out and try the parking lot again. W/o the rear sway bar it should be noticeable better. If you like that head toss behavior better try the factory sway bar again.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Hello. Installed Sachs Coilovers on my Mk7 Gti a week ago. Decided to not wait any longer on the Bilsteins, and went with another reputable company. Coilovers are great, but I gotta say I expected them to be a little stiffer. Dampening is fine, but it feels like maybe the springs are a little softer than I would prefer as there is still a little side to side "wobble" feel sometimes. In any case, I already have a H&R 24 inch RSB, would adding a thicker FSB stiffen the front end a little bit and perhaps bring the spring rate up a little?

Thoughts? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Any pics of this setup? How low are you and how low can you go. Just curious, these like nice but are not cheap and not a lot of people running them it seems.

GTiTES81

Ready to race!
Sorry no pics yet. I'm at about 38mm(1.5inch) lowered and have another 12mm (45 inch) or so to go. I'm running 19x8.5 wheels with 235/35/19 tires which is about 0.4inches taller than OEM and with that I have about a one finger gap.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP what are you trying to accomplish in the first place?