GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have to replace my windshield and the glass shop is giving me the run around

SDGTIfan

A rock hit my car (2017 Autobahn) when I was driving on the freeway and created a big chip on the front windshield. Made an appointment and dropped the car at a reputed glass shop one week ago. The tech calls me back after an hour and tells me they need a specific glass for this model (due to some sensor) and that they dont have it in stock. He says that they have ordered it from the dealer and it will be available in 2~3 days and asks me to pick up my car and bring it back then

One week later no update or contact from them. I called them twice and they say part is still not delivered from the dealer

And they tried to charge me $630 for it after quoting $375 initially and I negotiated it down to $430

Right now the crack has expanded to half my windshield so i want it replaced ASAP

1) does the price look right?
2) Does the GTI autobahn really need some special glass that is tough to get from dealer?
3) Any recommendations for good glass shops in SD that will use OEM for windshield replacement?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
That seems to be the original price of the glass without insurance. Did you get a cost through your insurance.

I changed my windshield twice through Safelite last year. First replacement was OEM and second replacement was an aftermarket. My insurance deductible was $100 and the vendor paid $50 both times.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
A rock hit my car (2017 Autobahn) when I was driving on the freeway and created a big chip on the front windshield. Made an appointment and dropped the car at a reputed glass shop one week ago. The tech calls me back after an hour and tells me they need a specific glass for this model (due to some sensor) and that they dont have it in stock. He says that they have ordered it from the dealer and it will be available in 2~3 days and asks me to pick up my car and bring it back then

That is exactly what happened to me in March, on my then-3-month-old 2017 Autobahn. It's the sensor for the wipers; Safelite doesn't have a glass for this. My $400 repair turned into a $900 repair. (So, I submitted it to State Farm; I paid my $500 deductible, they paid the rest. And before you ask, no, State Farm does nothing special with windshield coverage, and this state doesn't require that they do.)

One week later no update or contact from them. I called them twice and they say part is still not delivered from the dealer

And they tried to charge me $630 for it after quoting $375 initially and I negotiated it down to $430

The part is expensive; I paid the list price for it. That initial $375 quote you got was if they used their glass. They couldn't use their glass, so they used the VW part. Didn't they explain that to you right up front?

I was happy they discovered that *before* they pulled my windshield. My Safelite shop was great.

Right now the crack has expanded to half my windshield so i want it replaced ASAP

1) does the price look right?
2) Does the GTI autobahn really need some special glass that is tough to get from dealer?
3) Any recommendations for good glass shops in SD that will use OEM for windshield replacement?

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2017_GTI-Autobahn-AT/Windshield-Glass/67814133/5GM845011AANVB.html

It looks like the price for the part has come down a decent amount just since March. I know it was listed here for a good bit more than $574 back then.

I can't imagine they didn't explain this to you in GREAT detail. "We don't have and can't get something that fits your application, therefore we must use the dealer part, it costs $X, and our install fee is $Y."

You can go to the dealer yourself and ask about the glass price.

Yes, you need glass that is built to accommodate your rain sensor. Didn't they explain that to you either? For me, Safelite acknowledged they didn't have anything that would be suitable. I'm just as glad they handled it the way they did.

If you had the full DAP, you'd have more sensors to deal with--and you'd be out of your mind at the price of having the dealer re-calibrate it all.

A windshield is no longer just a windshield.

If you could find a third party vendor for glass that does suit your rain sensor application, get the glass from there and just have a glass shop install it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Did you contact your insurance company? Some states mandate they cover windshields, and some companies cover it without being told to. As for the price you can always call other shops, but you want an experienced shop not the best price. If they don't put the glass back in the same place you could need a $300 alignment.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
1) does the price look right? Price looks good, I work for a glass shop and thats cheaper than normal. If you want, usually glass shops pay list on the invoice for the glass and profit by 20%, give the dealer a call and ask for a price for the windshield.

2) Does the GTI autobahn really need some special glass that is tough to get from dealer? Yes, here there is no availability for aftermarket glass either. It needs LDWS/FCA etc.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Luckily I have rain-sensing eyeballs so I don't need special glass in me car.

This is definitely a nice punch in the balls for people who dropped the extra cash on the highest trim line. I mean, I guess you should expect replacement parts to be more expensive with the technology included, but how much more expensive is pretty surprising.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
2) Does the GTI autobahn really need some special glass that is tough to get from dealer? Yes, here there is no availability for aftermarket glass either. It needs LDWS/FCA etc.

I replaced mine with aftermarket windshield when i did that for the second time.

thxrick

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2022 BMW X4MC, 2016
I Have lived (permanently) in 2 states: MA and FL...both require glass coverage with 0 deductible if you have comp. The ins. companies are cheap pricks...they still jam you with some crappy off brand...I go OEM.

cb1111

I don't understand why people don't have a low comprehensive deductible and why they don't just go to the dealer to get their windshield repaired. You pay your deductible and the insurance pays the rest. If anything goes wrong with the install or some sort of adaptation is required then there is no finger pointing between the glass shop and the dealership.

adam1991

Banned
I don't understand why people don't have a low comprehensive deductible and why they don't just go to the dealer to get their windshield repaired.

I'll answer those in reverse order:

2) some dealers don't do the glass repair. Best case, they'll broker the deal--but bring in Safelite or someone similar. Of course, Safelite cannot re-calibrate all the DAP systems, so the dealer has to do that.

1) A low comprehensive deductible means higher premiums, and it's been proven that you're silly to pay those premiums. Instead, save the money on premiums and IF the need arises, pay the deductible instead. You come out ahead in life.

Insurance isn't supposed to pay for small things. Insurance is for catastrophic things that you truly couldn't afford to cover yourself.

If you can't afford, say, a $500 deductible, then maybe you should re-evaluate your financial life. Frankly, a $1000 deductible isn't unreasonable at all. I have a $2000 deductible on my home insurance.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
agree...I have insurance for things I can't afford to replace. Easier said than done however. If you don't have $ it's hard to save it. There have been times in my life where a re-evaluation of my financials would come up to the same answer as the first evaluation: you are f****d

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Had my windshield replaced yesterday (Golf R, 2016). Safelite did it, cost me 200 (my deductible). Seemed to go well, the tech doing it owned a GTI and there were a bunch of Audis getting glass work done there, so the shop knew VW stuff pretty well. They had the glass in stock; I wonder if it's the same for, say, the Golf wagons, of which they sell a ton up here? Took like 1.5 hours to do the job.

The receipt listed the list price of the glass as about $608, sold for $278. Price before deductible, including replacement wiper blades, was about $476 with tax.

adam1991

Banned
I might add, if the insurance claim is a standard claim, you risk your premiums going up with stuff like this.

So paying a higher premium up front for a low deductible, then using that insurance to cover a $500 repair because "dude, low deductible, my windshield cost me only $50!" causes your premiums to be even higher down the road.

It's a vicious cycle.