GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake & Exhaust, NO TUNE

HikerDude90

I used the search feature but couldn't find anything regarding this topic. Even dyno's I saw all had tunes.

Given VW has a "we're sorry about the diesels" 6 yr / 72k mile warranty, and I don't want to give that up on a tune, how will an intake & exhaust affect the car? Both positively and negatively.

Thanks!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Look into JB4, try searching on Google also like "golf mk7 jb4" yields much better results than the forum search.

People gonna be mean to you if you post stuff like what kind of HP can I expect from an intake :p

Welcome to the forum.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
In terms of just power benefits, they are both a waste of money. You can pay $800+ dollars for a cat back exhaust and get 2hp or you can spend $800 or less dollars and get 50+ hp from a tune. This is primarily why you aren't seeing any dynos of just an exhaust or intake.

JC_451 is right though. If you are concerned about warranty, just get the JB4 unit. It is a plug and play device. Once unplugged there is no evidence that you ever had a tune.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Baun Performace downpipe and JB1.

*edit*
I say JB1 because it'll pretty much max out the "safe" power limit for manual trans. You could get the JB4... but then you'll start playing with the map settings.... And you can get a JB1 for less.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Downpipe alone can increase 20-30whp, add Jb4 and you can gain 50-60whp. Add an intercooler and you’ve got that power consistently no matter what the weather is. Even at that point an intake won’t do much other than sound cool.

On the flip side a dealership who isn’t mod friendly can give you a hard time for those or really any bolt ons. CEL can occur even with a proper spacer, while rare it’s something to consider.

Exhaust drone can also be an issue with just a downpipe, but there are relatively cheap solutions for that as well.

These are great cars out of the box, but if you’re willing to spend a few bucks can run with cars in a much higher price range

Ezyrider

Ready to race!
I have a Borla Catback on my 2017 GTI Sport Mt

I bought and paid for a 10yr 70k bumper to bumper warranty

I too am not willing to risk losing my warranty, so no tune yet.

Very happy with the Borla , as it sounds like it should, AWESOME!

Also as the ecm made some adjustments on its own , I feel a bit more midrange oomph , my brain I’m sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro