GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8T clutch creaking noise

Sunshine2017

Have a 2015 1.8 Golf TSI w/ 14K miles. Started noticing a creaking noise when depressing and letting out the clutch at around 13k miles, accompanied with mild feedback in the clutch (depressing the pedal feels "crunchy") Can hear it inside the car and outside.

Took it to the VW dealer last week and they ended up replacing the clutch pedal assembly under warranty.

Driving off the lot it felt fine, noise was gone and clutch felt smooth, drove straight home. Later when I went to go run some errands, noticed the noise/feel was back again and is still continuing.

Anyone ever had this / any ideas to what it is? My warranty is up in a few months, going to call the dealer back up soon and see what they have to say. Just curious if anyone here may have some theories on what the issue is.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKhRuMeo6iE

Thanks

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Mine will make a slight squeaking noise every once in a while, but nothing like that. Ironshade, maybe you should get it checked out too.

Sunshine2017

Mine has made that noise/feeling sence I bought it new... so it is what it is

Is yours the launch edition? It doesn't bother you at all? It just seems...not normal. Clutch movement should feel smooth and not creak like that in a "new" car like this, at least in my opinion.

Mine will make a slight squeaking noise every once in a while, but nothing like that. Ironshade, maybe you should get it checked out too.

How does your clutch pedal movement feel on the launch edition? Smooth as butter?

Bringing it back to the dealer this week to get them to take another look.

2015 with 14k miles and warranty almost up?
On the basic warranty, yes (36mo. / 36k miles)

Je325i

Any update on this? Currently having same issue on 2017 tsi. Clutch pedal was also replaced by dealer to no avail. So frustrating in traffic!

Sunshine2017

Any update on this? Currently having same issue on 2017 tsi. Clutch pedal was also replaced by dealer to no avail. So frustrating in traffic!

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. Definitely frustrating stuff.

I took it back to the dealer a few months after their 1st fix, and they replaced the clutch slave cylinder (under warranty) this time, which appeared to fix it for a few months.

However, the noise/feeling has creeped back recently. Not as severe as in my video, and not as consistently, but enough to annoy me. Took it in to the dealer a couple weeks ago. They detected a "slight noise coming from the linkage" and determined that this was "Normal operation per VW spec. working as designed"

Honestly, I don't see how that's "normal". What's normal to me was when there was 0 noise after the clutch slave cylinder fix.

Best of luck, let me know what you're able to figure out!

Je325i

Thanks for the update. I agree, this can't be normal operation within spec. Mine is buttery smooth in the morning with zero noise and within the first 30 mins or so of driving the noise starts. By the afternoon its full blown "crunchy" feeling. I'm gonna take it back to the shop this week see what they say.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Could it be the master cylinder? Some years back, Nissan installed a number of master cylinders with internal rubber parts that weren't lubricated at the factory and they sqeaked. No amount of external spray would correct. I had one and it drove me nuts. Nissan finally replaced it under warranty.

Sunshine2017

Update from my end: been in touch with VW Corporate. Took my car to a different dealer this time, the regional case manager for VW corporate is in touch with them as well. They removed my transmission, found that the pressure plate forks were not even, and as a result, the clutch disc got damaged. They removed + replaced the pressure plate and disc under warranty (woohoo!)

Was buttery smooth out of the dealer. That thing felt great. Drove 35 minutes home, parked and did one last double check. Depress the clutch, noise is back again.

At this point not really sure what the next step is outside of telling my rep "didn't work". I assume a creaky/noisy clutch may be "as designed"? If so, what a disappointment.

May look into taking it to a 3rd party mechanic.

Last edited:

ARBAMX

Car(s)
Golf Comfor 1.4 2019
I have a 2019 Mk7.5 (22000 Km, north Mexico). The same issue, same noise. I took it to the dealer. They made a wrong diagnosis and got the Master Cylinder replaced. Just before taking it out of the dealer, told the mechanic the issue and sound was still there. He confirmed the issue and I am waiting for the slave cylinder replacement.

During the first year (2019-2020) I did not experience that strange noise. On the other hand, during cold weather and specially during the morning the sound is not there. During the day while driving and as soon the motor temperature increases, the sound comes back. Quite annoying for me. Definitely this is not normal operation-VW Spec, otherwise this could have happened since the very beginning.

I will keep posting further information about this issue as soon as i have it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I did not . It seems they put some at the VW dealer but anyhow this was done during my visit there and not before. Why are you asking?
Cuz the clutch shares fluid with the brake reservoir. ATE Blue has been known to cause squeaking in the brake and clutch pedals.