GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any idea what could be wrong with my car?

armedferret

Ready to race!
looks like it's the brakes.

just a thought, but if my car has 40k miles on it (it's difficult to see due to the quality of the video) and i'm getting warnings on the dash for "brakes" on a car that has wear sensors on the pads....maybe that's a good spot to start?

Semi Cole

looks like it's the brakes.

just a thought, but if my car has 40k miles on it (it's difficult to see due to the quality of the video) and i'm getting warnings on the dash for "brakes" on a car that has wear sensors on the pads....maybe that's a good spot to start?
Nah it's not the brakes, just had it serviced at 40k and brakes still had plenty of life in them. Think that brake warning is just a symptom of whatever is wrong.

Semi Cole

You need a new battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tested the battery this morning and got right around 12v. All the lights and instruments are working fine as well, so I wasn't sure if it was the battery, but that was my hunch as well.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I tested the battery this morning and got right around 12v. All the lights and instruments are working fine as well, so I wasn't sure if it was the battery, but that was my hunch as well.
Yup battery...12v even is a little low

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
As others have said, its the battery. With everything in the new cars based on electronic sensors, when the battery starts to die, the cars go haywire.

As an extreme example, in my 2001 E46 BMW my battery started to die while I was driving down the road. I got a transmission error and the car refused to shift out of 2nd gear. My brake wear sensors blinked, and the parking brake light kept flashing. I had to drive 10 miles in 2nd gear... it was not pleasant.

Replaced the battery and all was good.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yeah BMW's are notorious for this when the battery needs to be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely the batteries. With Accessory ON, you read 12 which is enough to keep the dash lights and others happy.

But when you crank the engine, due to the starter load, the voltage gets pulled down to 8 volts or lower. Low enough to make the dashboard lights and controllers to go nuts., hence the infamous clicking sound and the christmas light show.