GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stupid question. Take it easy on me :)

mskgti

If you tune 2 stock GTI's, one is PP and the other isn't, are they going to have the same power or the PP will be more powerful? I know it's only 10hp, and every engine is slightly different, but is there anything different between the two? Or is the PP only factory tuned to give that extra 10hp?

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
If you tune 2 stock GTI's, one is PP and the other isn't, are they going to have the same power or the PP will be more powerful? I know it's only 10hp, and every engine is slightly different, but is there anything different between the two? Or is the PP only factory tuned to give that extra 10hp?
I believe they will both have the same power. The 10hp is moot when both cars are tuned since they will both have the same exact file.

However the PP still has LSD and bigger brakes so it might end up still being faster depending on the circumstances.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If PP and non PP cars have the same tune, i would expect them to have the same power output.

armedferret

Ready to race!
I believe they will both have the same power. The 10hp is moot when both cars are tuned since they will both have the same exact file.

However the PP still has LSD and bigger brakes so it might end up still being faster depending on the circumstances.

Actually the smaller brakes would make for less unsprung weight so....maybe not. :p

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I think the 10hp was just sales pitch. At the end of the day the mk7 is underrated by VW. So the world may never know if the pp actually made more power or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'd be willing to bet PP cars dont make a single extra hp.

Mine made 216whp SAE corrected, showroom stock. I highly doubt a non-PP car would have made 206.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Engine internals are identical between the PP and base GTI. As stated before, the 10hp is provided by nothing more than an incredibly mild factory tune. So, when you replace that with anything provided by the aftermarket, both models should provide identical performance.

What will differ is how they put that performance onto the tarmac, as the LSD, larger brakes, and stiffer rear sway bar will allow the PP GTI to better utilize the expanded performance envelope afforded by a tune.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Actually the smaller brakes would make for less unsprung weight so....maybe not. :p

I don't think the difference in unsprung weight will make up for the fact that the larger brakes allow you to brake later going into corners, while the diff gets you through those corners faster.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The extra 10PS for the P is to offset the increased 31 to 32kg extra weight of the PP.

This keeps the power to weight ratio the same as the standard GTI.

Of the 31 to 32kg the Front Diff Lock is 11.5kg which means the other 20.5kg is the brake system...& most of that is unsprung...

From brake manufacturers specs the increase from 312mm disc to 340mm disc adds 3kg per disc each side..so that's 6kg on the front axle. The rear disc from 300mm solid to 310mm vented adds 2kg per disc each side so that's 4kg. So out of the 20.5kg, 10kg is just the discs alone! Some of the weight will also be in the bigger callipers & larger brackets (calliper carrier) on the front, can't find the weight specifics ATM.

so add loads of unsprung weight, & just enough power to counter act the overall additional weight increase to keep the p/w ratio the same as the standard GTI......then sell to joe public as "performance"......marketing BS win...

Sorry but in my book "performance" means increasing power & reducing the weight of the car....especially the unsprung weight...

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
same tunes "should" have same hp, but stuff in the real world varies more than on paper. as far as the question you asked consider them the same after tuning (hp wise)

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Same power, but PP will be faster. In addition to improved traction, the VAQ should have less drivetrain losses and result in higher wheel horsepower. I'd be really curious to see if anyone has dyno'ed a PP and non-PP back to back to validate.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Same power, but PP will be faster. In addition to improved traction, the VAQ should have less drivetrain losses and result in higher wheel horsepower. I'd be really curious to see if anyone has dyno'ed a PP and non-PP back to back to validate.

You'd almost have to dyno about 5 of each back to back to eliminate rng for such a small difference.