GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD Service?

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Here we go again..

Right? And the definition for systems like this never change with technology. Since it's not from the 50's, then it can't be called an lsd? BS. By the very meaning of the 3 words, the PP uses a limited slip diff. Now if one wants to further explain how it functions compared to other lsd's, knock yourself out. But it's still an lsd.

Stop being so anal you could make diamonds.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Right? And the definition for systems like this never change with technology. Since it's not from the 50's, then it can't be called an lsd? BS. By the very meaning of the 3 words, the PP uses a limited slip diff. Now if one wants to further explain how it functions compared to other lsd's, knock yourself out. But it's still an lsd.

Stop being so anal you could make diamonds.

I like the fact you purposely do not quote the section in that post where I state why you might call it an LSD & the link to the wiki page on LSD's.

The VW engineers docs & makers don't call it an LSD for a very good reason which I explained...

keep burying your head in the sand.....:D

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Bottom line forum members, is thanks for bringing this up.
I checked my manual on page 50 and is does state service at 3 years.
No mention of miles.
So I will plan on my 50,000 service in about 5,000 which will fall close to 3 years.
I will need to show dealer the page so they can prepare for work if not known by mechanics.

If anyone works on before, please make a DIY post with pics on fill and drain locations, oil and amount would be good for others.

What ever it is, I have one and will maintain it.

Thanks.

As I stated in a previous post on this thread:-

Quote from the VW workshop manuals "oil change every 3yrs regardless of mileage"

quantity 570ml (+ or - 30ml)...

Oil must be 20C to 40C & you got to use a funnel & tube to fill it.....

renew both the oil drain plug & o ring washer if fitted....15Nm torque

thats just the main highlights from the workshop manuals....

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Quote from the VW workshop manuals "oil change every 3yrs regardless of mileage"

Thanks.
Next time under I will look around.

armedferret

Ready to race!

Smashing, thank you sir!

bluedoggiant

Ready to race!
I know some guys who have never had lsd service. The reason vw doesn't push is because the service is literally a huge cost leech to them. It's not in their business to push lsd service as a lot of owners won't notice it's lack of running 100% and probably is top 5% in terms of a maintenance item cost.

What do you mean not running 100%.

If mechanical damage occurs it will rear it’s end, how will owners not notice that.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Would it be better to buy a S then buy a lsd or does the FXD do just as good of job?

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
This works fine.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here are screenshots of the "front" PDF pages for the "Front Diff Lock" in the MK7 Golf, manual gearbox & DSG gearbox official VW workshop manuals...

Note NO mention of the phrase "LSD"....either in the left side chapter listings....

Attachments

• Front-diff-lock-reduced.jpg
    Front-diff-lock-reduced.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 834
  • FDL-DSG-reduced.jpg
    FDL-DSG-reduced.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here's just one double page screenshot from the "Self study guide" on the Front Diff Lock in the MK7 GTI/GTD PDF.

Note the differences (minor) between it & the AWD Haldex unit, & again no mention of the phrase LSD....

Attachments

• SSFDL-reduced.jpg
    SSFDL-reduced.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 782
Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Are you stripping it down and building a track car?

If not the factory unit (giggity) should do just fine for a very long time.

I'll add that unless you are adding power beyond what the FXD can handle, it's superior to an LSD in most situations. LSD are essentially semi-open diffs - they still try to send power to the wheel with the least resistance but are mechanically limited such that a percentage of the power always goes to the wheel that grips. Because it's a mechanical system, there's not much to break and it's very predictable; they provide good "feel" for what the car is doing and there's no lag in sending power to the gripping wheel. The FXD is able to adjust the torque spit by locking and opening to varying degrees, which means more grip, better turn in and better ability to put down power; the downside is it's a complex system and there can be a little lag as the system reacts to what you'rte doing, but you won't notice it in everyday driving. It does everything an LSD does, but better; just don't call it an LSD or golfdave will get you.