GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Here is a random / possibly stupid question. I recently bought a 2013 Golf 2.0 Bluemotion GT Tech Tdi and i've started noticing a strange noise. It usually happens a few seconds to a few moments after I open / shut a door, I hear a weird thumping noise from the interior of the car. Any one ever come across this before, and is it something I should be concerned about? My car has leather interior, was wondering if it was due to heat / pressure build up and the leather seats "creaking"?? Or is it coming from somewhere else in my car, I have no idea what it could be!
my 2017 GTI makes numerous noises when walking up to it and closing doors etc. pressure doesn't sound right as culprite...windows down and stick head in to try and isolate.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
So my R just started making a weird creaking noise coming from several places (sounds like lower portion more so in the front and around doors maybe) whenever I back out of my drive and have to drive down the hump or whenever there is unevenness in the road going slow speeds. I have read a few people complaining about the subframe shifting make noises. does this sound like that? I would like to know before I spend the money on a deadest kit.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like the typical door noise to me. Try lubing your door seals first.

Yep. Agree.

Krytox GPL-205 inside the door top seal “flap”. Sailkote on top of door top seal “felt”.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My door creaking disappeared when I tightened the 10mm 12-point bolts on each door frame:

The driver's door was the only one making noise. But both front doors needed about a 1/4-turn. The rear doors were still tight.

2015csgGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay this might be a stupid question but I guess this is the right place to ask. How come when my RPM’s hit the redline the computer automatically cuts power, rather than allow it to redline or what not?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So you don't overspeed the engine, grenade it, claim that VW should cover it under warranty and provide a suitable loaner car, then drag VW into court after they deny your claim for abusing your car.

The government isn't the only entity that protects us from ourselves. ;)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
My door creaking disappeared when I tightened the 10mm 12-point bolts on each door frame:

The driver's door was the only one making noise. But both front doors needed about a 1/4-turn. The rear doors were still tight.

Oh fuck you. I have been thinking something like this might be the case. Now I need to check it out. It makes so much sense that something has to be just slightly not tight enough to allow movement during body flex.

If I do find mine "loose", I think I'll take them out and loctite them. Thanks for the heads up.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Oh fuck you. I have been thinking something like this might be the case. Now I need to check it out. It makes so much sense that something has to be just slightly not tight enough to allow movement during body flex.

If I do find mine "loose", I think I'll take them out and loctite them. Thanks for the heads up.

hahahahaha "oh fuck you." i appreciate your sense of humor, but this is the internet. not so sure if the other guy will

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Okay this might be a stupid question but I guess this is the right place to ask. How come when my RPM’s hit the redline the computer automatically cuts power, rather than allow it to redline or what not?

Which "red line" The beginning thin red line at like 6200 RPM? Or the actual thick red line at 7000 or so? I've gotten well into the red range with no throttle cut. Might be different on DSG. I've got manual

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Which "red line" The beginning thin red line at like 6200 RPM? Or the actual thick red line at 7000 or so? I've gotten well into the red range with no throttle cut. Might be different on DSG. I've got manual
DSG (at least on stock TCU) automatically upshifts right before 7000, so they might be 6MT and talking about the thick red line fuel cut

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah it’s a 6MT, and yeah I figured that’s the obvious reason, I was just asking why that’s the only car I know of that does that

Really? You've driven a car that allowed you to overrev it? Or multiple cars that did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Really? You've driven a car that allowed you to overrev it? Or multiple cars that did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not over-rev, I think he's referring to the redline bounce you'll see in other (older?) cars. They'll let you bounce off of the rev-limiter rather than cutting the engine.

Think early Honda race videos.