GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
For sure it should already have the delete built in, or at least an option.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
All that effort and you can't get it with an emblem delete?
Why? The front end looks so plain with an emblem.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

drshark

Ready to race!

For what it's worth, I went a different route, Revozport -- 13 lbs. vs. 35 lbs. stock. But I have to admit it's really expensive weight loss; it's the aesthetics for me. The pics hint at paint imperfections, but in person it's flawless.

The factory look works for me. I've been happy with the hood, other than the black paint flakes off the vent mesh covers. Metal's too glossy, I think. So, I touch them up every few months. Just takes a couple minutes...

Shawn

Attachments

• PS4 front quarter final.jpg
    PS4 front quarter final.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 4,446
  • Hood final.jpg
    Hood final.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 2,254

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I want to eventually but can't justify it. inb4 all the flak that comes in for people hating on CF hoods. I would get one of the first two with the vents and leave it plain, no paint or wrap. I love the look.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Some thoughts:

1. I'd only go to a CF hood if it also helped duct the air from the radiator/intercooler/AC out from the engine bay, instead of flowing under the car--the weight savings doesn't justify the cost unless this is for a track car. Drshark's Revozport hood (which I've been lusting over for quite some time now) does that, as would the first two from Seibon on your list. Not only do the ducts help with airflow management, typically reducing drag, they also help to lower underhood temps a bit--Drshark can probably speak to the latter more definitively.

2. If you do go with a ducted hood, check to see where those ducts open into under the hood--some have additional ducting beneath to route the underhood air. If your car is a DD, you don't want too much rain/snow going straight onto your electrical components if you can avoid it.

3. As many on the Internet have said before, CF body parts can degrade in appearance from prolonged exposure to the Sun's UV rays. The CF manufacturing process as well as the hood's top-coat sealer are critical in this respect, if you want to show off the CF to everyone. I'd want to know more about my hood in this respect before ordering one. However, if you go and have it painted for a bit more stealth, ala Drshark, you can just forget about what I just wrote here.

4. Last, there's the stuff about hood pins. Seibon says that their hoods require them, which means (with 99% probability) that the standard hood latch either won't work with their hood due to the specific stresses on the hood, or that the hood has no fittings to attach the latch post. Either way, do you want a CF hood that tells every thief who sees it that there may be goodies ready for the taking right below? Me? I'd message Drshark to double check that his hood uses the standard VW locking mechanism, as it appears to do.

For what it's worth, I've been on the fence about doing this mod myself for a while now.

drshark

Ready to race!
Thanks, Al; here’s a few responses below...
Shawn

1. Not only do the ducts help with airflow management, typically reducing drag, they also help to lower underhood temps a bit--Drshark can probably speak to the latter more definitively.
>>>At the risk of re-igniting forum conflict—yes, the vents work. My data: for better or worse, the engine takes significantly longer to reach full operational temperature.

2. If you do go with a ducted hood, check to see where those ducts open into under the hood--some have additional ducting beneath to route the underhood air.
>>>Yes, mine has channels that carry water back to the main water drains.

3. However, if you go and have it painted for a bit more stealth, ala Drshark, you can just forget about what I just wrote here.
>>>Well, enough said. But you can see the weave through the paint, so people come up and comment on the CF hood.

4. I'd message Drshark to double check that his hood uses the standard VW locking mechanism, as it appears to do.
>>>Yes, it does use the normal mechanism.

For what it's worth, I've been on the fence about doing this mod myself for a while now.
>>>It’s pure vanity with little value. But with the rear spoiler, hood, and wheels/tires, my R now looks the part without being OTT. Next up: aggressive diffuser. The wife commented positively on a GLA 45’s after market diffuser the other day...

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
For once a carbon fiber hood thread with useful information and no hostility!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cb1111

I'd be careful using these on a daily driver. The hood is intended to deform to comply with pedestrian safety requirements. Will this hood deform (or break in a specified way) or will it break and leave sharp pointed bits?

I'm not going to hit a pedestrian, you say, but if you do then their heirs will own you.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'd be careful using these on a daily driver. The hood is intended to deform to comply with pedestrian safety requirements. Will this hood deform (or break in a specified way) or will it break and leave sharp pointed bits?

I'm not going to hit a pedestrian, you say, but if you do then their heirs will own you.

It's not hard to keep from hitting pedestrians. Simply put the phone down and you increase your odds of not hitting someone by almost 100%.

cb1111

It's not hard to keep from hitting pedestrians. Simply put the phone down and you increase your odds of not hitting someone by almost 100%.

LOL

Really, that was good!
Makes perfect sense. I guess there were zero pedestrian injuries or deaths prior to 1990.

Clearly, cell phone use and texting have played an increase in accidents, but they aren't the only (or even the main) cause of car vs pedestrian accidents.

Manufacturers have spent lots of money and time trying to reduce pedestrian fatalities. Crush zones have gotten larger, windshields have gotten "softer" and hoods have pre-identified areas where they will deform.

If I were a pedestrian that was hit by some idiot texting (or not) and he had a carbon fiber hood without factory pedestrian safety requirements built in, then my heirs will have won the powerball - and all of it would be tax free.

civicdrivr

Ready to race!
I see the fun police has joined the conversation...