GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I would be very cautious to put a no name turbo on my car as well and definitely no Chinese crap so I stayed away from VTT. Did not like Vargas reviews from BMW world or his condescending approach to prospective customers. I'm picky and basically have my mind set but like to stay on top of new releases, read the feedback and so on. I do know a couple people that have had issues with their Boss kits. I am glad yours has been solid so far.

I was waiting for an answer on this too, so to paraphrase, because CTS has questionable quality products across their line, you'd personally stay away from the brand. Completely understandable.

However I'd also say that being the only bolt on Garrett turbo that uses the OEM style downpipe/intake/DV/WG, etc. etc. it's got some value and might be worth some hassle. That perspective is tough to disagree on, right?

I 100% agree on not wanting to just put any ol' thing on my car. VTT/Vargas was a dick on his thread and I noped out, couldn't pay me to run his turbo even if rainbows shot out my exhaust.

I'm watching this thread though, because the value and performance proposition is very strong with this one.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I was waiting for an answer on this too, so to paraphrase, because CTS has questionable quality products across their line, you'd personally stay away from the brand. Completely understandable.

However I'd also say that being the only bolt on Garrett turbo that uses the OEM style downpipe/intake/DV/WG, etc. etc. it's got some value and might be worth some hassle. That perspective is tough to disagree on, right?

I 100% agree on not wanting to just put any ol' thing on my car. VTT/Vargas was a dick on his thread and I noped out, couldn't pay me to run his turbo even if rainbows shot out my exhaust.

I'm watching this thread though, because the value and performance proposition is very strong with this one.

The only upside in their kit is the Garrett core, but their quality issues come from the housing that CTS machined. For example wastegate coming loose, DV fitment, questionable BOV quality that you had to use on the Boss600 until the quiet redesign of their compressor housing and so on..

I am patiently waiting for the Pagparts TRX kit which will also use a Garrett core, have a better flowing exhaust housing, more sizing options as well as turbine upgrades available. He was supposed to release the kit at the beginning of the year but is pushing back the date until he thinks it's perfect. I do have a track record with Pagparts on my mk1 TT so I am somewhat biased.

The EQT turbo is definitely on top of my contender list for a daily turbo, I'm seriously eying this one for my wife's Alltrack. At first I'm going to run my is38 on that thing, then might steal the wagon from her and make her buy another car. :D

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The only upside in their kit is the Garrett core, but their quality issues come from the housing that CTS machined. For example wastegate coming loose, DV fitment, questionable BOV quality that you had to use on the Boss600 until the quiet redesign of their compressor housing and so on..

I am patiently waiting for the Pagparts TRX kit which will also use a Garrett core, have a better flowing exhaust housing, more sizing options as well as turbine upgrades available. He was supposed to release the kit at the beginning of the year but is pushing back the date until he thinks it's perfect. I do have a track record with Pagparts on my mk1 TT so I am somewhat biased.

The EQT turbo is definitely on top of my contender list for a daily turbo, I'm seriously eying this one for my wife's Alltrack. At first I'm going to run my is38 on that thing, then might steal the wagon from her and make her buy another car. :D

Got it, I know I've heard of some of these issues, but I've also heard of people running the old and V2 kits without issue after setup...so I have to give a bit of credit to installer error on a % of those complaints. You only ever hear about issues, and they tend to be louder than praise. That's true with any product.

I agree that someone like PAG or Iroz is by far a better PRODUCT for a full frame turbo, and I have seen some teasers on PAG stuff and have followed MK6 kits in the past, but I'm not sure I have patience (or more honestly money) for some of the more boutique brand kits out there.

$2k for a 500hp Hybrid is a real sweet spot, and EQT is looking pretty good right now.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The Pag Parts kit will be like $4500-5500 if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah they are.

I wonder how long my IS38 will last on this much boost...:rolleyes:

Dude I used to say the same quote all the time, and look at me now. Don't wait. Get out of your is38 and buy something. its still worth 700-800 vs only 300 or so blown. fuck IHI.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
The Pag Parts kit will be like $4500-5500 if I remember correctly.

I was told around $3595 actually. You start adding things like turbine upgrade, optional 4" downpipe and intake/IC pipes and it will be in the range you say. For me it makes sense to opt for the downpipe so I can swap the one from the R over to the Alltrack, but you can use any brand DP just like with the BOSS kit.

Enough thread jacking from me, in for more EQT dynos and impressions. :cool:

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
He said that number to me while I was at his shop getting a TVS tune ?*♀️. Maybe I heard him wrong.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I wonder how many here have a big turbo car ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There are at least a few who have big turbos on this forum. Some Iroz, apr, boss and hybrid guys for sure. I run a boss600 and have had none of the issues stated earlier in this thread, I did have an issue with a sensor that at the time was/came wired backwards and it took awhile to figure out during initial install/tuning but that was on precision raceworks mpi kit installed at same time, personally I’m very happy with my setup for the price and have had good luck with the few cts parts I have, their intake, dv and their turbo kit although I’m a fan of Garrett, they’re basically bulletproof in my experience. Although I’ve read some issues with certain cts parts but not related to the turbo kit that couldn’t be attributed to install error.

There are more and more options coming out as time goes by (which is awesome) and really only you can decide what’s right for you, if money is no object you can’t go wrong with a pricier Iroz kit, but to actually get your moneys worth you’ll be building the block and trans and build and port the head, on a stock block/head car they seem to be able to take basically anything a boss500 or hybrid can throw at them, the apr, boss600 or Iroz kits seem to work just fine if you limit the tq on the stock motor/trans, I’m talking dsg, we all know you need to upgrade the manual at earlier hp levels. Really there are a bunch of options, you’re going to have to research, wade through all the bs and make a decision that right for yourself and your specific intended budget.

The most important thing that seems to get overlooked is the tuning of any of these kits, unless it’s dialed in expect to be disappointed, and for those of us who don’t have access to an excellent tuner locally, this means endless data logging and tune revisions or picking a kit that is supported by one of the big tuners, then slightly less data logging and tune revisions :)

Last edited:

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Everyone says Mabo's M480 is pricey IDGI? :confused: It's only $2950??? That's cheaper than CTS BOSS500.. and it has better and lighter aero wheels.. smoother casting, and direct bolt-on.

On the topic of EQT they really have a good thing going with this journal bearing turbo. For the cost as I was told by a dealer was like $1800. That's crazy price for a new cast turbo, not a hybrid, that's able to hit 500whp. And I agree like everyone said VTT drop the ball on the launch of his turbo. I see no reason to get that since EQT has this offering.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Everyone says Mabo's M480 is pricey IDGI? :confused: It's only $2950??? That's cheaper than CTS BOSS500.. and it has better and lighter aero wheels.. smoother casting, and direct bolt-on.

On the topic of EQT they really have a good thing going with this journal bearing turbo. For the cost as I was told by a dealer was like $1800. That's crazy price for a new cast turbo, not a hybrid, that's able to hit 500whp. And I agree like everyone said VTT drop the ball on the launch of his turbo. I see no reason to get that since EQT has this offering.

you may want to check his site
$3950 + $1000 for tune
https://www.mabotech.net/product/mqb-stage-3/

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Website price is outdated, even Ed(EQT) knows it's $2950 for M480

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
It's a real shame that in 2018 companies selling parts primarily online don't maintain a basic website and rely on word of mouth or reposted Facebook or Instagram posts. So strange.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk