GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

When did your break-in smell go away?

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
When did your drive-train break in smell go away? I have 2600 miles on it and i still smell it on and off. Because i garage this car, the smell does linger for a little bit and it is unpleasant when it does give the smell off.

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If you are talking about the exterior smell of metal "burning in" (mostly the exhaust), that should go away soon.

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
The smell was awful took about 6 weeks to be fully gone. Must have to gave HVAC or windows to get rid of it, because it was sitting at a dealership from whenever it got there after it's November build until June.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
When did your drive-train break in smell go away? I have 2600 miles on it and i still smell it on and off. Because i garage this car, the smell does linger for a little bit and it is unpleasant when it does give the smell off.

Is it a hot oil smell? A few people have posted about defective PCV systems leaking crankcase vapors out. They smell hot crankcase vapors after parking their cars hot, or inside the cabin through the vents after a hot start or after idling at a long light.

I had that smell even after 4000 miles until the dealer diagnosed it as oil seeping out of the oil cap and onto the exhaust manifold. A new oil cap took care of it.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Is it a hot oil smell? A few people have posted about defective PCV systems leaking crankcase vapors out. They smell hot crankcase vapors after parking their cars hot, or inside the cabin through the vents after a hot start or after idling at a long light.

I had that smell even after 4000 miles until the dealer diagnosed it as oil seeping out of the oil cap and onto the exhaust manifold. A new oil cap took care of it.

No, just more like the gasses from a plastics/metals heating up. Hard to explain what is but definitely not any oil smells.

It is definitely less now at 2600 miles as oppose to when i just bought it.